PDA

View Full Version : Sydney baggage handling

Number34
17th Mar 2009, 07:24
G'day,

Is there a chance that anyone could tell me who does the baggage handling for the likes of Qantas and VB at Sydney airport? If it's contracted out or done internally. I'm looking for employment with them and any help would be great.

Thanks.

aex
18th Mar 2009, 10:46
When I flew to Sydney last year I saw Qantas ramp equipment. Regarding Virgin Blue, they use Liberty Air Services (a joint venture with Patrick Air Services).

AircraftOperations
18th Mar 2009, 16:30
Ahh.....VB. Always nice to spend a warm evening with a few cold VBs when you are in Oz.

Joe Howell
22nd Mar 2009, 12:57
qantas handle them selves, among others, i know they handle MH. I know menzies are quite active at SYD, and toll DNATA have a few, EK, SQ. Sorry cant be of more help mate

ziggyboy
23rd Mar 2009, 07:39
Qantas employs their own baggage handlers.

Bay31
23rd Mar 2009, 09:58
Qantas at SYD International and domestic have their own Ramp Services. This comprises of Ramp, Baggage, Cabin Services, Push back and Toilet and Water. They also handle numerous other international client airlines. Over the last 3 years all sections have been comlpetely under staffed until an influx off part-time (perm) staff not so long ago. Ther are still serve shortages on the Ramp which in turn has been effecting operations and also, as you would gather, moral. The new employees are given a 6 month contact to start with, not like the 'old days', and over 15 off these new guys have already pulled the plug due to a number of issues. They are under a 25 hour week and the likely hood of overtime has diminshed, as it has done for the full timers alas due to ....you guessed it, part timers! Anyway Qantas is only partically involved in the interviewing process now as an outside company veto the guys. Gone are the days when I used to do interviews. All I can do is recommenend to write to the HR people at Qantas. Also must have a licence covering the old Class 3 and have a squeeky clean Police record. We have had enough iffy guys through here. Good luck.