View Full Version : Anyone heard of hiring pilots for BAe146/RJ?

JumpinJackFlash
20th Mar 2009, 15:38
Anyone heard of hiring pilots for BAe146/RJ?

Current economic climate making my position at my present company pretty uncertain.

Thx in advance.

Giggey
20th Mar 2009, 17:02
Hi.
Swiss european (Swiss) based in Zurich is hiring throw Pas Aviation rated F/o.
The contract is very good

Check it out

cheers

angelorange
20th Mar 2009, 18:21
Fine if you are under 38 years old. Over that and no jobs offered.

NB: Swiss do not have ageism law.

A Very Civil Pilot
21st Mar 2009, 07:08
From wynnwith:

TRI/ TRE BAE146 Captain
TRI/ TRE BAE146 Captain required for summer contract in Europe.

http:///bae-146-jobs/tri-tre-bae146-captain-0

tatin
21st Mar 2009, 10:21
Ameriflight Abu Dhabi, see Flt Int.

Jetfella
21st Mar 2009, 11:03
The Europe one is actually,Greece,another "come and work for nothin",you mean you want pay as well as a beach?....no thanks!;)

Ribarros
22nd Mar 2009, 19:59
Star Peru. They have aldeady a couple and are buying two else.
Good luck

IFLy4Free
23rd Mar 2009, 03:47
There was a post on climb to 350 about 10 days ago with Indonesia as a base country....start up carrier

remoak
23rd Mar 2009, 10:10
Lots of out-of-work 146 drivers around, so probably not many opportunities unless you re-train.

acebaxter
25th Mar 2009, 05:07
There's a guy on Airline Pilot Central forums, under foriegn carriers, who is looking for JAA and FAA Avro Captains. Don't know where the job is but it can't hurt to ask.Good luck,Jim

RICCARDOVOLANTE
25th Mar 2009, 06:04
Albanian airlines needs BAE146 pilots now.
RV

airfixed
25th Mar 2009, 16:59
There are some 146/RJ jobs out there but most seem to be for experienced captains. Undoubtedly the best deal is with Swiss (PAS). However as the lease costs keep dropping and the worldwide parked fleet continues to increase (aparently now numbering in excess of 100 146's and RJ's), so I guess the chances of one or two being snapped up do increase. Try keeping abreast of the 146/RJ world at www.Smiliner.com (http://www.Smiliner.com) it can be a useful source of news and info' on the airlines flying the 146.

I do hear murmerings of a 146 operation starting up in Europe this summer with one possibly two aircraft... Here's hoping.

remoak
26th Mar 2009, 00:55
That's not a re-incarnation of Nex Aviation, is it? The Irish carrier that was working with Aer Arann last year and stopped operating when their AOC holder, Flightline, bit the dust?

Last I heard they were trying to find another AOC to tag on to, but nobody was keen. Maybe they bought Flightline's AOC which I imagine was for sale at a knock-down price...

airfixed
26th Mar 2009, 19:12
As far as I am aware Nex never ceased trading and therefore is still in existence albeit without crews or an AOC, but with one 146-200! I have heard that there is going to be some kind of tie up with Aer Arann for the summer, don't know any more than that. Hope it works out for them.:)

remoak
26th Mar 2009, 22:46
Yes they still show on the companies register as active.

I doubt they will be working with Aer Arann again, as Aer Arann have already announced that they will not be serving Faro and Malaga this year. Neither of those two destinations appear on the Aer Arann booking system.

Heard a rumour that they were trying to pick up some ex-Flightline work with Ford.

airfixed
26th Mar 2009, 23:11
Those routes were operated last year as a franchise deal between Nex and Aer Arann. I believe this year it will be a different set up with different routes.

Nex would have a better chance of getting the old Fligtline IAC oil contract in ABZ (which is due for renewal June 2010) than the Ford work out of SEN, but this is a strange business and anything can happen!

Hopefully it will result in some jobs for 146 drivers.

remoak
1st Apr 2009, 00:31
Well they are leaving it a bit late... nothing on the Aer Arann website indicates any further alliances. Nex have precisely no chance of getting the IAC contract, unless of course thet find themselves an AOC, lots of money and a few more aircraft. I'd suspect it more likely that Eastern would "tool up" and make a concerted attempt to keep the IAC work.

