PDA

View Full Version : 0900 Nbo Pln

Got the horn
19th Mar 2009, 23:50
So, it appears effective 01 April 09 the Airways 0800 National Briefing Office phone number is no more. It is being replaced by an 0900 number and will cost you $2.50/min or part thereof.
:ugh:

Any thoughts?

Water Wings
20th Mar 2009, 00:21
All I can say is thank god the boss pay's my phone bill.

$2.50 per minute + gst......Airways better be employing some new sexy sounding staff, my personal limits normally $0.99 to ask someone "so what ya wearing?" :ok:

ZKSTF
20th Mar 2009, 01:21
0900 stuff does not encourage safety at all. Surely they are making enough money already.......(flight plans are not cheap as it is and when you are away on a cross couontry you might not have access to IFIS)?

dudduddud
20th Mar 2009, 02:28
This is a 30% increase in the cost of filing and then terminating a flight plan.

There is now going to be a greater number of pilots that do not file flight plans.

This is a step backwards for safety.

Kiwi172
20th Mar 2009, 08:54
When operating out of Paraparaumu you need to call NBO for your onwards clearence as there is no radio coverage, normally you are on hold for upwards of 10minutes, what a great money maker for the SOE. As for the $35 if you forget to cancel your SARWATCH......:{ I guess Airways will now have to remove safety form there mission statement as all of this is detremental to safety. And dont forget the proposal of regional towers going off watch whilst the over worked and under paid have a weee rest.

Cypher
20th Mar 2009, 09:55
01 April 09...

ha ha ha .. I get it.. :)

Oktas8
20th Mar 2009, 10:21
I think Airways is just indulging in direct cost recovery - which to be fair, almost every other company in NZ has been doing for quite some time.

The Airways Corp newsletter promulgating the new charges & 0900 number does mention their preference for personal flight following with SpiderTracks or equivalent - I get the impression they would be happier if they did not have to deal with GA at all. The feeling is mutual some days... ;)

Now for those of you with snazzy www-enabled phones (WAP phones or whatever they are called this week), Phase 2 of the changes is to have a phone-friendly version of the IFIS website, on the assumption that it will be cheaper to use a mobile-phone website than to pay $2.80/minute to talk to the nice man in Christchurch.

Not usually a fan of large copy-paste exercises, but perhaps this press release from Spidertracks - Home (http://www.spidertracks.co.nz) might be of interest to other PPRuNers:

Aircraft tracking solutions company spidertracks has teamed up with Airways NZ and Lynne Erceg to support the safety of general aviation (GA) pilots in New Zealand. Together they are subsidising the purchase and subscription costs of spidertracks’ satellite tracking devices for owners of New Zealand-registered aircraft.

Spidertracks uses GPS positions points transmitted via the Iridum satellite network to create a track of an aircraft’s flight, which is viewed over the internet. The flight can be followed in real-time and ensures the whereabouts – position, altitude, direction and speed, of an aircraft is known at all times. The system can actively monitor flights acting as a flight following tool for all pilots.

The limited time special offer recognises the important role the latest aircraft tracking technology can play in pilot safety by providing a flight following capability.

"Airways has a clear mandate to support this initiative and that is safety,” says Airways programme manager, Rob Irwin. “It has never been Airways role to track GA aircraft on radar when they are operating outside controlled airspace. There’s been some confusion about that in the GA community. We’re trying to get the message out there that one of the best ways to guarantee someone knows where you are is to use a satellite tracking system and have the information available and displayed on a computer at home or at the office."

Every month, Airways deals with an estimated 230 flight plans going overdue. The number of false alarms generated by pilots forgetting to amend or terminate their flight plan occupies resources that should be ready and waiting to help those in genuine need. In October 2008, Airways surveyed members of the GA community and found that more than two-thirds of respondents were interested in Airways providing a subsidy for the purchase and initial monitoring of a satellite tracking system.

"From the feedback we received and subsequent conversations, there was a general trend towards options that would enable the GA community to look after themselves and potentially enjoy a greater level of comfort than Airways currently provides,” says Mr Irwin. “We teamed up with spidertracks and they then approached Michael Erceg’s widow Lynne about the possibility of supporting an initiative that could save pilots lives, as well as saving the Rescue Coordination Centre thousands of man-hours in search time. What transpired was the subsidy scheme - a win-win situation for everyone."

The offer will enable owners of ZK-registered aircraft to purchase a spidertracks satellite tracking device for only $1295 (plus GST) and receive a free keypad. The package is usually priced at $3300. Airways will support the purchase by way of covering the first six months subscription to the satellite network, which is normally approximately USD 19.95 per month.

