PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Back Problems?

qualitycontrol
17th Mar 2009, 13:07
Hello,

Been flying the bus now for 6 years, seeing a chiropractor off and on for about 18 months for lower to mid back pain - reckon the pain is being caused by being a lazy bugger and slouching in the seat during longer flights. Fully aware I should correct my posture etc but looking for a bit of help!

Wondered if anyone knows of a decent lower back support that is easy enough to transport and fits reasonably well onto the seats of the A320 family? Based in the UK so US websites might not be the easiest to order from.

Cheers for now.

rsuggitt
17th Mar 2009, 17:41
Maybe take a look at these...

Lumbar Rolls, Lumbar Roll (http://physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Lumbar_Rolls___D_Rolls_Support_Cushions.html)

Loose rivets
18th Mar 2009, 03:05
You really need to get this diagnosed properly. I personally wouldn't have any more totally blind attempts to ameliorate the symptoms - by being pulled around - until you know more.

There may be very little wrong, but you need to know just what is going on. With an important career at stake, I would insist upon, or pay for an MRI and a consultant's opinion.

Age is a big factor. Care to share that?

I've talked a lot about traction in the past, but sometimes, all the back wants is to rest - with the proviso that nothing is nibbling away at a nerve. By this I mean the strand-like structure of a herniated disc touching the spinal cord. It only takes a teasing of the outer (of three) sheaths to be irritated, to cause some muscles to go into spasm. This loads the joints even more...the disc then (perhaps) bulges more, and the whole thing winds up into miserable pain. All this from a very minor problem.

The problem is, the Intervertebral disc pressures are greatest when sitting, and endless leaning forward to tweak the things pilots have to tweak is an endless source of irritation. Certainly, if you can find a lumbar support that makes the whole thing feel at rest, then you're well on the way to a successful outcome.

doubledolphins
23rd Mar 2009, 17:34
Look, I know this won't help a bit but it's true. 6 years or so ago I had a terrible pain in my back and could not fly for a week or so. I was in agony and had a bit of physiotherapy. When the pain was under control, by use of various exercises, I went back to work. flying A320s. The moment I slouched into the seat all the pain went away. Now, if ever I get a twinge, I can make it go away my self. My posture is as terrible as it ever was but I lead a far more active life. Now I am on boeings again I miss the bus seat but so far so good.

gingernut
23rd Mar 2009, 19:29
Anything to support the lumber lordosis will help, rolled up towel, jumper, pay packet etc :)