PDA

View Full Version : Career Path as a Maintenance Engineer

amcl1986
16th Mar 2009, 01:15
Hello all,

I am finishing my degree in Aeronautical Engineering this year and was hoping to gain qualifications to work as an engineer at an aircraft maintenance firm.

My question is, what licences must i take? B1, B2, Part 66??
Do i have to undergo the same training as a Maintenance Technician???
I find it all very confusing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

Miles Gustaph
20th Mar 2009, 12:27
The CAA website under ELGM details what you need to know, or in your case, what you need to do.

To get any exemptions you would need to submit your course syllabus to the CAA for them to establish what you do, or do not need to do to get a license.

Without wanting to appear rude, why would you want to become a LAE with an engineering degree? Apart from anything else it's not a career that's going to get your student loan paid for very quickly.

Miles

Rigga
21st Mar 2009, 22:07
Alan,
Try the IAA website - I know its not a large website but it should have Maintenance Licence requirements somewhere on it, and be relevant to citizens of Eire.

You should be looking at EASA Part 66 CAT C Licence requirements.

Mike_s
23rd Mar 2009, 20:35
Apprenticeships are the way!!

alnic
26th Mar 2009, 00:57
Have to agree with Miles here........Why on earth would you want to get down and get grubby for peanuts?

simonchowder
26th Mar 2009, 12:53
Licensed engineers may earn peanuts in NZ, but the ones we employ sadly dont!

alnic
26th Mar 2009, 22:58
Gizza Job!!!!

simonchowder
26th Mar 2009, 23:19
Gladly, if you hold a EASA 66 engineers B1 or B2 ticket and type ratings on any of the following b757/767/777/737/747 a320/321/330/300/340 pm me

alnic
27th Mar 2009, 01:13
Regretfully, don't do plank trash, just big choppers!?:rolleyes:! actually little ones too!:)

Rigga
27th Mar 2009, 17:09
I have 737 and worked 757/767 & 320/321 but I dont need a job at the mo!

...pity.

simonchowder
27th Mar 2009, 19:04
Thats a pity alnic ,guess you will just have to get used to the taste of peanuts then;)

Dani86
1st Apr 2009, 11:00
Hi amcl1986,

your best bet is to apply as a fitter, maybe some airline may put you through your modules to become b1 or b2, if not you can do the modules off your own back while gettin and recording your experience. Your in the same boat as me really, apprenticeships are the way forward tho.
B1 is mechanical and B2 is avionics depends which trade you prefer.

Good luck anyway

JJRMAD
19th Apr 2009, 13:28
Hi engineers,

I'm currently in the same situation as amcl86 dn Dani86 (actually I was also born in 86!) and I'm currently as apprentice in a subcontrated firm by Iberia Maintenance in the power plant department,.I applied for this because I always liked the world of airliners but I don't know if line maintenance or maintenance engineering is the better way to develope a career with an aero engineering degree. I could understand in some posts that is not a good way because people work harder and the wages are less than in any other engineering field; it's a pity if this it's true because I love airliners even I could feel very good in other field if I decided to change to work in other fields . So I want to ask opinions about maintenance and actually how is it the employment situation? Does people often feel glad after some years dedicated to this kind of job?

Thanks!! English is not my mother tongue as you can appreciate :O

Genghis the Engineer
20th Apr 2009, 11:08
Maintenance engineering = high quality assessed practical training / apprenticeship / "trade" qualifications, moderate academic training.

Design / analysis type engineering = degree level engineering qualification, low to moderate and probably unassessed practical training.

The two are very very different, only combined by the use of the word "engineering" which both fields feel they own.

With an aero-eng degree, you are qualified to pursue many fascinating jobs, such as aircraft design, aeronautical research, technical support, project management. But not maintenance.

An engineering graduate who wants to pursue a maintenance career should find the academic bits fairly easy, but is starting from scratch with everything else and the point of having spent 3-5 years on your degree becomes rather questionable.

They just aren't the same job, what they have in common is lots of years of education and training, being around aeroplanes, and the word "engineer" - the rest is pretty different.
G

MartinCh
30th Apr 2009, 12:09
Would a heli maintenance company take on fresh grad from part 66 training which is obviously aimed at B1.1? Does it make sense to do the B1.1 -> B1.3 modules at AST in Perth before any conditional job offer?