"This is a significant incentive for the GA community to leverage the benefits of technology and equip their aircraft to ensure a greater level of pilot safety. The conditions and terrain in this country are some of the most challenging in the world and there’s no doubt that technology is the key to safety for aircraft operating in this environment."

Spidertracks marketing manager Rachel Donald says the company is very excited to be able to make it’s world-leading aircraft tracking systems accessible to New Zealand pilots. “Spidertracks has clients in about 30 countries and most of our market is international. But we are a proud New Zealand company – our tracking systems are makde here, and we want to make sure New Zealand pilots can access this safety tool. By partnering with Airways we have been able to reduce our price to a level we hope all NZ pilots will be able to take advantage of.

"Spidertracks takes the search out of search and rescue. The Rescue Coordination Centre is supportive of the technology because they can see how it could assist in locating aircraft that are overdue quickly and easily" says Ms Donald.

**end press release** (Disclaimer - I have no relationship, commercial or otherwise, with spidertracks.)

Cheers,
O8

harrowing
20th Mar 2009, 10:36
cypher
Someone inside with a twisted sense of humour!
Cheers

tred
22nd Mar 2009, 01:16
And dont forget the proposal of regional towers going off watch whilst the over worked and under paid have a weee rest.

This is not Airways doing - it is the Govt Legislation effective next month. Airways tried to get a dispensation but Govt refused -twice.

This was the only option for them short of employing significantly more staff.

And most staff aren't even interested in all this break nonsense anyway but can't do anything about it.

Got the horn
22nd Mar 2009, 06:15
I wish it was a joke. Bad choice of date I suppose.

6080ft
22nd Mar 2009, 08:10
anyone got a link for this info?

27/09
22nd Mar 2009, 08:30
Bit off the original topic here goes anyway

The offer will enable owners of ZK-registered aircraft to purchase a spidertracks satellite tracking device for only $1295 (plus GST) and receive a free keypad. The package is usually priced at $3300. Airways will support the purchase by way of covering the first six months subscription to the satellite network, which is normally approximately USD 19.95 per month.

Makes the Spot service look really cheap. New SPOT International Landing Page (http://international.findmespot.com/)

Back on topic.

Airways, their management have been a bunch of pratts since day one. Providing an ATC service of any standard has never been of a high priority.

Ndegi
22nd Mar 2009, 08:49
Don't buy the SPOT system if you expect it to send tracking details while in flight. It does not work in flight, only when you are almost stationary on the ground. I purchased a unit from Aircraft Spruce and flew from Brisbane to Perth. Although set in tracking mode, it did not send position details. It did however work really well when I pushed the OK button after landing, sending an SMS to a nominated cell phone and showing the position on Google earth. I continue to use SPOT configuring the OK message to read 'I have landed at the planned airfield' and the HELP message to say that 'I have had to divert to an alternative airfield'.

The SPOT system does not do the same job as Spider tracks which is a far superior system if you require high quality tracking. I will continue to use SPOT as the SMS/spot fix after landing is great and reassuring for my spouse when I am in remote parts of outback Australia.

Jack Sprat
22nd Mar 2009, 09:09
Around the Taupo, south Waikato area there is often limited comms with CH info but CH control is able to be contacted. Bizarre. I hope control are prepared to take calls to update SARTIMES because I'm not paying their 0900 charge when a cell phone call is the only option.

27/09
23rd Mar 2009, 18:25
Ndegi

Certainly the Spider Track is superior, BUT very expensive compared to Spot. For most pilots Spot is quite adequate and much more affordable.

By the way Spot does work while airborne, I have a friend who I have tracked crossing the Atlantic Ocean with Spot. There must be a problem with your unit or the way you are using it. Where do you mount the unit? It needs to be able to see the satellite so needs to be somewhere like the front window.

Massey058
24th Mar 2009, 02:03
Surely the CAA or someone will have to step in to stop this stupidity. For years its been a battle to stop people over-running their SARTIME and now some genius in accounting comes up with this! How can they come down on pilots who over-run their SARTIME if they don't have the credit on their phone to ring an 0900 number.

Sure there are ways around this but Airways are sacrificing a lot of goodwill just to save a few bucks.

Oktas8
24th Mar 2009, 09:35
Not sure I agree with you Massey058. Sure, if you don't have phone credit you can't use the 0900 number. But why can't you plan ahead to terminate on the radio before the SAR expires? Planning ahead is a core competency for all of us after all.

Sometimes people think that poor radio coverage prevents this. It doesn't usually, because it's easy to set a SARtime so it won't expire whilst you're in a radio black-spot, or so it gives you time to land and get to a landline. (Yes, I'm familiar with some exceptions to this one. But Tower or Control frequencies are usually accessible at a pinch.)

