PDA

View Full Version : Mile-high club plane hijacked to Cuba, crashes!

Cyclic Hotline
10th Aug 2001, 09:14
Small Plane Crashes in Florida Straits
By TERRY SPENCER, Associated Press Writer

MIAMI (AP) - A plane belonging to a company that specializes in "mile-high sex'' crashed Thursday into the Florida Straits after a couple tried to hijack it to Cuba, the pilot told FBI investigators.

Pilot Thomas P. Hayashi survived, but Coast Guard officials believe the couple sank with the plane in 3,600 feet of water 40 miles south of Key West.

FBI spokeswoman Judy Orihuela said Hayashi told agents that a Cuban man and woman in their 60s chartered a single-engine Piper Cherokee belonging to Fly Key West, which takes couples on flights where they can have sex. She would not say if the couple told Hayashi why they wanted to rent the plane.

Hayashi told agents that after the plane took off, the couple demanded that he fly to Cuba, Orihuela said. Hayashi told agents he fought with the man, who fell into the plane's throttle, causing the crash, she said.

"We are looking into all of this,'' Orihuela said. She said agents only had first names for the couple, and she would not release them.

Phone messages left at Hayashi's home and at Fly Key West were not returned Thursday. The company's Web site lists prices and descriptions of "Mile High Club'' flights.

Coast Guard spokesman Luis Diaz said Hayashi issued a distress radio call at 12:15 p.m., saying he was ditching into the ocean. A Coast Guard plane located him and dropped a life raft, which he boarded, Diaz said.

A Navy helicopter crew pulled Hayashi from the raft, Diaz said. He was treated for minor injuries.

A Coast Guard cutter and helicopter searched the crash area for about five hours, but found nothing. Diaz said the couple is presumed dead; no recovery effort is planned.

411A
10th Aug 2001, 09:42
These "mile high club" flights were very popular in Los Angeles in the late sixties. Recall an Onmark modified exec Douglas A-26 flew from VNY every week with three couples per flight. At 200 gallons per hour, it must have been rather expensive, buy hey, anything for a good time.

rhythm method
10th Aug 2001, 13:53
What line did he use when trying to perform his hijack?....

"THIS IS A STICK-UP??????"
:D

Kermit 180
10th Aug 2001, 13:56
Wasn't that solo student/pizza delivery driver making another attempt to get into Cuba was it?

Freeze or I'll shoot.

Kermie :D

Bright-Ling
10th Aug 2001, 14:04
How do you trim a Pa28 with all that jumping around!!?

Anyway - not much room in a PA28. very impressive!

Off to the flying club.................!!

Drop and Stop
10th Aug 2001, 15:15
I think it was more of a case of poling the wrong stick. :confused:

Tinstaafl
10th Aug 2001, 16:49
Bright-Ling, it could have been a Cherokee 6.

Plenty of room in one of those.

The Nr Fairy
10th Aug 2001, 19:18
But nobody's mentioned WHICH weapon exactly was used . . .

PaperTiger
11th Aug 2001, 09:34
Cherokee 6 it was apparently.
Converted from 6 seats to 2 + bed !
Article at wwwDOTdailyrottenDOTcom which because it contains a (mild) photo of a previous 'induction', I haven't linked to directly.

Drop and Stop
11th Aug 2001, 12:11
Passenger: "This is a stick up!"
Pilot: "Yes, that’s very impressive.."

TowerDog
11th Aug 2001, 19:41
Hmm, I thought Cubans tried to escape Cuba, not the other way around.

The pilot should have kicked the guy out of the Cherokee 6 and finished the Mile High business with the woman.

mwashi
12th Aug 2001, 22:23
Towerdog,
What a great brain you have. Only you can think of taking advantage of a poor old lady (in her 60s) after kicking her crazy old husband out of the aircraft.
Besides, who would be flying while accomplishing your mile high business deal?

No wonder you had over 11,000 TT before your airline job. You must have a blast doing sort of things ;)

TowerDog
13th Aug 2001, 14:18
Mwashi:

If the woman was in her 60s, you can have her.

Who would be flying the airplane?
Don't you know what a true Mile High member must do: Fly and F@ck at the same time.

Don't know where your info on my flight time comes from, but I have flown for airlines for many years and did not start with 11000
hours.
(You been smoking crack?)

aidybennett
13th Aug 2001, 15:46
I put a post up a few weeks ago asking for advice about setting up a mile high club airline. I have access to a cherokee six. Just not sure I want to bother setting up an AOC. (And I wonder what the CAA would say about that particular idea anyway-probably deem it 'potentionally too distracting for the pilot' or something.) I did think that it would be one job free from air-rage and such like. Obviously wrong. Wonder if they completed the act before commencing the hich-jack? :)

aviator
15th Aug 2001, 19:50
It seems that Pilot Thomas Hayashi may have been all by himself on this illfated flight:

*** Sex-plane couple remains mystery

Miami Herald -- Three days after a sex-in-the-sky charter plane out of Key West ditched in the ocean during an alleged hijacking the Hispanic couple presumed dead in the incident after they reportedly tried to force the pilot to Cuba remained unidentifiedSunday.
No relatives have come forward. No missing person reports have been filed on the man and woman. And a potential witness who saw two people matching the description of the couple at the Key West International Airport did not pan out, FBI spokeswoman Judy
Orihuela said, because he saw them again -- after the crash.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/news/local/dade/digdocs/070296.htm

[ 15 August 2001: Message edited by: aviator ]

captain spanky spangler
17th Aug 2001, 06:04
Suckko- I hate hijackers
Enjoy their water grave!
Good to see the driver got out OK

kuzzin
18th Aug 2001, 18:50
Kan u Cherokie sex get up to one mile high?
wow! :eek: