PDA

View Full Version : BLADES & KNIVES get onto flight at DUBLIN today

genius747
2nd Oct 2001, 23:20
Today an Irish news reporter from tv3 successfully managed to get passed all security and baggage x-ray machines at Dublin Airport. Three double sides razor blades, one pointed nail file, a sissors, and a multi purpose fold out pliers and knive are all the items that she successfully got onto the plane. She chose not to actually take the flight, but it was evidently clear she had no problem getting the "BANNED ITEMS" onto the plane. Air Rianta refused to comment on camera!!!
What are they at in Dublin? Not very reassuring at all.

FlapsOne
3rd Oct 2001, 01:43
How stupid!!!!!!

Why doesn't she just email details of how she did it to every terrorist outfit on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt she'll make a tv prog now to make sure we have another tragic incident somewhere. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tripower455
3rd Oct 2001, 03:58
She doesn't HAVE to email it to anyone! Any terrorist worth his salt will go to the airport and SEE for himself that NOTHING'S changed!

In the States, she would have been arrested!

After emptying my bags of all "weapons" before coming back to work, I inadvertantly forgot a mini Swiss Army Knife in my computer bag. I travelled around for 2 WEEKS with this "weapon" in my bag, going through no less than a dozen "security" checkpoints with it before I found it on an overnight when I was looking for something else!

I am sure glad that I had no clue that I had a weapon in my bag.........I might have tried to HIJACK MYSELF! :rolleyes:

I feel MUCH safer now........

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: Tripower455 ]

yip yip yip
3rd Oct 2001, 13:22
A colleague of mine is still carrying around a large Swiss army knife and getting through security at MAN every day!

Seat 32F
3rd Oct 2001, 14:41
I received this today from a friend in Taiwan. I think it speaks for itself:

I visited Kuala Lumpur last weekend on business flying on the Taiwanese carrier EVA Airways. I bought a small manicure set duty free on board as a present for my wife.

When starting my return journey from KL, said manicure set was spotted by X Ray in my baggage. I had to surrender it to security for collection at the other end.

EVA were still selling these things on the return flight.

So - You cannot take weapons on board a plane - but it's OK to buy them on the plane duty free!!!

Understand me one & all - I'm all for tighter security - no problem for me. But a little ironic eh???

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: Seat 32F ]

spuds
3rd Oct 2001, 23:06
With all this plastic cutlery don't know how the pax are going to eat their 1st class steak!
Rest assured, not a problem.

Per Ardua Ad Asda
4th Oct 2001, 00:56
Finger-Buffets only, in future?

DamienB
4th Oct 2001, 17:20
Went through STN last Wednesday - checked thoroughly. Came back from CIA yesterday, and bored security guards were letting passengers check themselves through the x-ray and metal detector machines. When I put metal items in a tray no-one was even looking in our direction so I would have had no problem at all putting a gun, never mind a knife, in the tray and pocketing it after walking through the detector. One woman set off the detector, and even then there was no response from the guards - she went back through on her own and removed a bracelet to try again.

Not awfully encouraging really...

FlyboyUK
4th Oct 2001, 17:59
Heard two seperate reports from a collegue and a friend, that they had been in queue through staff search point at a certain welsh airport and had seen several baggage handlers go through ahead of them. Each handler set off the detecor, but not one of them was searched by the security staff!

sgt.culpepper
4th Oct 2001, 18:35
genius 747. A gentle warning,you should thread carefully about the title of your thread .On my reading of the story the Blades & knives did not actually get on the flight. Not only that but it seems that Aer Rianta who run the airports have challenged the story pointing out that some of the footage shown was filmed last june and that no evidence of a security breech was provided despite requests from them.Presumebly if the TV station were really interested in proving their case ,they would have presented the evidence ther and then to a police officer.

airbourne
4th Oct 2001, 20:30
I was out in Dublin airport on Tuesday evening to pick up my parents. Naturally the flight was delayed so I decided to have a walk around to check out the new security features in DUB. They do have a 'airport joey' at departures entrance checking bags with a metal detector, but if you want to avoid that walk through the arrivals section, cos theres no check. In the whole of the airport I spotted 2 airport 'joeys' one old enough to be IFRs grandad (and thats old!!! :D ) and the other leaning over an Aer Lingus desk flirting with the girl behind the desk. I also saw 2 members of the gardai who only wanted to be inside so they could get a frothy cup of coffee fro bewleys!! So apart from that visual presence that was it. Its obivious that Aer Rianta are not taking the threat serious of an a/c being hijacked in Ireland and been flown into something in London which is only an hour away.

