PDA

View Full Version : A320 cabin door inflight

IFLY_INDIGO
19th Mar 2009, 02:21
Hi there, I wonder sometimes, how airbus has safeguarded accidental cabin door opening in flight? :ugh:
Any expert comments?

Mad (Flt) Scientist
19th Mar 2009, 02:24
Well, at any kind of cabin pressurization, that deals with most accidental door opening issues, at least for any 'plug' doors.

h3dxb
20th Mar 2009, 22:36
HI

every plug door is hold from inside against hooks in the doorframe. The area of the door + cabin pressure of max delta 8.5 psi, press the door against this hooks.

in a beerful evening we calculated the force on a A320 pax door at max Delta P with appr. 8 tons.

This U have to try ;-))

rgds

nascargeek21
21st Mar 2009, 18:51
The pressurization of the cabin prevents door opening (while the cabin is pressurized). The outward pressure of the more dense air inside the aircraft prevents the door from opening inward (the only way they can be opened).

TheCosmicFrog
22nd Mar 2009, 18:22
In Boeing's typically layman terms, "the door is bigger than the door frame". Cabin pressure is perhaps the biggest factor, however (I won't pretend that I have any figures like the guys above).

PBY
22nd Mar 2009, 19:33
Look at this, guys:

BBC News | ASIA-PACIFIC | Philippines hijacker bails out (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/763341.stm)

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Mar 2009, 20:16
The pilot depressurised the cabin to allow a door to be opened, after descending to a lower altitude at the hijacker's request.

Obviously, the doors can be opened under the right circumstances, otherwise the load factor on these a/c would be rather low.