PDA

View Full Version : Sosoliso and Nigerian Visa

needajobgirl
15th Mar 2009, 23:52
I have read the previous posts about the sosoliso scams and wonder if it is happening again or this is legit. After a brief phone conversation that was not understandable I was sent an interview via email. The interview was very similar to the one I took to get hired at a major here in the US.
I was offered a 2 year contract with them that starts with me obtaining visas for Nigeria.
I was told to start the process I would have to send the following amounts,

The Federal Ministries of Aviation processing fee is $247.

- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority is membership affiliation levy $219.

- Directorates of Safety Regulation and Monitoring (DSRAM) and Airservices & Airport safety Clearance form $326. This will allow you work and perform your duties as a pilot within the country.

CitationUltra
16th Mar 2009, 01:40
I received the same solicitation and litany of encouragement to sign on. It's definitely a scam.

Revnetwork
16th Mar 2009, 10:29
It's a scam. The airline should be paying any fees required to the NCAA directly.

skygod
16th Mar 2009, 11:32
Its a scam, dont even bother. The airline sosoliso doesnt exist any longer in NIgeria. DC9 crashed in PHC in 2005 i think on landing. Aircraft was not Insured, lots of kids on Board.

Good luck

jetjackel
16th Mar 2009, 12:59
Just went through the process for another Nigerian airline. Procedure is the same for entering Nigeria for any airline based here.

Should be no more than contacting a Visa Agency that the airline has designated, and sending your passport, FedEx, to them. Return FedEx from the visa agency gives you your passport back with the visa inside. Need a full page to fit the visa. Assume you are in US so you would send it to visa agency in Washington DC. Simple "company" credit card covers the cost.

The agent will do the work and the company should have an account with the agency to cover the cost. Too simple and the various fees you mentioned I have never heard about.

Didn't even know "that airline" was sill operating and I'm sitting 2 miles from the Lagos airport.

Careful, land of scams.:cool:

TonyWilliams
16th Mar 2009, 14:02
The Federal Ministries of Aviation processing fee is $247.

- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority is membership affiliation levy $219.

- Directorates of Safety Regulation and Monitoring (DSRAM) and Airservices & Airport safety Clearance form $326.

Why no pilot license validation fee or air law exam fee? (both are something that you DO need in Nigeria). Obvious to anybody here that this is a typical scam. Or a work visa (you need that, too).

The validation is done by email, directly from your government's CAA/FAA to the Nigerian CAA. No charge. Medical fees, work visa, etc should be paid directly from your employer to the relevant people.

Just remember that any time somebody in Nigeria asks for money, it's probably a scam. The hotel I'm at regularly has high profile cars parked here, with the import shipment tag still on the window. One Hummer still had it's California license plate on it (which was covered up the next day). I predict all stolen property, probably shipped from Mexico.

You can't safely use a credit or ATM card without the very real risk of charges showing up that you don't recognize.

NIJASEA
16th Mar 2009, 17:01
it is definately a scam. No Airline worth it's salt would ask you to pay processing fees.
Tonywilliams thanks for the unsolicitated info on the cars in lagos, I was thinking of shipping my car with the foreign number on it back to lagos but I guess close minded individuals might think I stole it.

TonyWilliams
16th Mar 2009, 17:32
Tonywilliams thanks for the unsolicitated info on the cars in lagos, I was thinking of shipping my car with the foreign number on it back to lagos but I guess close minded individuals might think I stole it.

No, I wouldn't think you stole it. If it had California plates (or Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas plates) on it, I'd assume it was stolen by the corrupt Mexican police forces. Every two-bit police chief in Mexico is driving around in such a vehicle, while they get paid off by the drug mafia to overlook the thousands of murders and drug trafficking happening there.

Without a big market in Mexico to then sell the Surburbans, Escalades, Hummers, Mercedes, and other high profile stolen property, it has to go somewhere. I wonder where?

