PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access directories even though I'm administrator

vancouv
16th Mar 2009, 09:32
I have one account that is an administrator on my Vista machine. When I try to open what appears to be a shortcut to a directory (there are a number of these) it tells me 'Access is denied'. If I look at properties it doesn't show where the shortcut is pointing to.

Why can't I look at these? I thought if I was an adminstrator I could do anything!!

Saab Dastard
16th Mar 2009, 13:54
Is it possible that the link is no longer valid? The folder may have been deleted or moved, so that the link no longer points to a valid location. I'm not sure that "Access Denied" would be the appropriate error message, though.

SD

Jofm5
16th Mar 2009, 14:01
Why can't I look at these? I thought if I was an adminstrator I could do anything!!

Being an administrator does give you the right to do just about anything but Windows will always respect its file system security.

Therefore if a user has created a directory and has removed the administrators group from being able to access that directory then it will remain private to that user.

However as an administrator although you cannot access the directory in question you can add yourself back to the security list to regain access to that directory.

vancouv
17th Mar 2009, 12:41
SD - I tried creating a new shortcut and if you delete the target you do get a more meaningful message.

While doing this, though, I noticed that the ones I'm having a problem with are slightly different - the icon is the same, but it seems like it's dimmed out, just like a menu item which is greyed out and therefore not selectable. These are all under Users and my account name, and are things like Local Settings, Recent, Start Menu, so are obviously system related.

Looking at the security settings, there is one for Everyone that allows list only, but there is also one for administrators and for my account that gives full control - so I don't why I can't even open the shortcut.

As is often the case, there must be something going on that I don't understand..........

Keygrip
17th Mar 2009, 13:50
"Lol".

As is often the case, there must be something going on that I don't understand..........

Welcome to my world - and I don't just mean compyooters.:confused:

green granite
17th Mar 2009, 14:06
Try opening windows explorer and going to the folders you cant open and see if you can from there, The reason the Icons are greyed out is that they are hidden files.

AndoniP
17th Mar 2009, 15:54
not sure whether this applies to vista but you may have to make yourself an owner of the folder?

we get that on our filesystem sometimes, once you make yourself an owner of the folder you should be able to see the contents and change permissions on them.

just a thought

green granite
18th Mar 2009, 08:04
Went to go into 'application data' last night (windows 7) and it wont let me in either. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Tim_CPL
18th Mar 2009, 20:46
You need to google for a new type of Icon called a "Junction" in Vista parlance. They are a right PIA, and I've never seen the point in them, but that sounds like your problem....
Permission denied to access folders (http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Permission-denied-access-folders--ftopict40435.html)