PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Skilled Worker Rules

White and Fluffy
15th Mar 2009, 20:31
Just heard on the news that the government is going to reduce the number of skilled migrants allowd entry to Australia. They are also talking about removing some occupations from the skills shortage list.

How does this effect those already in Australia on a 457 Visa if their occupation gets taken off the list?

Does anyone have any more details if Pilot will remain on the list?

Cheers for any information or help.

W & F

bonvol
15th Mar 2009, 23:54
Usual disclaimers here.

Asked an Immigration Lawyer this and he said no effect to those on current 457.

May be a prob to those applying for unassisted skilled migration in the future but there are ways around that too.

ENS generally not affected. Conversion of 457 to Perm residency without employer support may/will be a problem though.

As usual, depends on individual circumstances.

Exit Strategy
16th Mar 2009, 05:26
Hopefully it means their visa will be canceled so some locals can get a job.

tail wheel
16th Mar 2009, 06:16
Hopefully it means their visa will be canceled so some locals can get a job.

Nope. No Visas being cancelled. Nor does it affect temporary workers holding Sub Class 457 Long Stay Business Visas. Nor does it affect ENS or RSMS conversion from 457 Visas.

All Press Releases so far relate only to Skilled Migration, excluding medical and IT industries.

There are still many jobs for Australian workers, particularly in rural and regional Australia.

fourgolds
16th Mar 2009, 10:51
Xenophobia alive and well I see.

coke drinker
16th Mar 2009, 12:42
Nothing to do with xenophobia there. When times are tough, it is a government's responsibility (more than any other time) to look after the citizen's of a nation. The cut still places 2009 immigration at 15k higher than last year anyway...

chewi
19th Mar 2009, 00:00
I agree with coke drinker lets look after our own first!

aditya104
19th Mar 2009, 02:56
can anybody give details for an immigrant pilot, the visa requirements. is it easy to get visa if someone is a flight instructor?

Max Bear
19th Mar 2009, 09:56
Unfortunately the growth in the number of Australian pilots will continue,
Lots of Australian 777 drivers coming up and yet we have those on PR, visas etc,taking Australian jobs.
Look no further than V..
Bring on the revolution....:ugh:

coke drinker
19th Mar 2009, 12:55
Aditya as I said last time you asked, you would cost more to employ than an Australian and pretty much nobody is putting on Junior instructors at the moment. Combining those two considerations, your chances are frankly between slim and bugger all. You would have to find a company willing to sponsor you, and that's not easy in low end GA

anonythemouse
19th Mar 2009, 14:30
Pilots on a PR visa? How does that happen? When we were first looking at emigrating we had to use the missus (nurse) as the visa applicant cos piot wasn't on the list!

Tazzy
19th Mar 2009, 23:06
Just remember there are Aussies working all over the globe. I hope those countries they are working out of dont take the attitude of some of the above posters (i.e. Hopefully it means their visa will be canceled so some locals can get a job) otherwise there will be a lot of pixxed off proffessionals comming home!

Also, take a moment to think about what cancelling a visa means to someone who has sold up and possibly moved with their family to this great place of Friendly, understanding people!