The internet is ripe with Nigerian scams, this very thread highlights another Nigerian scam. The government has allocated gazillions of dollars for roads that are the worst in the world. Wonder where that money went? I believe there is a thread in Pprune of Arik pilots arrested in another country for having fraudulent documents (that were purchased here in Nigeria). Just driving to the beach last week resulted in 4 impromptu road blocks to extort money. Oyibos are taken hostage regularly for ransom.

Sure, nobody in this country would accept stolen property, right? I must be closed minded.

Mr. Smith
16th Mar 2009, 23:58
@ needajob, it's more than likely a scam.

lol @ Tonywilliams.

You must be as corrupt as the people you work for. No self respecting, holier-than-thou would ever work in corrupt Nigeria. With all the info on how corrupt and dangerous Nigeria is, only a crook would ever feel comfortable enough to work there.

TonyWilliams
17th Mar 2009, 00:26
You must be as corrupt as the people you work for. No self respecting, holier-than-thou would ever work in corrupt Nigeria. With all the info on how corrupt and dangerous Nigeria is, only a crook would ever feel comfortable enough to work there.

Yes, I must be corrupt by writing about the corruption here? Ok, if you say so Sherlock. Also, excellent slight on all the folks who work here, that they must all be crooks. You are a true genius.

Corruption, crime, fraud, extortion, kidnapping, and a long list of other stuff is rampant here. Just a fact; I'm the messenger, not the purpertrator. Is this person who wrote this article also a criminal based on your obtuse thought processes?

Ese Awhotu
Abuja, Nigeria
February 19th, 2009

"It sounds pretty surprising but not unexpected that the city of Port Harcourt, (Nigeria) a once very glamorous city, has been ranked among the three most dangerous cities in the world.

The human resources unit of New York-based Marsh & McLennan Cos. has ranked Port Harcourt with Baghdad, Yemen's capital of Sana'a and Khartoum in Sudan, as the world's most dangerous cities.

Going by the ranking published by Bloomberg, Port Harcourt ranks with Baghdad as one of the world's most dangerous cities for foreign workers as criminal gangs and guerillas seeking greater control of energy revenue step up attacks.

Port Harcourt, a city of 1.6 million was once the home of nightclubs crowded night and day with well-paid petroleum workers. Now dotted with heavily armed checkpoints, Port Harcourt's transformation from a city that offered round-the- clock-fun to one offering round-the-clock fear. Security has deteriorated as the region moved from agitation to rebellion."

I must be dangerous too, since I pointed that out, too?

Here's a bit of good news, at least to my read:

LAGOS (Reuters) – A Nigerian undergraduate has been sentenced to 19 years in prison for obtaining $47,000 (33,382 pounds) from an Australian woman by convincing her over the Internet that he was 57 years old, white, and madly in love with her.

LongJohnThomas
17th Mar 2009, 09:14
needajobgirl,
You did the right thing by coming here to verify whether or not the email sent to you was genuine.
To keep it short, it's a scam as has been said severally before.
TonyWilliams,
I think Mr. Smith has a point there.:ok:
It amazes me how many of you sit pretty in Nigeria and just bash away at it?!!:mad:
If Nigeria and Nigerians annoy you so much, pack your bags and get th F**k out of there!!!:ugh:
A person comes on here to ask 1 question and you have gone on to give us all an illustrious biography of Nigeria and it's socio-economic problems!!:eek:
Nigerians are not in denial as to what takes place in the country or what the environment is like; for crying out loud, they live in it!!!!
Since you seem to know it all, maybe you should take up residence in ASO ROCK, ABUJA!!!
That way you can fix what you think is wrong in the country.
Nigeria is the country that currently feeds you and your family; and you sit in it and lash out like it has no uses?
If it was as useless as you convey, you should not be there unless there's something out there you must be enjoying we know nothing about??
Maybe the hookers on Isaac John in Ikeja, eh?:yuk:
It would be wise to return to your crime-less country:eek: and live in harmony, and leave Nigeria to the Nigerians!!!!
Whatever constitutes itself as a problem, should be rid of.

TonyWilliams
17th Mar 2009, 10:05
Stating the facts do not constitute "bashing". Your pompous declarations as to what I "should" be doing are just that.