I'm guessing that it will stagger on for while yet, but ultimately their 146 will end up being parted out...

dc9-32
1st Apr 2009, 06:56
JumpinJackFlash - you have a PM

JumpinJackFlash
1st Apr 2009, 13:52
Thanks for the replies and info guys. I've just landed a job elsewhere so the future is looking brighter.

All the best to you!

purmus
1st Apr 2009, 18:50
Glad to see theres some progress in the market. Im a 146 FO currently out of work. I have resorted to working through a list of 146/RJ operators and firing cv's at each one. Hopefully something will come of it

The 5Q
7th Apr 2009, 16:54
There are still rumors of Malaga and Faro being operated from Waterford via Nex/Aer Arann starting in June. If its going to happen it needs announced over the next few weeks otherwise its way to late to sell seats.

Nex Management who have been missing at winter have been active at Waterford last week.

5Q

Jetfella
11th Apr 2009, 09:42
According to Smiliner,Efly,were due to start 146-300 ops from Sicily on 20th April.
I notice Efly are listed on Speednews with Two 146-300 for sale or lease,so that doesnt bode well,maybe they didnt get the expected interest.

Actually,theres a load of 146 on that site up for grabs,some Avro too.

Jetfella
25th Apr 2009, 15:36
Nex/Aer Arann,not a runner.Not sure if their aircraft is up for sale or not,but there is whole load of 146's with tasty price tags.Might be the time to buy 2?

You couldnt give one away now.I have a friend who works for an aircraft leasing company in Ireland.He paints a gloomy pic,they have 33 toxic aircraft,either back in the lot,or awaiting pilots to manouevre them away from
ground equipment,at various locations.(I recently moved an ex Excel).

Used to be Ireland was blazing the trail in aviation.Now Ryanair in trouble,Aer lingus in limbo,Arann in no mans land,Cityjet on their knees.

But its wonderful when the sun is shining:O

banana head
25th Apr 2009, 23:25
Cityjet on their knees

Eh where did you hear that little gem Jetfella? Aside from LCY op's, my sources say they are doing fine and dandy. AF it seems are still smitten with WX, particularly with their tight cost base during the current situation - or have I been miss-informed??

remoak
27th Apr 2009, 13:43
Anyone know what happened to Efly? One minute they have a website up with a jobs page, next minute the site has been replaced by one for a Sicilian marina! Does this mean they are a non-starter?

airfixed
27th Apr 2009, 18:06
www.efly.it (http://www.efly.it) is working fine!

remoak
28th Apr 2009, 03:20
Sure is, must have been a hosting/DNS issue. Now, does anybody know whether these guys are likely to succeed? Not Club Air reborn, is it...?

waner
28th Apr 2009, 15:00
Hi everybody,
As JumpinJackFlash and for the same reason I am probably on short final in my compagny on Avro:bored:...

Thanks for all your news, and if you have some other ;)

Cheers.

airfixed
14th May 2009, 16:45
I have heard today from a reliable source that the Nex 146 (GTBIC) is going to be flying again soon. I was told that they are crewing it with a very low number of crews, so possibly just testing the waters. However it may have potential if and when business improves. Certainly sending a CV off to them might not be a bad idea.

remoak
15th May 2009, 05:32
So whose AOC are they using this time? Surely not RE?

Mister Geezer
17th May 2009, 02:46
So whose AOC are they using this time? Surely not RE?

Yes, its Aer Arann.

purmus
17th May 2009, 10:48
I have just tried the Nex Aviation website to find out more and it seems to be down. Anyone have any idea how to contact them?

Thanks

remoak
18th May 2009, 03:08
Yes, its Aer Arann.

Well good luck, but for the life of me I can't see that working. RE don't have the type on their AOC and they don't have the ability to oversee training or standards. If they wanted jets, they could just go and pick up some 146's themselves... cheap as chips at the moment.

But good luck, hope they succeed.

Mister Geezer
18th May 2009, 11:52
RE don't have the type on their AOC and they don't have the ability to oversee training or standards.

Sounds as if RE are trying to put the infrastructure in place.

