PDA

View Full Version : Night Shift Sparks Cancer Pay-Out

Just wondering
16th Mar 2009, 08:58
Night Shifts Spark Cancer Pay-Out (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7945145.stm)

Where would this leave Air Travel ?? Interesting one !

llondel
16th Mar 2009, 09:58
Based on the reports, it would mean that any woman with a family history of breast cancer would be flying long-haul at her own risk - they appear to have excluded that category from compensation. For the rest, it all depends on how much of an increase there is - if it's gone from one in 20,000 to one in 10,000 then the risk is doubled but you're still more likely to get killed in a traffic accident on the way to the airport.

We all take risks to do things we enjoy - playing football or rugby can be fatal, but that doesn't stop people, so it's up to the individual.

captplaystation
16th Mar 2009, 10:04
An ex partner was working shifts albeit on the ground. Another very obvious problem was the disproportianate number of miscarriages suffered by her young , otherwise perfectly healthy , colleagues who continued to work during the early months of their pregnancy.

Pace
16th Mar 2009, 12:38
I wonder how many of these so called discoveries are more motivated by the Lawyers than a basis in fact.

People working extensive hours are going to be subject to stress probably poor lifestyle diet etc.

People who regulary work nights will soon adjust to that time scale. In some countries there is dark or daylight around the clock.

My guess is that this has more to do with stress, excessive workload and lifestyle making people more prone to developing illnesses including cancers.

They are probably motivated by the Lawyers who stand to make a lot of money targetting organisations who can pay and who iemploy scientists to create the answers and arguements they want.

Pace

White Otter
16th Mar 2009, 14:51
Lawyers probably do come into it but there is also quite probably some base in fact; I read an article last year (possibly in New Scientist) talking about why there were more cases of cancer in the west than the developing world. The main idea was that it was lack of sunlight causing vitimin C deficiencies leading to cancer. BTW in order to get the vitimin C you need direct contact with the suns rays - not through glass which will absorb the UV rays.

Pace
16th Mar 2009, 18:07
White Otter

I take your point on sunlight not only being good for the body but also the soul.

Having said that the medical world tells you to avoid direct sunlight like the plague for fear of contracting cancer. Now some say its good for you. Use suncreams then they discover that they dont work.

Chocolate is good for the heart, then the latest is a proposed tax on chocolate to reduce deaths from obesity.

Scientists can create statistics to argue the case for anything. I am sure the benefits of smoking could be argued for. the oldest lady in the world smoked until she was 106 :)

Maybe light and warmth encourages people to be out doors more and to be more active which in turn encourages both pyhsical and mental health.

But rather than say I have lead a **** lifestyle for years burning the candle at both ends and i am now paying for it which gets you nothing financially. It is easier to get a Lawyer to argue a compensation case for you.

They will say that infact its the result of some new fangled illness created by your job and hence not your fault but someone elses. ie pay me millions in compensation in our blame someone else society.

Pace

hellsbrink
16th Mar 2009, 19:34
Hmmmm

Always thought Vitamin D was produced by sunlight because Vit C is in so many other things from fruit to spuds. Guess ya learn something new every day

Ten West
16th Mar 2009, 19:47
I wonder how many of these so called discoveries are more motivated by the Lawyers than a basis in fact.

I wondered that too.

Especially now that compensation is actually being paid over an issue that only MAY increase the likelihood of cancers. Not even any evidence yet and they're already handing over the compo. :rolleyes:

I work regular night shifts, and the only increased risk of cancer I can think of would be due to the extra Marlboro breaks taken whilst trying to kill the boredom during the quiet times before the first rotation.

All these people bleating on about lack of sunlight, ergo lack of Vitamin D etc... Don't you have days off? What do they do, keep you in a box and bring you out for your shift? Spend more of your free time outdoors!

Valda
24th Mar 2009, 08:53
I edit HAVING FUN AFTER CANCER! — Verite Reily Collins writes about Cancer Side Effects (http://www.after-cancer.com) giving info about coping with cancer and side effects, and have been following studies of cabin crew / cancer risk since I wrote 'Working in Aviation'. Lufthansa and SAS were carrying out big studies then into problem.

A lot more needs to be done, but would like to hear from airline crew who might be suspicious - one of my best cabin crew friends died last year from mouth cancer. So makes you wonder.

As another posting said, we are more likely to die from silly accidents - in home, etc. but it would be useful to know more.