PDA

View Full Version : Fly By Nighters

feenix
17th Mar 2009, 07:14
Am I the only one disgusted with operators who come and go but while around undercut the imcumbents by stacking up debt then going insolvent and writing it off leaving the survivors to pay back debts they incurred to keep competitive. I know competition is good and have no problem with it but these guys undercut by not paying accounts,wages and fuel etc. then go insolvent only to start trading as another entity to do it all over again without being concerned by their previous errors. This has happened quite a few times lately and CASA and other government bodies allow it. While I'm having my whinge how can CASA allow operators who are obviously based here but register overseas so they can ignore the local rules and compete unfairly with operators who unlike them are audited regularly and made to jump through expensive hoops by CASA while they do what they want while mostly ignored by CASA.

Under Dog
17th Mar 2009, 08:02
Yep you can rip off the public and share holders all you like but don't dare rip off the tax office.

The Dog

Rudder
17th Mar 2009, 22:15
Absolutely,

You have one flag of convenience operator based in Australia that was on the Sierra Leone register and AOC. Not one other major regulator in the world would permit a Sierra Leone aircraft even in their airspace. Yet they were here. When that is finally closed out what do they do, go and get an AOC in the Philipines. Not Australia! There could be of course two reasons for that.

1. The AOC and registering of the aircraft in the Philipines could be done "easily" ( read into that what you want)

2. They were not capable of getting one in Australia and had to go elsewhere.

Probably a combination of the two.

Of course Ozjet were taken over to try and fix this but to date no success in extending the AOC to the 727's. In fact they have been out and about trying to get other operators to place the Australian Registered aircraft on an AOC or continue to operate them (NJE)

While I don't place Strategic in the same basket. It is clearly an Australian Based operation also not subject to Australian Regs and should be.