PDA

View Full Version : Sallys T*Ts

racedo
18th Mar 2009, 11:13
A excolleague whose brother flew GR3s told me a story that in Shrops/Mid Wales there was a way point called Sallys Tits. Not sure whether he was spoofing or not.

Same time he said there was a farmer who wrote Piss Off RAF on his barn in same area which had the opposite effect in ensuring people came to see it.

True or False ?

Fintastic
18th Mar 2009, 11:26
Always wondered who Sally was though, I heard a story that it was a Shawbury Air Traffic girl!:ok:

IIRC the barn wore "Piss off Biggles".:D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Mar 2009, 11:27
Web End, was a spoof RP I heard about from a Canberra flyer..

Gnd
18th Mar 2009, 11:30
Not sure about that but do remember 'EJ is a To**er' on the shore of the Loch Neigh water sports ISOs roof - EJ being a Lynx jock from 5

Archimedes
18th Mar 2009, 11:31
"I'm afraid that not all the locals are particularly keen on you, Bigglesworth," said Air Commodore Raymond... (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.targeta.co.uk/images/piss_off_biggles.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.targeta.co.uk/wheretogo.htm&usg=__3wQUChwHjgpK6cYETL9Yj5Q8Va4=&h=405&w=640&sz=77&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=hX1p_XPqBPuakM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522piss%2Boff%2Bbiggles%2522%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3 Den)

Fg Off Max Stout
18th Mar 2009, 11:31
http://www.targeta.co.uk/images/piss_off_biggles.jpeg

Sally's Tits are the Clee Hills near Ludlow.

Wensleydale
18th Mar 2009, 11:50
I heard a story that a certain Maritime Sqn painted their Sqn Number on their hanger roof in roman numerals. One night, personnel from a similar type Sqn crept onto the roof and added a couple of extra letters. The result was the word "CXXTS" on the said hangar.

(off thread, but a similar thing was tried with a French Mirage during GW2. The White UN on the tail was to have been modified by the addition of the letters C..TS, but the raiding party was discovered by security before it could take place).

The Helpful Stacker
18th Mar 2009, 12:03
There was an RAF publicity photo of a DHFS Griffin flying past Sally's T!ts but I can't find it at the mo.

airborne_artist
18th Mar 2009, 12:09
Discussed in 2004 here on Pprune (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/141537-sallys-pendulous-ones.html).

racedo
18th Mar 2009, 12:44
FG

Classic photo.:ok:

Rear seat is also having a gander at it.

racedo
18th Mar 2009, 12:51
Thanks Airborne

Lot more Smut around then:)

Dan Winterland
18th Mar 2009, 13:05
Just goes to show how bright the Welsh are! How many more aircraft flew down that valley after the paint job I wonder? Every one of my students got to see that barn!

FFP
18th Mar 2009, 14:16
P!ss off Biggles may or may noy have been my target on my FNT at Valley.

Am sure I hit it first time, but was told a re atttack was in order ;)

(Was about the only thing I did hit from then on into Tac Wpns........;))

BlackIsle
18th Mar 2009, 16:01
and not forgetting the witches t*t close to Helmsdale coasting in en route to pork chop loch and moon country .......ah what fun!

airsound
18th Mar 2009, 19:39
and then there are the tumuliform Wittenham Clumps, just south east of the Wittenhams in Oxfordshire, locally known as
Mother Bunch's Buttocks

Not sure who Mother Bunch was.

airsound

cazatou
18th Mar 2009, 20:13
IIRC the Barns co-ordinates were plotted by a PR Canberra and transmitted to all FJ Units. These co-ordinates were then entered in their aircrafts Nav suite so that all one had to do to update ones navigation suite was to overfly the Barn and press the update button.

Of course that could just be hearsay!!

Mandator
18th Mar 2009, 20:13
As an ex-Brat, I am reminded of a tale told by one of the Halton instructors, more than 40 years ago now. He was on a Shack squadron and they were taking part in a big maritime exercise somewhere in Australasia. As well as the Brits there were squadrons from Oz and NZ.

The said base had a huge water tower and during the first night of the exercise the Kiwis nipped out and painted a huge Kiwi on the side of the tower. The following night the Aussies nipped out, painted over the Kiwi and replaced it with a huge image of a kangaroo. Naturally, on the third night everyone was full of expectation - what would the Brits do? Much to everyone's surprise, the following morning the kangaroo was still there. However, on looking more closely they saw a ball and chain painted around the kangaroo's leg!

camelspyyder
18th Mar 2009, 20:16
Years ago whilst test flying at Woodford, Al Hegarty wrote his car off on "Andrew's Knob" :ooh:...fnarr!

