PDA

View Full Version : Pre IOT visit conundrum

Future Officer
15th Mar 2009, 22:14
Hello, I have recently been on my pre IOT visit, and was issued my boots. We were shown how to lace the boots up and such. However when I got home I took the laces out when I polished them and forgot the correct method of lacing the boots up.

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to give me instructions on how to lace them up correctly according to the IOT way doing doing things?

I can remember them saying that the first ones go under then after that are over but I can't remember whether to bridge or criss cross them etc. So it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me a heads up.
(would also need to how to start the laces also)

Just to let you know I feel pretty stupid for asking this question, but its the only way I will learn.

Much appreciated for your replies. Don't worry I am going to be a Logistics Officer before any of you think that I might end up as a Typhoon Pilot.

Talk Reaction
15th Mar 2009, 22:41
There's no such thing as a stupid question, but..... :rolleyes:

You're going to have SO much fun at IOT if you're this stressed about your boot laces! Just do them up and relax a little. And of course play the game but don't let people convince you that this kind of thing is REALLY important.

PS in the future you can refuse to supply boots to anyone thus preventing anyone else going through what you're going through

Good luck!!!

On_The_Top_Bunk
15th Mar 2009, 22:58
Just to let you know I feel pretty stupid for asking this question, but its the only way I will learn.

Much appreciated for your replies. Don't worry I am going to be a Logistics Officer before any of you think that I might end up as a Typhoon Pilot.

Is it April 1st?

This isn't serious surely. At least you will get to see plenty of boots in clothing stores as a Loggy. Just try to give them out to the people that need them and remember you didn't have to pay for them.

Or you can't have them as they are the last pair and someone may need them.

Donna K Babbs
16th Mar 2009, 00:09
I wouldn't worry about lacing your boots up the wrong way. During IOT the Flt Cdrs will be happy that as a Supply Officer you've managed to get the boots on the right feet. :}

sisemen
16th Mar 2009, 02:01
...and if there is still the same problem as when I was a flt cdr the fact that you are wearing boots at all rather than wimpy trainers will be a big plus, plus factor that will almost guarantee graduation!

PS - Get your mind set on the fact that there is no such thing as a "stress fracture" - it's all in the mind; IOT is only for a short part of your life; the end result is worth the hassle and pain; the stress is in your mind not your legs and feet.

airborne_artist
16th Mar 2009, 10:16
Bridge yr laces mate :ugh:

Stitchbitch
16th Mar 2009, 10:35
You should have asked for the slip-ons, they are far more comfortable. Don't worry about the lacing part, most of the 'Phoon pilots I know still can't lace theirs..:E

airborne_artist
16th Mar 2009, 10:54
What's the Nato stock number for boots, officers, new entry, velcro fastening?

These should be easy to keep shiny:

http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/chipmunks_OLYMPIA_black_patent_boots.jpg

:}

212man
16th Mar 2009, 11:00
Future Officer

you may need to amend that title......

Airborne Aircrew
16th Mar 2009, 12:12
you may need to amend that title......

Not at all... It's perfect!

Bridged laces ensure that when you are wounded in combat, (when you drop that heavy box on your toes because the other stacker made a nasty loud noise outside stores when he ND'd), your boot can be cut off quickly and easily. Cross lacing is so much messier to cut free.:ok:

FCWhippingBoy
16th Mar 2009, 12:23
For God's sake, don't give an officer the idea he can think for himself!

Lacing up boots how he likes today ......

.... thinking he can run a Sect/Flt/Sqn/Stn tomorrow :}

PPRuNeUser0139
16th Mar 2009, 12:30
You're in danger of becoming that officer of whom it was said, "He couldn't empty a wellington boot full of water even if the instructions were printed on the sole..!":E

Don't sweat the small stuff..!

Gnd
16th Mar 2009, 13:37
It is traditional for soldiers to tietheir laces in a parallel fashion rather than the criss-cross pattern shown in the pictures. "The British Army do not cross lace their boots," said a retired Territorial Army soldier with experience in the QLR. Instead, one end is laced diagonally from top to bottom and the other threaded horizontally between each pair of eyelets. "The rationale was that if you got an injury to your foot one slice of your jackknife gets the boot off," the soldier said.
Indipendant (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/the-regimental-details-that-do-not-add-up-for-military-experts-562051.html)

The Oberon
16th Mar 2009, 13:59
At one time cross lacing was considered to be a bit of a gay thing, parallel lacing being the correct hetero method. I believe that's where the term "straight laced" came from.

rm2808
16th Mar 2009, 14:12
Ahhhh such a classic, i remember worrying about little things like that! But im very glad i kept them to myself instead of asking the question on here!

4mastacker
16th Mar 2009, 15:29
A ghurka told me that the Japanese used use the cross-lace method whereas Tommy used the parallel lacing. When the ghurkas were on night-ops, they would creep up behind a sentry and feel for his boot laces: if they were crossed, out came the khukri.

The OP merely confirms what I suspected about a lot of Supply officers... the two short planks syndrome still exists despite Bliars mantra of 'education, education, education'. Mind you, he'll make a great movements officer. :E

AdanaKebab
16th Mar 2009, 15:31
Ian's Shoelace Site - Shoe Lacing Methods (http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm)

Always lace mine Army style

Gnd
16th Mar 2009, 15:59
Army style is the recommended one from the med people as it gives the support to the foot but does not constrain the flexibility – interesting stuff I hear you say. Now the real cruncher will be if you get told off or not (in the Army I believe they shout) the Army style is a little scruffy and not symmetrical but the straight (European, bar or easy) is far more aesthetic to a drill pig.
For what it is worth, if you can use loop back lacing and still make the change parade, you might consider going for Typhoone – the added bonus to this is you can then use the Army style as all Typhone mates are scruffy – in the job spec you know.
Have fun and remember – not all military life is worth worrying about.

Pontius Navigator
16th Mar 2009, 16:58
The bestest way is to lace zips into the boots like the USAF, now that is really gay.:}

Tourist
16th Mar 2009, 17:57
I.........must...........not............rise...........to... .......this..........thread
It's a wind up.
Please god tell me it's a wind up?:confused:

Airborne Aircrew
16th Mar 2009, 18:01
Please god tell me it's a wind up?

It's a wind-up

Signed

An ex-Loadie, (Not quite god, but damned nearly)

Wensleydale
16th Mar 2009, 19:30
Slightly off thread....

As heard at Old Trafford in a debate on who was better.

"Ronaldo!!! He's not fit to lace George Best's drinks".

:}