Not sure where Nex are involved in this deal. Perhaps RE are going alone and are dry leasing the aircraft? :confused:

remoak
18th May 2009, 17:42
Well if you were going to go to all the trouble of putting the infrastructure in place for a new type - what would you need Nex for? They have nothing RE want in that scenario - no crews, no engineers, just a single 146... and that is worth virtually nothing now.

airfixed
18th May 2009, 21:38
I think these challenging times call for some imaginative thinking. Hence the Aer Arann and Nex connection. Aer Arann want to develop routes with larger, jet aircraft but the risks are high. Nex has an aircraft, crews and infastructure doing nothing and costing it money but no AOC. It does make some kind of sense for the two companies to get together. It certainly reduces the risk to Aer Arann and provides a potential source of income for Nex. Of course it remains to be seen if anything comes of the alliance.

remoak
18th May 2009, 23:59
Only problem with that is that they don't (or didn't) have any crews, they were all let go last year. same with the engineers. There were two admin people as far as I know. There is no infrastructure because there is no AOC - the infrastructure belonged to their last AOC holder (Flightline). Nex is basically a portacabin in Waterford.

Still... you never know!

EchoNovemberTango
19th May 2009, 00:58
National Jet (Cobham Air Services) In Australia.

Desperate for Pilots. but theres a good reason. hav alook in D&G at the threads, before you consider applying.

Mister Geezer
19th May 2009, 11:26
Most of the Nex crews have moved on by the looks of things.

spagiola
3rd Jun 2009, 11:02
If Nex really are planning to restart for the summer season, it's getting awfully late... Anyone hear anything new?

remoak
3rd Jun 2009, 11:15
They were talking to Aer Arann about possibly coming under their AOC, but I can't really see it happening because Aer Arann don't have the type on their AOC and if they went to all the trouble of getting the 146 added to their AOC, they wouldn't need Nex for anything.

Nex currently consists of a portakabin in Waterford and a few computers. The aircraft is in the UK somewhere on a storage maintenance program. There are no crews and no engineers. Most of the pilots seem to have gone to Efly so they won't be available to Nex.

And, as you say, it is really way too late now for a summer charter operation.

The Nex principals have deep pockets and so may hang on and try and make something work, but without an AOC, crews, engineers and only one (limited) 146, they have their work cut out.

It would be nice to see them back in the air, though.

Jetfella
3rd Jun 2009, 15:02
Aer Arann are looking for a BAe146 engineer on their jobs page.Interesting:)

spagiola
4th Jun 2009, 02:31
Aer Arann are looking for a BAe146 engineer on their jobs page

All I see is the following: There are currently no vacancies

remoak
4th Jun 2009, 03:47
That's because applications for the post closed yesterday. It was there, I saw the ad too.

It is interesting, but I still can't see why they would want to do it (ie put the 146 on their AOC and then get Nex to operate for them). Doesn't really make any sense. Although in Ireland, lots of stuff that doesn't make sense happens anyway... ;)

Also worth noting that the ad wasn't for a 146 engineer, it was for a manager who ideally has both 146 and ATR experience... ie the 146 bit wasn't a requirement.

Jetfella
4th Jun 2009, 10:16
Just to clarify,

the ad was for a Technical services "engineer",

the ideal candidate would have:

Bae146/ATR experience.

And why would Aer Arann put the aircraft on their AOC?,the annual fee for one,using another carriers AOC doesn't come cheap.

Plus the percentage percapita accruing from any charter,schedule.wetlease.

and in these difficult times,would be a good bonus,

heres to green chutes(or is it shutes?):)

daraireland
4th Jun 2009, 10:30
How long will the 146's with cityjet be kept in service. Any word on replacing them anytime soon?

remoak
4th Jun 2009, 11:03
And why would Aer Arann put the aircraft on their AOC?

They wouldn't put the "aircraft" on their AOC, but they would have to put the TYPE on their AOC in order to operate it (or allow Nex to operate it). To do that, they have to put in place a training capablity and associated quality system, engineering capability and associated quality system, and have key 146-qualified staff in place to oversee standards for aircrew, cabin crew and engineers. They could POSSIBLY farm out the AOC stuff to someone else, but the fact is that there aren't many people still operating it in the First World. Cityjet wouldn't do it (because their owners won't let them), and that really only leaves only one possibility - and that airline has dealt with Nex before - and it ended in tears.

If they did put the type on their AOC, they wouldn't need Nex - all Nex have is one doggy old 146 with a lightweight (and limiting) undercarriage. There are plenty of 146's out there for lease or sale at very cheap prices.

