PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Air Telephone Interview

Alltheway
18th Mar 2009, 20:33
Hi All,

I'm hoping for a call Telephone Interview call from Ryan Air. I've heard they are now asking ATPL questions. If anyone has had one of these recently and remembers any of the Questions I'd be eternally grateful.

Did well on the ATPL's but not sure what could be asked.

Any info or comments welcomed. Safe Flying Everyone.

Avyator
19th Mar 2009, 11:49
Uhm..so they do a phone interview before the sim test etc..? :confused:

Andrén
19th Mar 2009, 11:53
hey be happy at least it's not a collect call :ok:

potkettleblack
19th Mar 2009, 20:20
Or that they didn't ask for an essay spelling their company name correctly:)

ONCALL
19th Mar 2009, 22:33
or asking to be featured in this years 2009 calender along with those good looking chicas! :ok:

ONCALL
19th Mar 2009, 22:35
andren...what part of sweden are you from?

Turkish777
20th Mar 2009, 13:12
Probably cost 1.50 a min...:ugh:

nick14
20th Mar 2009, 13:32
I was asked about the reason I got into flying, a mate was asked what the CAT III a minima were so I guess its pot luck on this one.

Nick

stepdown
20th Mar 2009, 13:38
i was asked what my credit card number was. that was about it

ford cortina
20th Mar 2009, 14:56
Good job it was not the Cat IIIA Circling Minima :ok:

INNflight
20th Mar 2009, 18:11
Why would you have to know about the CAT III minimas on a phone interview with FR?

Heard Ryanair took out the nav instruments to save weight, pilots are free to bring their own handheld GPS though :ok:

Day_Dreamer
20th Mar 2009, 18:30
Will the idiots who have nothing constructive to say please go play with your toys, or go back to your kindergarden.

Ryanair telephone interviews are part of the selection process, ignore that fact at your own risk.

The Beer Hunter
20th Mar 2009, 19:11
Will those with their head up their @rse looking for their lost sense of humour..............

:E

irishone
20th Mar 2009, 19:36
I've heard from a few who have done it, and it seems to be basic questions that you would have researched yourself anyway. Like how many fr bases/pilots/planes, whats a ndb/vor, how does tcas work, how does the AI work...
It's not something to stress about if you've prep'd yourself for the tech interview.
They do it now because they can. Every Tom, Dick and Harry are applying to them. Might as well be choosy!

balhambob
20th Mar 2009, 21:05
I literally got asked:

Why do you want to work for us?
Why did you partial your IR?
What is your Credit Card Number?

Alltheway
20th Apr 2009, 22:08
For Balhambob

I submitted my CV to RyanAir via CAE over four weeks ago but have heard nothing.

Do you happen to know if my age at 33 is a selection factor?

Mr M.
20th Apr 2009, 22:25
Dr. Cmvidini

I am in the same situation as you, I send 1 month ago my CV to a person from CAE who demanded it. But I haven´t received any call yet.

Hope to hear something...

BigNumber
20th Apr 2009, 22:40
Guy's; please do not shoot me down - I promise I have no agenda with my question.

Do RYR / BRK guarantee any number of hours annually?

If not, is it not possible that they can recruit an infinite number of new hires to 'support' their business in these challenging times.

Working / Earning 10 hours a month isn't going to be funny if you have a loan to feed.

What are your thoughts?

Mikehotel152
21st Apr 2009, 06:42
In my personal experience you do get a telephone call but there is no technical element to it. You might expect basic questions about your CV. For others, things may be different.

Does that help? Probably not. :(

As for CAE, Amsterdam and OAA, Stockholm: Not uncommon to hear nothing despite chasing them. Again, my personal experience.

nick14
21st Apr 2009, 08:06
There is no garantee of hours, so effectively yes they can just allocate leave for you.

With the aircraft deliveries I would imagin they would need someone to fly them and cadets are cheaper so why not use them?

Nick

zuluflyer
22nd Apr 2009, 13:08
y do they need to ask your credit card number or are they trying to say u got the job so we can put your wage packet in there?

nick14
22nd Apr 2009, 14:53
The selection and sim ride costs you around about 300euro

WallyWumpus
27th Apr 2009, 09:35
I was not asked anything technical, just "Why Ryanair" and "How did you get into flying", followed by my credit card number.

