PDA

View Full Version : Best ATPL to get???

Velikiye Luki
19th Mar 2009, 01:36
Hi there,

I am contemplating what is the best ATPL licence to get to give me the best international options. I've heard the JAA licence is the easiest to convert into a local licence in many countries (e.g. into HKG, SIN, US, etc). Is this correct? What about converting it to an Indian or Chinese licence??

Can anybody recommend the best ATPL to obtain?

Cheers!

skyhigher
19th Mar 2009, 09:03
The best ATPL to get is the one that comes with a right hand seat in a glass cockpit jet (or similar)! Converting your licence is not as easy as it seems, and will inevitably depend on your skills and knowledge as a pilot at the end of the day (ie. flight test). Converting can and is an expensive and long process, differing between countries and aviation organisations (JAA, FAA etc..). often you will have to repeat ground exams at signficant cost!

Get one that is valid and accepted in the country (or area) you intend to work in. Dont worry about conversions already!

ReverseFlight
19th Mar 2009, 23:26
Totally agree with skyhigher's analysis.

A number of SE Asia countries/territories base themselves on the FAA model : China, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines etc.

Others base themselves on the JAA/CAA model :Australia, Malaysia, SIN, HKG etc. (mostly the former British Commonwealth/colonies).

Do some research before deciding. Good luck.

ewsd02
20th Mar 2009, 10:32
Both licenses are recognised well worldwide and should be easily convertable. In my humble opinion, the JAA licence is the better one to get. The JAA Instrument rating (if done in the UK) is a hard exam to pass and will prepare you best for any commercial work. The FAA instrument rating will push you a lot less, meaning you have a harder time in your first job.