I applaude the TV3 reporter, maybe someone will finally show up Aer Rianta and the serious lack of security in Dublin airport before there really is a serious incident.

whatshouldiuse
4th Oct 2001, 22:22
All;

People who strive for glory at this point, in wake of the terroist destruction of the WTC towers are beyond reproach.

I could say she is the scum of the earth, but that wouldn't do scum justice. I could say they are only trying to make a living, but that wouldn't do justice to all to all the makeshift memorials in New York where all people want is some information...not to mention the 340 dead firefighters. That alone makes the reporter a lowlife parasite... at best !!

It's a total disregard and disrespect for those who perished that anybody would try a stunt like this right now. If the reporter had done this in the US, she would probably have been arrested at the very least or maybe even shot. But why waste a good bullet on somebody who has no comprehension of what is right and what is wrong. Save it for bin Laden.

Whatshouldiuse

2A
4th Oct 2001, 22:23
Security, like everything else at Dublin Airport, is a joke. Since the awful events of Sept. 11th , Security has "progressed" from security staff ignoring the x-ray monitors whilst they chat with colleagues, to casting the odd glance at them.

Speedbrake Lever
4th Oct 2001, 22:38
Just something for those that don't know or should I say don't want to think

" Security" how much do they pay ???

No matter where I am on this planet of ours I look at the Faces scanning

and there it is " Total Boredom"

can you blame them have you ever seen a security man/woman's paycheck ??

This is a total NO WIN situation

I'm afraid when you're numbers UP its UP

Fact of Life ?

Let the disputers begin arguing

" BUT "

waht can anyone do !!!

NOWT I'm afraid

SL

LevelFive
4th Oct 2001, 23:40
Passenger gets shotgun through airport X-ray

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- A passenger was arrested when an airport security guard searched his bag and found a disassembled shotgun -- but only after it had gone through X-ray screening unnoticed.

Bradley Cooper, 20, told investigators the gun and duffel bag belonged to his roommate and he had forgotten the gun was inside.

Investigators said an X-ray machine operator didn't recognize the shapes of the shotgun and ammunition :eek: on Cooper's first trip through security Tuesday at Colorado Springs Airport.

Cooper left the terminal for a cigarette, taking the bag with him. When he returned, a hand-search turned up the gun.

Federal prosecutors did not immediately file charges.

"We are not sure there is a relevant crime for him," said Dick Weatherbee, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver. "It is a federal crime to take a weapon on an aircraft, but he never got on a plane."

Police said Cooper's roommate confirmed the shotgun was his. The roommate, who has four prior felony convictions, was arrested for investigation of possession of a firearm by a felon.

[ 04 October 2001: Message edited by: LevelFive ]

Elliot Moose
5th Oct 2001, 04:59
Security in some places is good and tight. At EHAM a couple days ago, they had completely dispensed with the "wands". They had a male and female agent at each security gate who COMPLETELY :eek: patted anybody down who set off the walk-through detector. The only thing that I didn't have patted down was the soles of my feet! Sure wish I'd left my metal belt buckle at home though. ;)

Mister Gash
5th Oct 2001, 13:09
whatshouldiuse,

The report was in the public interest and highlighted the serious security flaws which exist at DUB and, I’m sure, many other places. I don’t see how this could be interpreted as glory-hunting or disrespectful to the victims of September 11th.

I think your anger should be reserved for the airport management organisations which continue to put all our lives at risk by failing to respond appropriately to the terrorist threat.

Last night, despite the terrorist attacks and the TV exposé of security at DUB, I was able to get airside without being checked once or asked for my ID.

