PDA

View Full Version : Difference JAA / JAR / FAA ?

Steve Bug
19th Mar 2009, 21:53
Hi can someone tell me the difference between the ATPL JAA / JAR & FAA license ?

Much appreciated

BelArgUSA
19th Mar 2009, 22:21
Hola Steve -
xxx
JAR are pilot licences issued in Europe, includes UK... and FAA are pilot certificates issued in the USA. While both give same privileges, and are similar, there are notable differences in written exams theory subjects. The training in simulators is generally quite similar.
xxx
If you wish to make a career in Europe, you better do the "JAR" training. The "FAA" training is directed for people living in the USA. Both have advantages and inconveniences. Doing one type of training, then converting into the other, is rather complicated and is somewhat expensive, particularly for holders of FAA certificates seeking JAR certification.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

B2N2
20th Mar 2009, 13:37
If you wish to make a career in Europe, you better do the "JAR" training. The "FAA" training is directed for people living in the USA. Both have advantages and inconveniences. Doing one type of training, then converting into the other, is rather complicated and is somewhat expensive, particularly for holders of FAA certificates seeking JAR certification.

There is a little bit more to it then that.
Under FAA the "frozen" ATPL does not exist.
Converting from from FAA CPL to JAA fATPL is straightforward, 14 written exams passed and training as required for the practical. Been covered here many times.

mspilot2B
20th Mar 2009, 16:44
i looked at every available option over the last few months! I was going for FAA and a conversion but it costs a fortune to convert to come home. Going to go the regular JAA route and hope that there are jobs at the end of it!

Shunter
20th Mar 2009, 18:24
Under FAA the "frozen" ATPL does not exist.
It doesn't exist under JAA either!

EpsilonVaz
20th Mar 2009, 18:59
As Shunter said, there is no such thing as a "frozen ATPL". There is a CPL/IR with the ATPL theory, that many people call "frozen ATPL".

fiveoh
21st Mar 2009, 02:08
This is something I was wondering to. As a Canadian what is the classification of license I would be getting... FAA? And if I wanted to go over to europe and fly is it really just a matter of writing 14 atpl exams? Cheers