To answer an earlier post omn age - I am 34.

Alltheway
27th Apr 2009, 09:57
Hi,

I submitted my Cv to RyanAir over 8 weeks ago. May I ask how you submitted yours as I've heard nothing.

Mr M.
27th Apr 2009, 12:40
Why they ask you for the credit card number??

AKAFresh
27th Apr 2009, 13:36
Chaps..

The main reason for the telephone interview is to assess your command of ENGLISH.

So if your not a native English speaker and English is not your strong point then this should be your primary concern. Ryanair tend to hire alot more foreign crew, so this is a bigger factor for them. Remember theres no point inviting people for interviews only to find out that their level of English is not up to the standard, it wastes the airlines time.

If your job hunting then make sure you continue to fresh up on your ATPL technical knowledge. Don't wait to be called for interviews to prepare for technical/personal questions. (Ace The Technical Pilot Interview - Excellent book! Highly recommended). You never know when the call for an interview may come and you should have researched the companies you have applied too (at least know some basic info about them e.g fleets, routes etc). Therefore if they do call you with short notice for telephone interviews or panel interviews you don't have to rush and cram.

Airlines have a habit of calling people for interviews and only giving them a few days before the actual day. Iv even been asked to come to an airline interview the very next day the reason being was that the TR would start the following week! I'm sure there are guys who have even been called on that very day for an interview! Therefore you should have already prepared good answers for the basic questions that every airline will undoubtedly ask such as 'why do you want to be a pilot', 'why X airline' etc and basic tech questions etc..

Ps. I don't work for FR but iv done the telephone interview, albeit awhile back. Your command of English is the primary factor, getting you to answers questions is just a way of making you do more of the talking. Answers to the tech/personal questions will be more important at the panel interview stage, but obviously sensible and correct answers do help your cause!.. so brush up on that knowledge!

Preparation is the key, Good Luck!! :ok:

Aka.

WallyWumpus
27th Apr 2009, 14:49
A credit card number is requested (if you are successful) because Ryanair charge to to go to an interview. I seem to remember paying something in the order of £260.

Stelios1984
27th Apr 2009, 17:37
I have been waiting for just over 2 weeks now... I would like to know how long most other people waited for from having their CV submitted to Ryanair to getting the phone call? I don't want to give up hope just yet.

I'm hoping that they do things like this in "phases".

I chasd CAE recently and they seemed to suggest that if 1 month passes then you probably havent been successful :-(

irishone
27th Apr 2009, 18:05
I applied in Nov through Cae. Screened and put forward by cae in jan ( was a bit of a wait).....still waiting to get called for interview...I imagine it will be a long wait. Not holding my breath for it thats for sure.

Your only waiting 2 weeks yet so no need to panic thats nothing, sure they're getting thousands of cv's in.

Alltheway
2nd Jun 2009, 10:41
There's a whole thread on this topic.

My telephone interview:

Why you did well in this, failed in that..
Why did you choose your FTO
Dates of Licenses
What do you know about flying RyanAir
Why do you wish to Join

N.B - How do you know you'll be getting a call in 2 week's?

irishone
2nd Jun 2009, 17:20
Skycaptain I know a few people that got questions like 'how does an ndb work whats the range....differences between vor & ndb...how does AI work' Some basic enough questions like that. The usual Ryan questions 'How many hubs, how many pilots employed, how many a/c, whats the expected turnover of pax fr 2009, How much did they make in 08'. Ive only heard of 4 people getting telephone interviews like this, everyone else seemed to have gotten the whats the credit card ones.

smith
3rd Jun 2009, 09:57
They asked me if I could touch my toes naked with my trousers and pants at my ankles, I said I couldn't so never got to the credit card number stage.

blusky75
12th Jun 2009, 13:17
ehi guys Do I have any chance with Fr if i have Full ATPL with already a T.Rating ( not 737)? I read on their website they are just looking for pilots with no experience...:rolleyes: thx for the reply!!

Vone Rotate
17th Jun 2009, 13:20
Has anyone had a sniff at an assessment in the last couple of weeks?
I applied via CAE and was told to expect a telephone interview. They said if it does not come in 4 weeks I am to consider myself unsuccessful.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/worry.gif

They also said recruitment has slowed right down however the 4 week rule still applies. I have a little over a week till my 4 weeks is up.