Plus the percentage percapita accruing from any charter,schedule.wetlease.

and in these difficult times,would be a good bonus

They did that last year with Nex, and the return for the less-than-full flights wouldn't even come close to covering the cost of setting up the 146 on their AOC, even spread over a few years. Aer Arann didn't even bother trying to do it again this summer, so they can't have been too impressed with last year's performance.

How long will the 146's with cityjet be kept in service

AFAIK they are all either parked up or sold.

One thing is for sure, there is no word on the streets that Nex are looking for crews, so nothing can be happening anytime soon. The 146 pilot community is pretty small these days and word usually gets around pretty fast, particularly if the agencies are involved.

spagiola
4th Jun 2009, 11:45
Is it conceivable that Nex is paying RE to put the 146 on their AOC? Might be cheaper than Nex getting their own AOC.

remoak
4th Jun 2009, 11:54
Only marginally. Aer Arann would want to cover all their costs and also charge a premium for the use of their AOC. If Nex was paying for all that, they might as well do it themselves. Setting up an AOC is likely to cost well over a million Euros (conservatively), I'm pretty sure that if Nex had that sort of money, they would have had an AOC back in 2007.

Mister Geezer
4th Jun 2009, 12:37
An ex collegue of mine is involved in adding the BAe 146 to Aer Arran's AOC. That is second hand information but I am led to believe that they are at least giving it a shot.

Jetfella
4th Jun 2009, 13:18
Remoak,

whats that about the undercarriage?,I understood 146 to be particularly
robust in the dunlops department.

Citytjet have only one 146 in storage,their entire fleet is Avro RJ.

The pas job looks likely to be Nex,who already have 2 Capts and 2 F/os resident in Ireland,would they need more with one aircraft?

Aer Arann obviously have something afoot.

Did Efly ever get going anyone?I hear they are also looking for an AOC.

remoak
4th Jun 2009, 13:52
The PAS ad is probably Efly, they have been looking for TRE/TRIs for a while.

Efly is on track, just dotting the I's and crossing the T's from what I hear.

Not sure which Irish-resident pilots are with Nex, last I heard there were none, and at least three of their ex-pilots have signed up with Efly.

Some -200 series 146s had -100 series landing gear fitted, which limits the MTOW and MLW. You can tell by looking at the main U/C upper web, the normal -200 and -300 item is solid, but the earlier -100 series has big lightening holes in it. It can get particularly interesting when doing long sectors in the 146, as the MLW can be less than what you end up with on arrival, particularly if you have more than minimum fuel on board due to wx considerations. You then end up having to either burn fuel or get "creative" with the fuel log. This is mainly a problem if your destination alternate isn't close by. Flybe had this problem, the one aircraft they had with the lightweight gear couldn't be used for some charters because if you arrived at destination with minimum fuel and a full pax load, you were well over your MLW.

airfixed
4th Jun 2009, 16:45
Efly recruited a TRI/E two months ago, but who knows maybe they need more! All FO's are Italian and they have promised commands to three or four TR and experienced captains. None of the captains taken on are ex-Nex, I believe they are all ex-Flightline.

Nex have a number of qualified pilots who are available at short notice, however last I heard they were only crewing to a minimum level and as far as I know no one has been offered a contract yet, so they may well get other jobs in the meantime.

Sometimes it makes no difference having a higher MTOW/MLW 146 when the performance considerations result in restrictive RLW/RTOW's. I believe this is the case at WAT and GWY, where GTBIC was operating last summer.

remoak
4th Jun 2009, 20:04
Well all I can say is that I personally know three of the F/Os employed by Efly, and they are all ex-Nex. I also personally know the TRE/TRI they employed and he isn't Italian either. So I'm not sure where your info is coming from, but it isn't correct.

One of the captains that has been offered a contract is ex-Nex, again a personal friend.

The problem with the gear is lower MTOW/MLW, not higher, and if you look at the performance figures for WAT you will find that the limiting 30 flap MTOW/MLW is almost always structural (ie restricted by the gear). That is why Nex had to limit their pax loads last year.

airfixed
4th Jun 2009, 22:27
I know of only 2 ex-Nex FO's possibly joining Efly. However as I said before I believe all the captains are ex Flightline the TRI/E being an exception.

If published or calculated performance (take off or landing) results in a more restrictive weight, then it makes no difference whatsoever if you have a beefed up gear that will allow a higher structural weight - you will always need to observe the relevant regulated weight. This can be a problem on runways such as WAT and GWY. :ugh:

Jetfella
4th Jun 2009, 22:39
Wynnwith were recruiting for efly,but the elephant in the room is that they still have the aircraft for sale on speednews.

On another thread,both aircraft seem to be still in exeter.No AOC,aircraft still for sale,doesnt sound promising,

remoak
5th Jun 2009, 03:07
airfixed

Perhaps a few numbers will help you get it.

These are the actual numbers from an old loadsheet that I kept for training purposes, feel free to verify them. Destination wasn't a Nex destination, but the distance involved was about 40nm less than the distance from Malaga to Waterford. Figures are for TBIC though, in a previous life. There was no takeoff or landing performance restriction. If you look at a 146 performance book that incudes WAT, you will see that there is no landing restriction for a normal landing on a dry runway.

Traffic load was 45 M 42 F 3 C 6 I, bags 1557, total traffic load 8295kg. That's only 90 seated pax out of 100 seats.

Dry Operating Mass 24500
Total Traffic Load 8295
Zero Fuel Weight 32795 (max 33339)
Takeoff Fuel 7800 (max 9300)
Takeoff Mass 40595 (max 40596 with lightweight gear) OK by 1 kg
Trip Fuel 5425
Landing Mass 35170 (max 35153 with lightweight gear) NOT OK

So you can see that on that day, we were overweight for landing by 17kg but not restricted for takeoff. You always make fuel on these plogs, so we actually ended up around 300kg overweight for landing (which meant some quality time in the hold). With the diversion we had - only around 100nm away - the window between minimum diversion fuel and MLW was only about 50kg.

Them's the facts, the 146 with the lightweight gear is a real problem on long sectors. You have to wonder who was advising Nex when they bought it, there were plenty of other machines around with the beefier gear at the time, and they were very cheap.

On the subject of Efly, their website says that the first aircraft, 9H-ELE, was delivered and then transferred to Malta for their AOC proving flight on the 13th of May. Are they lying?

airfixed
5th Jun 2009, 08:43
No problem with your figures and I agree that you will nearly always make fuel leading to the need to burn fuel at destination to get the landing weight down. However on restricted runways if the RLW/RTOW is lower than actual/calculated/maximum LW/TOW then it doesn't matter what gear you have you wil be limited to that weight.

Last summer Nex operated a leasd 146 with the beefed up gear (EICNQ) which it tended to operate on the longer routes. For the times when the wind was in the right direction and the temperature wasn't too high it made a big difference - but unfortunately those days were few and far between!

Mister Geezer
5th Jun 2009, 11:48
On the subject of Efly, their website says that the first aircraft, 9H-ELE, was delivered and then transferred to Malta for their AOC proving flight on the 13th of May. Are they lying?

Well it appears that Wynnwith seem to be given some guys the run around and the last I heard is that those who were going are either delayed or are not going at all.

JW411
5th Jun 2009, 17:23
Curiously enough, I was called by Wynnwythwhateveritis yesterday and I was asked, very nicely, if I would be interested in being a TRI/TRE for them.

I have never had anything to do with this organisation but I told them that I would be absolutely delighted to help them if they could just get over the small problem of me being 68 years of age!

It is always good to be on the ball!

Teddy Robinson
7th Jun 2009, 20:47
Regarding Efly, are the aircraft still at Exeter ?

There was certainly no 9H-ELE on the Maltese register at the end of May ../Department of Civil Aviation - (http://www.dca.gov.mt/)

remoak
8th Jun 2009, 15:30
Efly offered a friend of mine a contract, but the contract never arrived and nothing has been heard from the company.

Maybe AOC issue problems?

Jetfella
12th Jun 2009, 10:16
From what I hear,Efly have been dissolved.There was an attempt to get the planes from Exeter to Malta,but you must have an AOC in order to be insured.
Lots of wool has been expended over eyes.
Dissolved 3rd april-/A/c for sale 4th April.Would be too late now for them to seek work even if they did get the AOC.
Is it true that Nex called it a day on wednesday 3rd June?I know they were not flying for a long time,but I thought they might get a chance with Arann.

Whats going to happen all of these 146 aircraft?,they were an excellent workhorse!,even if not every pilots fave.

remoak
12th Jun 2009, 12:35
Dissolved 3rd april-/A/c for sale 4th April

I'm sorry but that is complete bollocks. They had two friends of mine in the sim a few weeks ago - late May - which would be a pretty surprising if the company had been dissolved six weeks earlier. You should really check your facts before posting stuff like that.

There was an attempt to get the planes from Exeter to Malta,but you must have an AOC in order to be insured.

Not true either. Positioning flights can be carried out as private ops, all you would need would be temporary insurance and that would normally be carried by the lessor or by the previous owner. You don't need an AOC for a private op. Even if you did, the positioning flight would normally be done by the lessor or previous owner, as mentioned above.

Is it true that Nex called it a day on wednesday 3rd June?I know they were not flying for a long time,but I thought they might get a chance with Arann.

Don't know, but sounds pretty likely. I still can't see any reason why Aer Arann would want to get into bed with Nex.

It's a pity if it is true, Nex was showing a lot of promise at one time.

spagiola
12th Jun 2009, 13:56
From a good source, I'm told that Efly is indeed moving forward, and should begin operations in the near future.

Mister Geezer
12th Jun 2009, 22:05
Whats going to happen all of these 146 aircraft?,they were an excellent workhorse!,even if not every pilots fave.

I am sure they will migrate to the 'less developed' world! She is a lovely aircraft but the only thing that will let it down in the more remote parts is its limited range. She will struggle with payload/range when your diversion airfield is hundreds of miles away, something which is largely alien to what it is used to at the moment!

Teddy Robinson
14th Jun 2009, 04:51
but .... that is what is was designed to do.... a DC3 replacement.

There are few airliners where one can look at a field and say ... I could get in there.

In design terms what it has been doing over the past 20 years was window dressing .

Mister Geezer
14th Jun 2009, 11:39
If you could have the density of airfields that you have in Europe/US etc in the developing world then the old BAe 146 would be fine.

Last night my nearest diversion airfield was 504nm. With only 50 pax then loading enough fuel was not an issue and could just be done. However with a busy load on such a route, we either restrict the payload and carry diversion fuel or if the criteria are met, we set off without a nominated diversion with a strip in the middle of the desert being the 'alternate' should we need one, yet we can't file it as such. Of course, all of that would be done in CAVOK condition of course! :ok:

The only way that an operator could get round such a situation is to bend or ignore the rules. As time goes on then it will be inevitable that this will probably be more widespread as the aircraft migrates to more 'colourful' places!

Papa2Charlie
14th Jun 2009, 17:11
Afternoon all,

Just going back to the Aer Arann aspect, is there any news on this e.g. when the operation would begin, routes etc.? Seems like a very short rushed exercise trying to get the aircraft type into the fleet for this summer.

Regards,

P2C

remoak
15th Jun 2009, 13:18
P2C

The simple answer is that in all probability, no-one knows. I doubt the Nex principals know yet themselves. There is nothing on the RE website about it, and that is where you will probably read about it first.

If RE are going to put the 146 on their AOC, it is too late for this season and they will probably take their time doing it over the winter. In other words, not much is likely to happen for a while.

Papa2Charlie
15th Jun 2009, 16:20
Hi remoak,

Agree with you, sounds like it's more a long term thing. Sounds like they may be planning for a brighter 2010. Although whether an early production BAe146 is the way forward is another question. :}

Cheers,

P2C

spagiola
18th Jun 2009, 16:40
BAe 146 9H-ELE (the former G-JEBG) was flown to Malta yesterday, so Efly seems to be moving closer to starting ops.

remoak
7th Jul 2009, 16:12
Well the Head of Training has left, apparently the Head of Engineering as well. Much confusion, some pilots staying and some leaving. Whole thing now looks like a giant mess!

Anyone know any more?

revik
16th Oct 2009, 19:34
Any activity in the 146/RJ world of late?

remoak
17th Oct 2009, 00:33
Seems pretty quiet out there. Might be a bit of movement at Astra. Efly seem to have started operations. Nex were trying to start up again, not sure if that ever happened. Other than that, most of the 146 activity now is in the Third World.

mutt
17th Oct 2009, 03:25
Why limit yourself to the left seat of the RJ? Look for other airlines will to offer you a new type rating......