(It's between Whaley Bridge and the Avro factory)

HarrysHawk
18th Mar 2009, 22:56
'Selkirk Tits' have re-erected many a lost-studes' toppled gyros, too.

Ray Dahvectac
18th Mar 2009, 23:10
I was going to post the "Aircrew Map of the UK" from The Aircrew Dictionary (bannedphrases.co.uk) but it appears to have disappeared from the Internet.

It survives on pprune ... ;) (albeit perhaps an older version)

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/259134-aviators-map-britain.html

jwcook
19th Mar 2009, 08:36
I'd also heard that during the first Gulf war the Americans were a bit confused by some chatter from Tornado Crews.

When ATC asked them for their position they often replied with just passing over the GAFA.

After repeatedly pouring over the maps and finding no reference to GAFA they finally ask where it was, answer :- GAFA = Great Arabian F$%K All.

Well it made me smile:ok:

nunquamparatus
19th Mar 2009, 10:28
I thought it was MMFD?

Miles and Miles of F*&king Desert

L J R
19th Mar 2009, 10:59
Thought GAFA was Great Australian F..,,,,..and - It Actually was an ICAO reporting point between Alice Springs and Kunnunurra.....

Was also a 'No RAAF' painted on roof of a house on the Bells line of road (Willy to Richmond low lvl). Of course it was used as a recce pt quite often.

Argonautical
19th Mar 2009, 15:41
Actually, I think the origin of this MM... stuff is the 1955 Robert Ruark book "Something of Value", where the white hunter tells his client "There it is, the MMBA.....Miles and Miles of Bloody Africa". Mind you, I suppose he might have heard it from somewhere.

Ali Qadoo
19th Mar 2009, 15:47
I think there are quite a few variants: "Mamba" country - Miles and Miles of B*gger All, is the one I've heard used most often.

Gnd
19th Mar 2009, 15:55
I use NIIL most of the time.

No Idea I'm Lost

Gainesy
19th Mar 2009, 16:04
Not forgetting Lake Dilligaf, Mount Dilligaf etc.:)

Double Zero
19th Mar 2009, 16:04
I believe Glastonbury Tor was / is known as " The Tit " !

A2QFI
19th Mar 2009, 18:25
When flying in East Africa (as was) in the 60s, there was some suitgable geological formation known as "The Queen of Sheba's T*ts". I don't recall just where, any Khormaksar Hunter mates around to help on this?

Out Of Trim
19th Mar 2009, 19:45
On Pembrey Range - FRA (First Run Attacks) were quite often spotted from the the Range as over Llansaint Church and vocalised as "Nipple"

Being a readily identifiable point on the top of a hill! It kind of stood out.. :eek::}

shack
20th Mar 2009, 09:01
A2QFI (http://www.pprune.org/members/55134-a2qfi)

Not a Khormaksar Hunter mate but a Khormaksar Shackleton mate, the aforementioned T*ts were at either side of the entrance to the Wadi Hadramout a fair distance East of Khormaksar (if the Hunters went that far we would have to go with them to make sure they did not get lost!!)

country calls
20th Mar 2009, 12:44
There are a set in Sierra Leonne, a set in Oman and a set in Afghanistan - pairs of mountains set side by side called the Dixon Twins.

Anybody who served on the C130K fleet late '90s early 2000's will recognise who these mounds were named after...............

SVK
21st Mar 2009, 00:13
country calls,

God Bless You Son.

It's taken me a few minutes to stop choking on my wine I can tell you!

Dundiggin'
21st Mar 2009, 12:02
Hilarious......

Reminds me that in Hong Kong NT we had 'Nellie's nipple' :uhoh: - a prominent 'pointer' to the entrance to Kidourie (sp?) Gap.

MaxReheat
21st Mar 2009, 21:07
Sally's T..s = Brown Clee Hill (the one with the radar on top) and (appropriately) Titterstone Clee Hill, Shropshire. The former is higher and larger than the latter, a common feature of the female anatomy, too.

Sally = Sally (then) Cox, the first girl/female to go through 4FTS circa 1990.

Sleeping
21st Mar 2009, 21:57
The Clee Hills yes, but they were known as Sally's long before 1990. I recall using the name at TWU Brawdy in the 1970s !! They even got a mention in the 6 Sqn line book in the 80s - call on the RT when the formation got split up "hey Tony, is that you coming over ..... " :E

country calls
22nd Mar 2009, 17:20
WARNING: PUT YOUR WINE DOWN SVK

Surely the Clee Hills were located in the 57R/LXX Loady section?