Any thoughts?

Snowiey
17th Jun 2009, 13:59
Its exactly four weeks ago today that CAE informed me that they were forwarding my CV, I havent heard anything since. Last week a guy who did his CPL/IR at Bristol with myself had a reply within a week, which disheartened me a little! Cant think of any real weakness in my training background compared to his (we both got first time CPL/IR passes). So not sure what the deciding factors are. Still holding out hope!

Jon

Vone Rotate
17th Jun 2009, 17:26
Same situation Snowiey,

Have a friend who got an assessment straight off. Only difference is he had a degree and I don't. Flying wise basically the same.

Not sure what to do once the 4 weeks is up?

Is it classed as a fail and its a case of waiting for 12 months to re-apply or do your details stay on there data base and they could call whenever they choose?:ugh:

TheBeak
17th Jun 2009, 17:51
Guys and girls, I am really surprised you are so disappointed to not get a call from them for an interview. I'd imagine they pick names out of a hat more or less. There is absolutely no strategy. I nigh on guarantee that in the long term (and quite possibly in the short term if you did but know it) you will be better off for having not been 'invited' for an interview. There is only one person making Ryanair 'the only way'. I know of more than a few people who wish they had never done the selection, some of which who passed. There also seemed to be no consistency in their pass/fail grade there. Get another job (non flying almost certainly) and sit the recession out, I've said it before and I'll say it again, our careers are a marathon and not a sprint. And I am not saying this as a bitter person who was not 'selected' or who failed I can assure you.

Good luck and get long term in your goals.

TheBeak
18th Jun 2009, 16:55
As of 16th June a complete freeze at every UK base on expansion, command upgrades, pilot base transfers.

Taken from PPJN - it might answer your questions.

Jesper
19th Jun 2009, 08:35
the freeze is rather to keep pilots in their place now when balpa has launched their "please respect us" campaign.
And to answer the earlier question, no you will never fly 10hrs/month in ryanair. Since they pay your recurrent sim-session every 6months by deducting 5eur from your salary every hour, if you dont fly enough they will make a loss just having you hired.

TheBeak
19th Jun 2009, 15:51
if you dont fly enough they will make a loss just having you hired.

On a Brookfield you are barely 'hired' are you? They'll just get rid of you if they can only offer you 10 hours a month, they certainly aren't going to make a loss out of you. They don't make losses on pilots in Ryanair.

Jesper
22nd Jun 2009, 17:21
No exactly my point, they would rather let u go then to let u fly 10hrs/month. And since they are still recruiting happily that would mean that it´s rather unlikeley that you will fly the said 10.

Flyingstig
24th Jun 2009, 07:29
I`ve been trying to find out a bit about the DE Capt process at FR, to no avail.
Brookfield told me that Stan. was a good bet for base if that was my preference. I also applied on line directly to FR. All this a week or so ago. So far no response.
Can you you enlighten me at all? What is the source of this info re. UK basing?

norton2005
25th Jun 2009, 14:33
If i wanted stanstead or luton base what are the chances of me getting this? as opposed to being shipped of somewhere else in europe?

TheBeak
25th Jun 2009, 15:11
Taken from the Ts and Cs section a poster wrote:

the new policy is for all recruitment and promotions also with balpa looming they are not taking anyone from the uk to a uk base (gives balpa one more vote) hope you find a place soon

From what I understand it means that any British applicant will be based outside the UK in order to prevent BALPA membership. Is this true?

norton2005
25th Jun 2009, 17:56
But people who have posted here that are based outside uk have said they to are balpa members........

Mikehotel152
25th Jun 2009, 22:29
I'm not sure the policy started with the Balpa argument, seeing as I was left in no doubt that my first base would be in Spain or Italy at my interview in April. A UK base simply wasn't on the cards.

N739FC
2nd Jul 2009, 11:13
Telephone interview 3 wks ago, got asked;

1. Was I still interested
2. Total hours, expiry of medical and licences
3. Did I pass IR 1st time, why did I partial
4. Why do I want to work for Ryanair
5. How much notice would I need for interview
6. Could I come the following week

Invited to come for interview there and then for the following week.

spudgunjon
2nd Jul 2009, 12:36
N739FC,

Was that for the cadet assesment at EMA?
How did you get on?
How long did it take for them to let you know if you'd been succesful?
By phone/email?
How did you initially apply? through CAE or BFSAA?
Do you know if they have anymore dates planned?

