PDA

View Full Version : Best type rating for first job for ex-mil pilot?

sarboy w****r
16th Mar 2009, 17:11
Hi All,

Please would you mind giving your thoughts/opinions on the type rating most likely to lead to full time employment, pref on-shore in the UK? (ex-mil: ~2000 hrs, 1700 twin turbine, SAR & CH47 experience).

I'm inclined towards something like a twin Squirrel, but would be interested in your thoughts. I'm most interested in doing corporate/HEMS work if possible.

Also, as IRs are type specific, do most employers expect you to have one in advance, or will they consider providing one? Obviously in an ideal world you'd have an IR on the aircraft in their fleet before you start with them, but that can't always be the case?

Many thanks,

SBW

paco
16th Mar 2009, 18:28
109, then 355 if you're short of cash. That's based on the availability of machines and TRTOs, and their popularity. Of course if you have a specific job in mind that uses something different, think again!

If I'm not mistaken the IR is not type specific any more.

Phil

Bladecrack
16th Mar 2009, 19:21
If I'm not mistaken the IR is not type specific any more.

Paco,

Can you elaborate?

BC

DOUBLE BOGEY
16th Mar 2009, 19:29
Hi Mr Bladecrack,

Apologies, I have just been reading a thread on JETBLAST about how we came to give ourselves the PPRUNE handles (names) and where the idea came from.

Nothin to do with this thread...but with a handle like "BLADECRACK"....my imagination began to work overtime.

Don't tell me its something boring like a "Cracked Rotor Blade".

If you are female...my profound apologies in advance!!!!!

DB

VeeAny
16th Mar 2009, 19:54
Phil

I was told 3yrs ago that the IR would soon be non type specific, has that been implemented now ?

GS

bigglesbutler
16th Mar 2009, 20:56
The IR is non specific isnt it, but having said that each OPC/LPC I do has an element of IR, half of it really. So whilst you can get the rating (wirtten exams included), the hardest part is done, you then need to do the IR flying (practical only) on each aircraft to prove you can do so.

If you're after work it might be better to talk to some companies and see what they want. You never know, they might go halves with you for the rating.

Si

VeeAny
16th Mar 2009, 21:04
I'll clear up what I mean by IR not being type specific, you pass the test or renewal on one type and it counts for all. So you can exercise its privileges on any type you fly which is instrument capable and that you have a valid type rating on, but not necessarily an instrument LPC or OPC.

I was told this was coming by a CAA man 3 years ago.

GS

Helinut
16th Mar 2009, 21:18
Vee Any,

I also heard it was coming, but I don't think it is here yet, just because I have not seen an announcement (I hope I am wrong)

I would imagine that such a change would need to be indicated in LASORS or in some other CAA publication. Indeed, these days it probably would be done via EASA/JAA or whatever

sarboy w****r
17th Mar 2009, 10:24
Thanks very much for the advice. We'll have to see how far the budget will stretch for the 109...

With regards both the 109 and 355, I'd be grateful if people could recommend schools to either speak to (or avoid).

I've heard good things about Helicopter Services at Wycombe Air Park from a friend, but would be interested in whether anyone else has had experience with them or others.

Thanks,

SBW

TeeS
17th Mar 2009, 10:57
Hi Sarboy

If you can spare the time, I would suggest it is well worthwhile spending a couple of days visiting the schools that you are considering. Have a look at the facilities, simulators/procedure trainers etc. talk to the students and get a feel for the atmosphere of the place.

If you are able to do a short course (i.e. QSP or fixed wing to helicopter conversion) then the minimum course is very tight on time. For this reason don't bank on completion in the minimum hours and try to pick a school that can provide the smoothest transition from sim to aircraft (i.e. make sure that the sim/procedure trainer accurately represents the helicopter).

I believe most schools have a fairly lengthy waiting list for courses at present, if they don't then ask yourself why that might be!

Best of Luck

TeeS

paco
17th Mar 2009, 12:22
The IR non-specificity is coming but not quite implemented yet.

phil

AAKEE
17th Mar 2009, 13:27
Hi !

I´m in about the same situation. Military pilot 2300hrs/2000ME, AS332. Im just about to get civil certificates.
I have a lot of ex colleges that left the AF, and all got the type rating without any problems from the operators. Some (about 50%?) even got the civil IR-rating in the same time.

I think hte type rating is 'unimportant', at least in Sweden. The operator wants you to have CPL+IR (in soem cases ATPL-theory) or something like that.

I guess that, for one example CHC Norway(were I think I´d like to work) dont make it a big plus that I already fly the AS332. I guess they 'put me in school' anyway.

My plan is to do the PPL,CPL and IR on the cheapest heli available(but probably not a R22 or so)...think I go for the B206/B206L (I flew it before).

By the way, we have to do all the theory + theoretical tests, and some training + all skill tests in Sweden.