Mutt

halas
17th Oct 2009, 13:52
Feel for you guys.

I hit the market after 9/11 as an FO 146, 3,200 on type and 10,000 total (not unusual in Australia), and no job to be had and no international experience.

Came to the sandpit and in less than three years, left seat 777.

There are other opportunities than the jumbolino

halas

ps. Good luck!

remoak
18th Oct 2009, 00:10
yeah but you have to live in the sandpit and fly long-haul... no thanks! :=

mutt
18th Oct 2009, 04:37
You could move to the sandpit and fly short haul whilst getting a nice A320 rating :):) 3 years later, move back to Europe!

Mutt

halas
18th Oct 2009, 19:40
Firstly l can't move back to "the EU" as l am not from there and honestly, wouldn't want to live there.

Secondly, after doing multi-leg domestic short-haul as an FO on the 146, one-sector-a-day in a 777 as a captain is just fine with me.

Thirdly, living in the pit is not so bad at all. Being out of work for nine months with two kids under two years old prior to getting this gig...now that was bad!

I could be "doing it tough" in a lot worse places than this........

halas

Mister Geezer
20th Oct 2009, 19:09
The 146 is rapidly becoming the preferred choice for the third world with the RJ not being too far behind.

It is time to get off the old girl but not all of us want to move to the sandpit though - even if it is just three years! I just did less than a year working with Arabs and I am not in a rush to repeat the experience! :} Also for some of us it is not as easy to simply pack and leave! :ok:

remoak
21st Oct 2009, 02:27
Yeah if you like the sandpit, good for you. I would rather do something else for a while than move over there, but whatever floats your boat...

airfixed
21st Oct 2009, 09:55
At the end of the day you do what you have to remain current and hopefully remain sane and (more importantly) alive. Pleased to hear you've managed to move on Mr Geezer. I know there are several 146 boys still in some less desireable parts of the world doing as best they can to keep currrent. You're right the majority of western hemisphere companies are getting rid of the 146/RJ, with increasing numbers turning up in Africa, South America and the Far East with even more in storage. A good time to change type..... if you can.

remoak
21st Oct 2009, 10:06
It's actually a good time to keep your 146 rating current. A couple of years ago there were some really good contracts around on the 146, in Europe, and I'm sure that once we manage to convince ourselves that the big bad recession is over, there will be a few eager start-ups hoping to take advantage of some extraordinarily low lease rates on 146's and RJs. However there will be very, very few pilots still around to fly them... so the 146 rating will be gold. It certainly was in 2007.

A320 and 737 pilots are very common now, and large amounts of them are out of work...

justan
21st Oct 2009, 16:39
Do never go there. :=
It is really bad people over there and it is dangerous to live there.
Trust me. I have been there. :yuk:

perritopiloto
21st Oct 2009, 19:50
Remoak,
I am not that sure about those good contracts to come for jumbolino drivers, but I wish it would be like you say.
The problem for some of us is that is not so easy to get another TR unless paying for it, us we have just a few hundreds of hours on type and no more than 550 total.
Let´s wait for some contracts to come

Mister Geezer
22nd Oct 2009, 15:08
airfixed - I am still flying the old fossil! :}

revik
14th Nov 2009, 11:59
Any fresh rumbles, preferably not in a jungle?

non iron
21st Nov 2009, 00:45
Why not go public ?

Mister Geezer
22nd Nov 2009, 21:18
purmus - don't jump to conclusions. You actually know 'PENNINE BOY'! ;) ;) ;)

purmus
22nd Nov 2009, 23:02
Think I may owe Pennine Boy an apology as I do indeed know him. Offending post has now been removed and I'm going to go wash that egg off my face.

After seeing Pprune used before by people trying to get personal info for less than honest reasons I think I may be a little over cautious.