N739FC
6th Jul 2009, 17:13
It was for the cadet assesment at EMA held on the 25 June,
found out today I was unsuccessful :ugh:
so that was 9 working days to get result via email.

I applied through CAE end of March, they rang to say they were forwarding
my cv to Ryanair in May and 3 weeks after that telephone interview and 5 days
notice to come to assesment.

Its a tough blow not to get in, especially as they are the only gig in town right now................

So back to the day job for the moment, got to stay positive....things will get better.:ok:

Vone Rotate
6th Jul 2009, 17:20
N739FC, Check you PM's

V1

The Beer Hunter
6th Jul 2009, 19:23
Chaps..

The main reason for the telephone interview is to assess your command of ENGLISH.

So if your not a native English speaker and English is not your strong point then this should be your primary concern. Ryanair tend to hire alot more foreign crew, so this is a bigger factor for them. Remember theres no point inviting people for interviews only to find out that their level of English is not up to the standard, it wastes the airlines time.

If your job hunting then make sure you continue to fresh up on your ATPL technical knowledge. Don't wait to be called for interviews to prepare for technical/personal questions. (Ace The Technical Pilot Interview - Excellent book! Highly recommended). You never know when the call for an interview may come and you should have researched the companies you have applied too (at least know some basic info about them e.g fleets, routes etc). Therefore if they do call you with short notice for telephone interviews or panel interviews you don't have to rush and cram.

Airlines have a habit of calling people for interviews and only giving them a few days before the actual day. Iv even been asked to come to an airline interview the very next day the reason being was that the TR would start the following week! I'm sure there are guys who have even been called on that very day for an interview! Therefore you should have already prepared good answers for the basic questions that every airline will undoubtedly ask such as 'why do you want to be a pilot', 'why X airline' etc and basic tech questions etc..

Ps. I don't work for FR but iv done the telephone interview, albeit awhile back. Your command of English is the primary factor, getting you to answers questions is just a way of making you do more of the talking. Answers to the tech/personal questions will be more important at the panel interview stage, but obviously sensible and correct answers do help your cause!.. so brush up on that knowledge!

You failed then?

FlapsFive
6th Jul 2009, 20:35
The telephone is more of a vocal medium though, is it not, Beer Hunter?

TheBeak
6th Jul 2009, 20:36
N739FC the fact of the matter is you probably were good enough. I have heard they are profiting something like £4 million a year from these 'selections'. And they aren't getting rid of people after 6 months but they ARE drastically reducing their hours. Ryanair is not the solution to getting a job though I am sure recent cadets will beg to differ. It's not a useful TR to have either.

The Beer Hunter
6th Jul 2009, 22:36
Flaps Five.

It is indeed but if one is dispensing advice, in this case on the use of a language, wouldn't you agree it rather undermines ones position if one can't spell or punctuate for sh*t?

;)

paddingtonbear319
6th Jul 2009, 23:00
er tell them they have dialled the wrong number, job or no job you're better off without them!!

tupues
7th Jul 2009, 00:07
£4 million a year on the assessments. Means over 43 a day £250 a pop with zero overheads...

I heard they made £4 billion on the type ratings as well!

BigNumber
7th Jul 2009, 00:32
Ahh, but still they come waving their debit cards!

I guess MOL will be well placed to have infinite BRK punters flying 5-10 hours each per month. Plenty of type ratings to keep the tills well fed.

No minimum guaranted hours per month in the BRK contract is there?!:}

More punters / (sorry I mean pilots) = fewer hours to go round. I am sure we can count on MOL's inherent sense of decency not to rip folks off! At least my cheap trips to Spain will continue to be subsidized. Thanks to all concerned!

nick14
7th Jul 2009, 17:49
Friend of mine is happily doing near 100hrs this month with a week out of base he is post 500hrs...............

TheBeak
7th Jul 2009, 19:00
£250 a pop

If you're going to be a smart arse it's £260 or 350 Euros (£302 by todays rates) - whichever they feel like charging you.

They are making a profit from it and that, regardless of the amount, is laughable. It is for recruitment for goodness sake, if that doesn't tell you they don't have any requirement for people I don't know what does.

As I have said really think about what you are getting in to, the 737 Tr is absolutely f-ing useless unless you have ALOT of hours and then it is just f-ing useless - unless you want to work in one of the worlds arsehol*s or for one of the worlds arsehol*s. Turkey? Nigeria? Indonesia? The Emirates really? Ryanair? Wonderful, well worth the effort.

Don't waste your money, hold tight, better things are around the corner - whenever that corner maybe. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Rhodes13
8th Jul 2009, 07:16
The beak for someone who is a wannabe you certainly have a lot of opinions of what actually goes on in the market. I not on another thread your telling some poor soul who's just lost his job about how it should all be done all the while your currently a wannabe!

Im astounded that you think a 737 type rating is useless. Pray tell what is a good type to have at the moment?

Want to fly long haul eventually for the likes of BA or VS (when the market picks up) well you'll need JAR 25 time, want to go overseas oh this time you'll probably need time on aircraft over MTOW 55T. Fact is at this point in time being a pilot is **** there's no two ways about it. But as always it will eventually turn around like it always does.

How on earth could you say that operating a modern EFIS jet and having a couple thousand hours is useless is beyond me.

As to the pay for interview its **** but I'll let you in on a secret there is a very large National carrier that charges you for interviews as well, now how does that sit with your view that RYR are the worst of the worst.

Listen RYR is by no means sugar and sweetness but it is a very very good place to get a first job with top rate SOP's, great guys on the line and interesting flying. I myself joined two years ago and I am now on a command course. If I had listened to the morons like you I'd still be waiting for that "golden opportunity" to arise.

Face facts people the market for pilots has moved on and if you want to stay in the game there isn't much else on the the moment. As they say beggars can't be choosers.

The beak maybe spend more time looking for work instead of being on pprune and your attitude would improve! :ugh:

tupues
8th Jul 2009, 12:25
hear hear!!!!!

TheBeak
8th Jul 2009, 16:03
The beak for someone who is a wannabe

Who said I am a wannabe? What is your definition of a wannabe? I have a CPL/IR with all 14 ATPLs and several hundred hours on the 737NG. Then I lost my job. So how am I a wannabe? I 'wannanother' job if that fits your description.

I not on another thread your telling some poor soul who's just lost his job about how it should all be done all the while your currently a wannabe!

Im astounded that you think a 737 type rating is useless. Pray tell what is a good type to have at the moment?

Ok Rhodes13 go and have a look back at the thread and see that everyone agrees that a 737 TR is not the TR to have. Not unless, as I said in my 'disclaimer', you want to work in a 'less desirable place' or for a 'less than desirable employer' and have a fair few hours.

Given the style of your writing and given the fact you work for Ryanair I clearly offended you on both accounts when I said:

unless you want to work in one of the worlds arsehol*s or for one of the worlds arsehol*s.

I am entitled to offer my opinion, based upon my experience so please don't try and poo poo me on the basis of nothing but you not liking having your 'golden opportunity' golden showered upon.

As to the pay for interview its **** but I'll let you in on a secret there is a very large National carrier that charges you for interviews as well, now how does that sit with your view that RYR are the worst of the worst.

National to who? One of the 'less than desirables' of the world that are trying desperately to make hay while the sunshines? It doesn't sit well Rhodes13, it doesn't sit at all well.

The beak maybe spend more time looking for work instead of being on pprune and your attitude would improve!

Good one! Speaking of spending time on things maybe if you had the patience to be SELECTED you wouldn't have had to pay for your TR.

If I had listened to the morons like you I'd still be waiting for that "golden opportunity" to arise.

Paid for opportunities haven't 'arisen', you paid for it, especially two years ago. I know a couple of guys at FR who openly admit they were useless at the selection back then and they still were taken on. As for calling it 'golden' - that is entirely subjective and not one shared by myself.

I will continue to offer my opinion and advice, if you don't like it ignore it - top tip of the day young man/lady.:ok:

Rhodes13
8th Jul 2009, 18:06
National as in QF and thanks for the assumptions I see its a two way street. I was good enough to get offered CX and QF but the recession has put a back burner on that. And why was I offered those jobs, do you think maybe it could have been because I had 737 time, multi crew etc???