Gash

airbourne
5th Oct 2001, 21:00
Gash,

Did you walk along by the luggage belts to the end, up the stairs and out the door onto the ramp. Before anyone gives out to me for printing this, maybe somebody in Aer Rianta will see this and make the necessary changes. Pull the finger out lads before DUB is used as new target for worldwide terrorists!

Bearcat
5th Oct 2001, 21:36
Walked through sec at as discussed the other day and the guy behind the x ray machine was using his mobile phone! He didnt seem to paying to much attention to the monitor. A very talented security person! Get the finger out guys or the next monitor to watch will be in the welfare office taking your place in the queue.

sgt.culpepper
8th Oct 2001, 20:01
mister gash and airbourne aren't you both a right pair of wally's.Security is a serious business which demands the co-operation of everyone in the business.What is the point of telling pprune about it?.
tell those that matter and can do something about it .Mister gash you should have gone straight to the senior police officer or whoever is in charge and told him/her about your experience. airbourne you are worse, you detail a route which you claim can get you airside so you tell pprune in the hope that someone in aer rianta might see it. Why not make sure that they will know about it by contacting a senior person in that company. If you are serious people you should act accordingly and do your bit to help.

airbourne
8th Oct 2001, 20:37
Sgt culpepper,

Why dont you go and kiss my big hairy ass?! The whole point of this thread and what people do is to highlight obivious security holes. No sorry about that big ****in holes in the security at Dublin. Yes Ive already said in a letter sent to Dublin airport almost 12 months ago about how easy it was to access the ramp both from the road and the terminal!! Where in the EU are you? Because the security is probably a lot better in your local airport, In fact the security in Toys 'R' Us is better than that at Dublin. AND BEFORE YOU RELLAY **** ME OFF ABOUT IT, IM GONNA SCREAM HERE AND ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL SOMEBODY IN AER RIANTA DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

For a bit of an entertaining about the airport 'police' check out www.airportpolice.com (http://www.airportpolice.com)

Mister Gash
9th Oct 2001, 16:37
sgt.culpepper,

I think it is quite obvious from my post that I DO take my security and that of others seriously. Unfortunately, Aer Rianta doesn’t seem to be so concerned. I think the company’s attitude to the television article shows how they behave when confronted with flaws in their security system. I must also say that any dealings I’ve had with the Airport Police at DUB in the past have been unpleasant encounters, to say the least.

Gash

moggie
10th Oct 2001, 04:33
Quote from a Buzz steward "I don't know why we stop you taking knives on board at Stansted, you could take a chainsaw in your hand baggage at Jerez and they wouldn't say a word". The trouble is, he's right. The security is lax - but still not as bad as the USA was until 11 sept.

Mind you, two decent sized blokes could take control of an aeroplane with no weapons at all if the cockpit door is capable of being breached. Add to that the fact that the in-flight meal comes complete with weapons (you can kill a man with a plastic knife) and you realise that there is no way of stopping all the crazies.

How about: hairpins, leg calipers, mace spray in handbags, heavy duty plaster cast (great club as my brother found out in a fight at age 7), the (broken) plastic ruler from a kids pencil set etc. etc.

However, ask the question, "when did a european airliner last get hijacked?". Also, ask yourselves, which large western atlantic country allowed un-accompanied baggage to fly until 11 sept? You would have thought that after Lockerbie they might have learned that airline security is not someone elses problem. It just showed a blind assumption that anyone living in America would not be bad enough to hijack an airliner.

I am as shocked and disgusted as anyone else - I was stunned and numbed as I watched the footage and then had to go into the sim to train airline pilots of the future. You sometimes wonder what is happening to the world and if there is any hope of halting theses people.

However, if you want security you need more than just lip service to the principles. Keep on highlighting the defects, folks, and that goes for the press too - only then will the loopholes be closed off.

[ 10 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

Airking
10th Oct 2001, 12:01
Security...
As an BizAv guy I only can wonder what the hell they (security) think. Since Sep the 11th I get checked much more in my Homebase (EDDS). What they apparently don´t understand is, that as a Pilot I wouldn´t need a weapon to hijack myself...
On the other hand there are so many foreigners (to be exact: muslim foreigners) working as cleaners , loaders and caterers, that would pass the gates unchecked simply because of the sheer numbers.
Airking

Nishko
10th Oct 2001, 23:44
I boarded a Ryanair flight back from Dinard to Stansted on Monday. My hand luggage contained 4 rather nice bottles (glass)of wine, but my nail file was taken off me...

