PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Lighting

chiplight2005
17th Mar 2009, 15:28
Hello,

Can someone give me a reference in JAR-OPS of the required lighting that MUST be given by an airport in IFR conditions on an approach to landing.

Thanks,
CP

P.S.: I have been looking. :ok:

vipero
17th Mar 2009, 15:36
would not say a foolish thing, but guess that JAR-OPS (or EU-OPS) rule operators, not airport management...

no sig
17th Mar 2009, 19:36
chiplight2005

Maybe its the way you have asked your question, but I think you'll find there isn't any MUST involved. For example, and as I'm sure you know- an airport can downgrade or notify of u/s sytems in it's lighting by NOTAM- this of course may/will affect an operators take off/landing minima and level of ILS category that could be available. But an airport operator would normally always endeavour to have all its lighting available; but things go wrong and lighting failures do occur.

JAROPS1 doesn't concern itself with aerodrome standards and licensing; but it does of course address aerodrome operating minima and minimum lighting requirements for given take off and landing minima.

An airport's lighting system will normally be based on ICAO PAN OPS standards or the National Aviation Authorities (CAA) minimum requirements for the level required for that particular aerodrome's runway length, the approach aids and category it has available. The configuration of the lighting will meet the requirements for that- so there is a 'must' in that there is a minimum required level of lighting before an aerodrome will get an operating license. If you want guidance on this for the UK consult CAP168.

I hope that helps.

Spitoon
17th Mar 2009, 19:52
You might try ICAO Annex 14 for a more universal answer. This sets out the requirements that must be met by an aerodrome in order for it to be certified. It is recognised that bits do fail from time to time and as no sig describes, failures should be NOTAMed.

What restrictions this places on the pilot is determined by the relevant aircraft operating requirements.