View Full Version : Early start

Frankfurt_Cowboy
20th Mar 2009, 15:37
I like to think that I've travelled quite a bit, not a stranger to the inside of a commercial jet but last monday something to happened on a flight I was on that's never happened before. I was on an Iberia A321 going MAD-LHR and we were making our way out to the runway, not sure which, but it seemed to be between terminal 4 and the satellite. Anyway, we weren't on the runway, were still turning left on to it, I'm assuming on one of the fast entry/exit taxiways when the pilot seemed to "floor it" for take off. I tried to distinguish if there was any further in thrust after that point, was couldn't tell by the engine noise and perception of "g" as we were still cornering (quite disconcerting really). Now i'm not a regular at Madrid, it might well be commonplace to get off to a flyer and if so then fair enough, I've learned something. Just struck me as unusual that's all, being used to the "Position and hold" kind of start. Anyone else experienced this? Not looking to stir anything or make any adverse comment, just interested if this is common practice.

Cheers!!!

Dit
20th Mar 2009, 16:14
Search: 'Rolling Takeoff'

Result: http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/356942-throttling-up-taxi-way.html

Frankfurt_Cowboy
20th Mar 2009, 16:37
Well yes, let's not go down that alley. Quite used to the rolling bit, it was the cornering bit that was my main question. Anyway, there you go. I'm answered, just don't let Rainboe get me, especially not when he sees where I'm from......

Dit
20th Mar 2009, 17:52
Well to answer that specific point, the aircraft has a max turning speed, whether this is manufacturer or comany imposed, so you can set your stabilised thrust value whilst still in the turn onto the runway as long as your speed doesn't exceed said value.