What would you rather be attacked with; a 2.5 inch blunt nail file, or a broken wine bottle....?

Flame
11th Oct 2001, 04:25
Airbourne;

Firstly, what is your problem with everyone at Dublin Airport....

"I also saw 2 members of the gardai who only wanted to be inside so they could get a frothy cup of coffee from bewleys!!"

What in the name of God brought you to the conclusion that two Gardai, by being in the airport just wanted to get a cup of coffee..are you for real ..??

So, by having a walk around the terminal you saw at first hand all the security at Dublin..!! Tell me how you can walk into the arrivals area with no check..?

I for one, can give you a detailed list of security failures at DUB that would make your hair stand up and no doubt show Aer Rianta up for their total lack of planning in this field, but this is neither the forum nor time for this type of disclosure to all and sundry.

I hope everyone reading these pages will remember that Aer Rianta hire their own private security people, who go by the name of "airport police", In Ireland there is only one recognised police force (The Garda). This private security wing of Aer Rianta, dress, behave and drive vehicles with the same colours and identification as the "real police in Ireland. People who work at Dublin Airport call the Aer Rianta security people "the Joeys" They have limited powers at the airport and have been sued many times for breaching peoples rights. Each time they are sued, they never contest the details in the courts are cases are settled "out of court"

I do agree with your last line though..
"Its obivious that Aer Rianta are not taking the threat serious of an a/c being hijacked in Ireland and been flown into something in London which is only an hour away."
:eek: :eek: :D :eek: :eek:

airbourne
11th Oct 2001, 06:09
Flame,

I dont have anything against anybody at Dublin airport. I simply want to make a point. Yes, I too know about the 'joeys' and their shameful practices. Did you check out www.airportpolice.com (http://www.airportpolice.com) which gives a shameful account of a body that is supposed to protect us and visiting aircraft at DUB. In light of what TV3 did at the airport last week simply raised the issue at the airport. What have Aer Rianta done about this so far, nothing apart from demand an apology from TV3. When I said I walked around the arrivals area I meant the public arrivals area, nothing else, but from first hand knowledge have seen the rest right down to and around the ramp.

Now lets not start mud slinging at each other, I simply want to get the point across from someone who uses DUB at least once a month and has several friends working in a lot of different area of the terminal.

So the question remains, will Aer Rianta do anything about this and secondly will they make any statement about the TV3 report? In short probably not!

Max Angle
11th Oct 2001, 14:39
A crew in our company who positioned back from DUB the other day had their razor blades taken off them at security. It did'nt cause to much of a problem though because once they were airside they managed to buy some more at the duty free!. Things are getting a little silly me thinks.

Flame
12th Oct 2001, 03:58
Airbourne;

OK, lets not get heated here, firstly..I totally agree with you about the "airport security people" at Dublin Airport..I.E "The Joeys", Their management, just like most in the higher echelons at Aer Rianta are total dimwits. My only problem with what you said was in relation to your comments re the 2 members of the Gardai at Dublin Airport when you saw them..your comment about them was unjustified

Over to you..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

airbourne
12th Oct 2001, 07:36
Flame,

Well thats exactly what they were doing nothing else. My point is that all other airports have increased the 'presence' Dublin havnt. It woulnt exactly inspire confidence would it?

sgt.culpepper
12th Oct 2001, 13:23
Airbourne, your response (kiss my....etc) to what was a gentle rebuke says a lot about you. I suspect you attract attention from security people purely by your attitude to them. I could be wrong of course. My original point remains. If you spot something wrong, tell it to those in charge,. If nothing happens keep going up the line until somethoing does happen.You will get more personal satisfaction that way.Flame, I have not seen anything in the Irish papers over here about abuses of peoples rights by airport police. I have however seen plenty of news stories about abuse of power by the "civilian power" the Garda in Donegal.So, be fair in your comments.