PDA

View Full Version : Noisy choppers Tue night over North East Mel

dantanna
17th Mar 2009, 22:23
Anyone have any idea what the incredibly loud noisemaker was over Rosanna/Viewbank area last night about 9.30pm?

Was so loud and so low that windows shook and alarms went off.

If you look at WebTrak:
WebTrak: Melbourne International Airport (http://mel.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html)

and go to 9.20pm and turn on tracks you'll see something with an SSR code 6000 at 100m in the area doing figure 8's.

i love my aircraft noise ( right under EN 27 ILS ) but this was something else!

flog
17th Mar 2009, 22:49
I heard it too and was wondering.

Maybe a Chinook - they are doing the SAS anti-terror training in and around Melbourne at the moment and there's Blackhawks all over the place. The area you heard it flying is used as a training area for EMS choppers alot and if the Chniook was at Watsonia base then they would excersise in the area there.

IMHO.

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 22:56
That would be the Army Blackhawks. They will be operating over Melbourne for the next few weeks. It was in the paper last week.

Sunfish
17th Mar 2009, 23:05
Blackhawks were practicing their "insertion" techniques. They do it in the afternoon as a NEWD (Nigh Exercise Without Darkness), then they do it at night.

They were doing the "hostage" scenario at Fort Gellibrand Monday night till late. Two ships, one out to one side at Fifty feet arrives first for the bad guys to have a fire fight with........then the second one drops SAS right on top of them while they are otherwise occupied.

flog
17th Mar 2009, 23:07
Pretty sure it wasn't a Blackhawk - there was only one, and it was bigger and louder than any Blackhawk I've seen operating.

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 23:16
From the media:

"The helicopters will be conducting routine helicopter training operations above Melbourne and suburban areas from 16 to 24 March to ensure pilots are well trained for flying in all conditions.

Melbourne residents may notice some increased noise from the flights but the army said every effort would be made to minimise time spent over residential areas, with flying to finish by 11pm each day.

Training will take place at Fort Gellibrand (Williamstown) and Watsonia (16-17 March), Olympic Park and Fishermans Bend (18 March), Melbourne Airport and the Docklands stadium (19 March) and HMAS Cerberus (20 March), followed by the Melbourne CBD on 23 and 24 March."

dantanna
18th Mar 2009, 02:23
great - knew someone here would know!
thanks

mickk
18th Mar 2009, 07:23
This exercise seems to be an annual event now.

If the helis are configured as previous years, there are great photo ops as they have all the pointy bits sticking out of and on them, which you dont usually get to see.

Buster Hyman
18th Mar 2009, 07:32
When they did this leading up to the Commonwealth Games, it was an awesome sight. Low level night flying...scared the cat it did!

YoDawg
18th Mar 2009, 08:00
Sunfish I realise you have a loose affiliation of sorts with "2" - you've dropped a few hints here and there.

And whilst you are not exactly giving away state secrets, may I point out it is somewhat poor form to discuss the nature of the events the way you have.

This is not what we do with "inside knowledge" even of the most basic nature, especially if you happen to be "known"!