I've no objection to Airways taking $35 worth of cost recovery from the careless or the thoughtless, which in my environment (flight training) is 99.5% of the problem.

Massey058
24th Mar 2009, 21:38
Yep agree with you there, I just find it odd that when its still a problem they are effectively discouraging one avenue. Certainly the method of choice will have to become termination in the air.

It riles though that when you are away from a computer and need to file a flight plan that you will have to use an 0900 number. Yes you can file in the air but in the past when I was doing navigation training, Controllers certainly made you feel like a pain in the arse for doing so.

FL440
24th Mar 2009, 21:53
Im amazed that the CAA are going to allow this to go through, it certainly does not encourage the use of the flight plan and SARTIME system.

I say if you file a SARTIME now, get your moneys worth and make the poor CH INFO controller earn the 0900 with position reports every 5 miles. Im pretty sure the 0900 will disapear when nobody can get through to them for the 5000 position reports going on...:E

Whilst cancelling in the air is an option, it would be an awful shame to cancel a few miles out and then be unfortunate enough to need the SARTIME....:= and as a ATO there must be a flight plan for the entire flight....cancelling in the air wouldnt meet that requirement.....:ok:

CougarNZ
25th Mar 2009, 04:52
This all sounds like a wind up !

note no link to an announcement from Airways.
or any mention of this impending charge on airways or ifis web sites!

Got the horn
25th Mar 2009, 05:43
No wind-up. We had a copy of the notice from Airways emailed to us from the boss last week. I could probably copy it and post it here maybe?

27/09
25th Mar 2009, 09:06
Yes you can file in the air but in the past when I was doing navigation training, Controllers certainly made you feel like a pain in the arse for doing so

Well I guess the controllers are going to have a few more haemorrhoids then. Well done Airways management.

Got the horn
25th Mar 2009, 21:53
Re-read the notice we got from Airways. It's the 20th for the withdrawal of 0800 NBOPLN, 1st April the Fax service goes.

CHANGES TO SERVICES AND PHONE NUMBERS FOR FLIGHT PLANNING SERVICES

As previously advised to the General Aviation community the following changes to services currently provided by Airways National Briefing Office (NBO) and Air Traffic Support Sector (ATSS) based in Christchurch, will take effect.

1 April 2009

The FAX ON DEMAND (FOD) service and associated phone number (0800 654 957) will be withdrawn. NOTAM briefings are available via the internet on IFIS at: www.ifis.airways.co.nz (http://www.ifis.airways.co.nz/) and pre-flight weather briefings are available from New Zealand Met Service via the Airways IFIS website or direct from New Zealand Met Service at: metflight.metra.co.nz.

The freefax number of 0800 626 329 is also being withdrawn. Although IFIS is the preferred option for filing Flight Plans they can still be faxed to the Airways NBO on (03) 358-9192. Remember that you must receive a faxed acknowledgement as proof the information has been delivered.

FLIGHT INFORMATION SERVICE – BROADCAST (FISB) on VHF frequency 126.8Mhz in the Auckland area will be withdrawn.

20 April 2009

The telephone numbers for the Airways National Briefing Office are changing from 0800 NBOPLN (0800 626 756) to 0900 62675. Calls to the Airways National Briefing Office on this 0900 number will be charged at the rate of $2.50+GST per minute or part thereof.

For a period of 2 months after 20 April 2009 the number 0800 626 756 will broadcast a message advising the new numbers to call to speak to NBO staff.

ANS PROGRAMMES MANAGER
AIRWAYS NEW ZEALAND

chrisarrow1
30th Mar 2009, 10:54
Anyone wanting the source for that information. I have uploaded the circulated email for your reference.

CUSTOMER BRIEF IN CHANGES.doc (http://www.mediafire.com/?y10jmyizwzd)

CougarNZ
1st Apr 2009, 23:40
National Briefing Office and Fax on Demand

Information has been distributed to members of the aviation community about changes proposed to some of Airways New Zealand's services.
The proposals concern the phone number for the National Briefing Office, a charge for calling them, and withdrawal of the Fax on Demand service.
These proposed changes have been deferred, and the numbers remain the same.
National Briefing Office 0800 NBOPLN (0800 626 756)
Fax on Demand 0800 654 957
National Briefing Office and Fax on Demand (http://www.caa.govt.nz/NBO_and_FOD.htm)

Common sense has provailed!

muttly's pigeon
3rd Apr 2009, 03:47
Ahhh... so when I see a given CH info freq. notamed as U/S who pays for me to pick up my IFR clearance, or to terminate the plan once Im on the ground????? Thats right, the one I have already paid to submit in the first place?