I deeply resent that you think the only reason I got a job was for the fact that I paid for it and an apology would be appreciated, or are only those that fly for flag carriers good enough?

Perhaps all the drivers at RYR are crap, better tell the CAA the only reason we got the job is because we paid! Lord knows that no other company has people of questionable skills in it, must only be a RYR thing.:ugh:

I still maintain RYR is a good place to work, I would value your opinion if you ACTUALLY worked there and didn't comment on the crap that is written on pprune. But hey maybe knowing the facts of the company is a bad thing. Maybe I should tell the Nigels how they should deal with WW or the boys at Virgin how to deal with SRB. I have always said there are many undesirable things about my company but overall its a good place to work.

So lets get this right you think logging PIC time on a 737 earning a decent salary debts paid off and accumulating hours are subjective, who do you think will be better placed when the upturn kicks in? Me or you?

Just a question for you, what would you do if you were the poor soul who had just lost his job, sit it out praying that some fairy would offer you a job, or get into the market again? As they say you gotta be in it to win it. I agree speculating is generally undesirable but if it has a paid job at the end why not, or should we all live on principles that doesn't pay bills.

As to an undesirable places to work, where exactly do you think all the growth in airlines will be in the next decade? Europe with a saturated market and high penetration of airline flying or emerging markets in the 3rd world with growing populations of middles classes. Not being willing to move there is limiting your potential career severely and as a pilot you have to be prepared to move to get work no?

But hey I mustn't know anything as apparently the only reason I fly a 737 is because I paid for it! :mad:

TheBeak
9th Jul 2009, 15:56
Dick......No.

flames24
9th Jul 2009, 17:17
Having finished my ATPL this year I now find myself stuck watching those who can 'pay' for ryanair moving into that '1st job'. However, I have no hard feelings towards them, I think despite the 'no flying hours' horror stories still think its a great option in these desperate times...(any ryanair guys out there to support my views??...perhaps not as you are are too busy flying for a living and not worrying about PPrune!!!)
Having saved and budgeted to get through all the training I just wish Id budgeted another 30k for a type rating....better than trying to get a decent non aviation job with 'ATPL' on your CV....in a recession with few jobs anywhere very few employers are filling to risk employing someone who is obviously distracted elsewhere....times are tough..I admire those willing to risk more to keep in the industry....as a low hours pilot surely i'm stuck for quite a while to come!

Allioth
11th Jul 2009, 21:00
Dear Flames24,
I perfectly understand your point...
I finished my CPL/ME/IR just a month and a half ago... Asked to OAA Stockholm if, doing my MCC with them would have guaranteed me an interview with Ryanair, they said YES... Done the MCC, right after coming back to UK, got an email saying: now, chances of getting an interview are down to 20%, and waiting time to get an offer for an interview are about 7 weeks... Now... Does this give you any plus, having done things with Ryanair's official training for MCC? I'm still waiting...
I inderstand your "low hours" situation, as it's mine as well... But think of this: RYR is probably the only one now recruiting low hours pilots. They prefere us because they can get a lot of money from our TR, and the excuse of the first 6 months low money contract while you're on line training... Having said this, I personally don't think it's a bad choice. Ok, the management may squeeze you until you're at 900 hours a year, and they don't treat you with a lot of respect (that's what they say)... But you get very intresting flying with them! Loads of NDBs, circlings, etc... And you get your captain offer after just three years in the company! Where on earth can you get that? BA lets you smell the left seat after 15 years!!
Anyway... I'm getting far from the thread now...
Go for it if you can... I know 30k are a lot of money, if you don't have them, than find a non flying job, get hired permanently, and ask for a loan!
Besides, don't stay at home doing nothing, because inactivity is not very well seen in ANY job. Get something, anything, as I am doing... And meanwhile, look around.
Good luck, my friend... We'll need it both of us, and so will another big bunch of pilots...

irishone
16th Jul 2009, 21:37
Was told today it will be 6 months before they start doing any more interviews.

spudgunjon
17th Jul 2009, 08:25
I'd seond that with an added "At least"

It will be interesting to note whether they update their website similarly to last year to illustarte this fact.

6 months = January (?) Last time I believe it was February before they lifted the freeze?