For yourself and others who then "bash" those who point out these issues (reading other Nigerian threads have this common theme) remind me of the wife who is battered by the drunken husband. Many of those wives won't prosecute, stating what a "good guy" this drunken bum is. Of course, anybody else can readily and easily determine otherwise.

So you obviously have an emotional connection to this country (and feel compelled to lash out at those who don't, like me), let me say that this place does have A LOT of potential. The people at large at quite friendly. The beaches should have world class resorts on them. The weather isn't that different than Miami in the summer... there should be golf course everywhere. There's years of wealth left in the oil fields. Agriculture could and should feed all of Africa. With access to ocean and millions of people as consumers and producers, there could and should be world class ports.

As far as keeping this aviation related, there currently are no Nigerian carriers flying to the US. There are a long list of shortcomings as to why that has not been approved, but I will say that should that day come, it will be a very big accomplishment in the Nigerian aviation world in a very challenging place to do business.

TonyWilliams
17th Mar 2009, 10:08
Maybe the hookers on Isaac John in Ikeja, eh

They look pretty good to me. Thanks for the pointer.;)

LongJohnThomas
17th Mar 2009, 14:57
TonyWilliams,
Thank you for your repetitive over-view of Nigeria.
FYI, I don't see the Nigerians on here complaining about all the things you seem to be bothered about?
Like you have so clearly indicated, it might be better if you stuck with your buddies on Isaac John.:D
Things improve very slowly in that area and thats what you'll have to live with.
I wont go on and on but leave you with these words; A word is enough........... I am sure you can complete the sentence.
:ok:

NIJASEA
17th Mar 2009, 15:09
LJT you seem to give him more credit than I would in his ability to complete that sentence. Nigeria is a country with problems we are trying to find ways to sort ourselves out and get rid of the few individuals holding us back. We dont need the like of tonywilliams pointing out the obvious to us. If you cant stand the heat...(no point) get out of the kitchen.

wonderdog
17th Mar 2009, 21:16
LJT, why are you sticking it to TW in such a manner, perhaps you two have a previous history of disruptive dialogue that I don't know about, but did he say anything that was untrue about the place, I don't think so ?

At the very least he has gone a little further than others in helping put the original questioner in no doubt about her concerns, she needed help.

Nigeria needs help too but unfortunately mass extermination of criminals and 1000 years of development is a big ask and certainly a little more than can be achieved by this forum. Even with members with a member as big as yours .

The truth is the place is a toilet, those that know, know it, and those that don't or want to believe all good things like the original poster need help surely, because they ain't gonna get over over there, a country where the words "sympathy", "empathy" and "compassion" are absent from the dictionary and common parlance.

LongJohnThomas
18th Mar 2009, 08:04
wonderdog,
I cant say i completely understood your post or the English sentences you have attempted to construct.:ugh:
Anyway, thats the least of my problems. Like i told TonyWilliams, if you have solutions to Nigeria's socio-economic problems, feel free to take up residence in ABUJA!
Leave this forum for serious minded aviators wishing to move the industry forward.:D
I need not respond to your comments about Nigeria being a toilet:sad:, but i will say that your need to rinse your mouth out with some anti-bacterial/viral detergent though.

The Internet is an expansive network of information. If anyone needs to know the obvious about Nigeria? Hopefully, they would have enough sense to navigate it and find the appropriate chatter about it.

PPRuNe and its members thereof, are not interested in your views on the socio-economic status of any country, but based merely on AVIATION news and rumours so to speak.:rolleyes:
There is nothing TW, you or anyone else has said here that has not been said before; or at least, not already obvious to us all.
:}

NIJASEA
18th Mar 2009, 09:22
LJT
Hopefully we can get back to aviation.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wonderdog
18th Mar 2009, 16:42
....and to lighten the mood somewhat, a little Shakespeare..

"from fairest creatures we desire increase,
that thereby beauty's rose might never die,
and should the riper through his time decease,
his tender heir might bear his memory"

regards to all

wonderdog

NIJASEA
18th Mar 2009, 16:55
Nice Wonderdog, but the only shakespear i will appreciate is JULIET ;):ok: