PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck seat rail lubrication.

tubby linton
16th Mar 2009, 21:18
How often, if ever, do flight deck seat rails get lubricated?I am not an engineer,and my old airbus currently has a prohibition on the use of the electric motor to move the seat.Trying to move the seat manually is causing myself and my colleagues many problems.

TURIN
16th Mar 2009, 23:11
Stick it in the log and see what happens. :ok:

IFIX
17th Mar 2009, 00:11
The rails are never lubricated.
The seats move along the rail on rollers.
If one of these seizes it could well be the motor c/b pops due to the excessive load.
Sounds like your ground crew needs a new roller to stick under your seat.

Any lubrication on the rails will only cause dirt to stick to the rail which will wear it out prematurely.

tubby linton
17th Mar 2009, 15:08
Thank you all for your replies.Due to a one time occurence of a defect the entire worldwide fleet of this aircraft type has had the motor operation modified to preclude its use to move the seat horizontally.The problem is compounded in that the seat moves outboard at the end of its travel. It is trying to move it manually sideways and then forwards that is causing the problem.Next time I fly I will put it in the log.

HP115
17th Mar 2009, 15:23
Which "old Airbus" are we on about?

NutLoose
17th Mar 2009, 19:04
Damn, I hope he doesn't put in the log that we told him to... :}

They will probably clear it with "Pilot informed to buy some platform shoes" :ok:

tubby linton
17th Mar 2009, 21:05
Why are the rails of the DV windows greased then?
Can anybody recommend a good osteopath?

Fargoo
17th Mar 2009, 22:27

The DV window rails are lubed as part of the MPD as recommended by the manufacturer. The seat rails aren't as the manufacturer doesn't call for it, i'm sure they have their reasons.
If the seat is too stiff then it needs overhauling , if you wait the electric controls should be re-instated soon once the seat has been inspected/replaced.
We work loads of the small bus and our seats have the same potential runaway problem, they will be back in service eventually. :ok:

techsmechs
19th Mar 2009, 08:01
The DV window rails should only be lubed with molycote or something similar (trust me, never use silicone grease) and electric seats can be put in the ADD's as long as it it is only the electrical side of the seat that is u/s. As long as the drivers can manually move it back in an emergency it's ok even if it is a little stiff.

TURIN
20th Mar 2009, 20:28

Pilots do not drop their cheese and biscuits on the DV window rails. :}

Waste of money.

Pilates for pilots (& Engineers). :ok:

tubby linton
20th Mar 2009, 21:12
As long as the drivers can manually move it back in an emergency it's ok even if it is a little stiff.I watched a cabin crew member do a pilot incap for her line check the other day.She could barely move the seat and that was the one she could get behind not the other seat with the nav kit,manuals and hobnobs behind it.The seat moves ok fore and aft it is the lateral motion at the end of its travel that is really difficult and you need it fully outboard to get out of it unless you are prepared to stand on the radios.

ampclamp
20th Mar 2009, 21:20
Tubby if its that bad its a safety issue and needs looking at.From your own OH&S perspective and aircraft safety also.

HAWK21M
29th Mar 2009, 07:45
Out here Every 1500hrs on a B737 or if reported by a PDR.
regds
MEL.

Jetset41
31st Mar 2009, 21:13
Is this a pilot saying he doesn't know more than us?:=: