PDA

View Full Version : FAR 142 type rating

ppppilot
16th Mar 2009, 22:09
Anybody knows who may give you a type rating in a training center certificated FAR part 142? May be an evaluator, must be a check airman, or an FAA examiner?
Thanks

Rook1
17th Mar 2009, 00:07
All of the above usually applies. At the training center I used to teach at, they have designated examiners on every fleet type. I hardly ever saw the FAA in person but the one time I did, he renewed my soon to expire CFI cert. on the spot.

My Citation excel type-rating was given to me by a part-time employee who was a full-time Northwest Airlines Pilot.

MarkerInbound
17th Mar 2009, 00:58
I'd rule out the Check Airman. In the US, that is normally term for a company pilot who does company checkrides. You've basically got FAA Inspectors (who are government employees) and Designated Examiners (who aren't) but who are granted the authority to issue ratings. So while an Air Carrier Designee will be a Check Airman, a Check Airman doesn't have to be a Designee. I've held Check Airman letters but I'm not a Designee.

Most 142 centers will have a Designee/TRE on staff or who they work with. I've sat in on one 142 type rating oral as an instructor watching a Fed watch the Designee. That was a fun room.

guiones
17th Mar 2009, 03:50
The correct term by the FAA is TCE, Training Center Evaluator. The TCE needs to be type rated, but no time on the A/C is required.

Your type rating can be done by the TCE or the FAA, your choice!

G

ppppilot
17th Mar 2009, 14:37
Thank you very much gentlemen.
From your words, I understand that an training center evaluator (TCE) may certify your FAA type rating without restrictions. A TCE may be a ZFTT rated pilot designated by the TC.
I have been reading FAR part 142 and it doesn't say anything but an evaluator must be aproved by the FAA. Any of you know where can I find the requirements to be elegible TCE?
Thanks again

MarkerInbound
17th Mar 2009, 17:01
More than you could possibly care to know -

FSIMS Document Viewer (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=7670BCAA7A33E155862573D0006CB2E1)

ppppilot
18th Mar 2009, 22:40
Great. Thanks MarkerInbound