Mister Geezer
22nd Nov 2009, 23:21
There's a good lad! :}

Airtanker Pilot
27th Nov 2009, 07:04
It's not air carrier work but it is in the US. Minden Air Corp. (Minden NV 775-782-4462) will be taking on a few air crews and a 146 type rating is desired. It's interesting, but way different from what most of you folk are used to.

revik
12th Dec 2009, 22:06
Only a few weeks to go before a visit to the Job Centre features on the to-do list; any further updates or leads?

wxjedi
13th Dec 2009, 08:56
Did you try BACF and Cityjet.
I heard LCY was going well

Tom

spagiola
13th Dec 2009, 16:56
Jagson (current Do 228 operator) is planning to take over several of the MDLR routes with RJ85s, so this may be for them. MDLR has been grounded since October.

airfixed
16th Dec 2009, 19:19
I'm sure this is old news, but there are a number of 146/RJ operators a bit closer to home. Ones that have taken on crews are: Aegean and Astra in Greece and Albanian, although they may only be after skippers for now - it may be worth a try.

I had heard that the Minden water bomber conversion had been shelved, but if it is going ahead that is another option.

MaxReheat
30th Jan 2010, 13:55
New year. Any fresh leads out there?:{

RJ100
31st Jan 2010, 12:13
wxjedi,

BACF are replacing all their RJ's with EMB170/190's, the last RJ will be parked in June. I think there are only 4 left flying there at the moment.

RJ.

Guy of Gisborne
31st Mar 2010, 10:22
Any more news out there? Just missed out on an Avro Business Jet position at Brum and a rumble of a European contract has just been quashed! Been out of work now for over a year and desparate to get back in the air!:(

airfixed
8th Apr 2010, 14:35
Try Titan:

TITAN RECRUITMENT (http://titanrecruitment.propserver2.com/view_jobs.php?advert_id=34)

All the best.
Afxd

dongle
27th Apr 2010, 15:42
well, 146 pilots needed with Albanian Airlines for a short term summer contract. Pay's not great but the beer is cheap and it keeps you current. Anyone interested can send a cv to the dfo, [email protected] whom you may remember from Flightline, or pm me for a bit more info.

Pilot Positive
27th Apr 2010, 17:12
Try Cello Aviation based at EGBB - its a relatively new outfit. They've just had the cabin of their 146 significantly upgraded, (looks nices) so they'll be working hard to find the biz and fly. Something might be there if you try.... :ok:

Untitled Document (http://www.flycello.com)

PP

mini-jumbo
17th May 2010, 18:20
Any new job rumours on the 146 / RJ front? :ugh:

Guy of Gisborne
17th May 2010, 20:26
Had my CV with the Cello guys back in Sep 09 but the CP could only take on one FO and had already promised this to A N Other! Still they got in touch and will bear me in mind if the increase the numbers from 3. Tried getting in touch with Derek Murphy but didn't get a reply?
I have been in touch with an African wet leasing firm (who have other ex Flightline guys) they need guys but only those in currency as they don't have any training capability.

perritopiloto
20th May 2010, 19:08
Hi guy of gisborne,
sent you a pm
Any info about this African company??
Thanks

overun
31st May 2010, 05:47
l do think that pm`s should be frowned on.

One 146 in brum, and a couple in Manston. Apparently the same company.

Guy of Gisborne
31st May 2010, 08:27
The one 146 in Brum is the new Cello set up. They don't have anything else... Yet! I don't have a clue what the jets are at Manston perhaps you could shed some light. The pm that was sent just referred to the African contract in previous post.

mini-jumbo
31st May 2010, 14:01
I'm guessing the ones at Manston are related to the 5 146's bought by Aviation Capital Solutions last months. I've no idea who the final operator of them will be, but I guess they'll be going to existing customers. I've had no joy finding out anymore info about them.

perritopiloto
31st May 2010, 16:38
Hi Overun,
the pm i sent was mainly the same that in the post,
Just asking for some info about the African company.

Take care

PerG
6th Jun 2010, 00:08
Hi all,
Another on the Avro here. Well, at least for the next few month as I´ve gotten my notice :(. Any news on jobs in europe? Have seen many hiring but there are local restrictions. German and Swiss requires that you speak fluent German. And citijet only hires cadets. So does not look good for us Avro pilots. Maybe about time to change to another type. But with only 1600TT, not that easy :(

A320Dreamer
7th Jun 2010, 12:35
Are you at Malmö Aviation at the moment?

PerG
7th Jun 2010, 20:30
Not in Malmø Aviation. But I´ve heard that they have fired a lot of pilots over there. Live in Malmø though for now.

Mr R Sole
23rd Jul 2010, 23:06
Those 5 airframes that were at Manston went off to Iran (Mahan Air?).