PDA

View Full Version : Row "zero" on an XL spreadsheet?

Keygrip
20th Mar 2009, 15:13
Excel 2007 from Office 2007 Ultimate.

I am entering an absolute fist full of names, dates and times into Excel format so that I can track numbers of visitors.

I would very much like to use the top row of each worksheet to put titles and reference information on some of the columns - but I would *really* like the first row of actual data to be "Cell 1A" - so I would need a "Row 0".

I understand how the cell structure works for the column/row format - but wonder if it is possible to "force" a title row at the top.

Anybody actually understand my question? "Lol". I'm struggling to explain it clearly.

I know about renaming the tabs at the bottom of each sheet, btw.

=^..^=

Jofm5
20th Mar 2009, 16:15
To do a header that will stay on the screen all the time whilst you scroll down is as simple as going to the cell immediately below the header where the data starts and select freeze pane from the view ribbon (Office 2007 - not sure which menu in 2003).

You cannot alter the grid structure to have the headers starting from row zero. Perhaps you should but a counter in column a - not sure why you feel it is important to have the data starting at row 1 - perhaps you could explain and we could give you a workaround.

Keygrip
20th Mar 2009, 17:42
Dammit. I feared that someone would ask that..."Why".

Well PART of the answer is it was a "Proof of concept" question. The idea suddenly struck me, could it be done? I tried a click or two - but didn't get a good result.

The other (slightly pathetic) part was just neatness. I would like the relevant data to start at A1 for simple ease of numbering the lines and for cut/paste options into other sheets without having to think too deeply about it.

Jimmy Macintosh
20th Mar 2009, 22:29
I'll admit that this posting is probably vague enough to be useless, but ...

There used to be a switch in Excel where you could set row 1 to be read as 0, so it would still be shown as row one on the side of your screen but all references to row 1 would be 0, row 2 would be 1 etc.

I know this because it screwed up one of my sheets for ages before I found out about that option. Unfortunately I can't find the switch now!!

I'll look for a while and see what I can find...