PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Super Concerns

Ka.Boom
15th Mar 2009, 18:08
Qantas faces super shortfall (http://business.watoday.com.au/business/qantas-faces-super-shortfall-20090315-8ywo.html)
Interesting reading

argus.moon
15th Mar 2009, 22:41
Perhaps the shortfall will prevent a merger or takeover.With the low share price its a possibilty

Duff Man
16th Mar 2009, 01:00
Airservices - same same but different - they've had to raid the entire profit to fund their defined benefit super obligations. Years of plundering the savings thanks to great (lucky) earnings, and now things take a turn for the worse and there's no war chest.

mrpaxing
16th Mar 2009, 03:34
with the QF superfund. one of the ratings site gives it a 40 where MTAA gets 110 and some retail funds run at 60. look at the comment from one comparison
A "reasonable value for money" superannuation fund that is performing well in a number of assessment areas but with average or below average features and/or performance in a number of other areas of our assessment. You should contact your financial advisor or this fund before making an investment decision.

need urgent attention by all members:confused:

surfside6
16th Mar 2009, 04:24
For too long the QF Super Fund has underperformed.Barely meeting ASX benchmarks the fund is complacent.Members are also complacent sticking with the fund because it is seen as too difficult to move to another fund outside the "family".
MTAA is a standout fund and a few QF employees have moved and have been glad they did.
MTAA has been the standout fund according to Money Magazine for the last three years.
Time to re evaluate

Skystar320
16th Mar 2009, 04:33
Like everyone's super at the moment - its fu*ked

Bazzamundi
16th Mar 2009, 05:10
Defined benefit is looking good.

Cunning_Stunt
16th Mar 2009, 05:11
Not if you went to cash early or middle of last year. Also helps to have a Super Fund that allows monthly changes of risk profile. Some Funds only allow one change per Financial year.

Cunning_Stunt
16th Mar 2009, 05:13
Meant as a reply to Skystar's post

porch monkey
16th Mar 2009, 07:19
Bazza, defined benefit looks good, as long as the cash is there to pay it out.

virgindriver
16th Mar 2009, 07:50
Makes me wonder why companies want to run their own super fund. They make great profits in the good times and then squeal like a stuck pig in the notso good times. It's just greed.

mustafagander
17th Mar 2009, 08:41
Defined benefit schemes are very dangerous in the current financial climate.

The company input is ACTUARIALLY determined to allow for the EXPECTED number of retirements/resignations. What if the airline goes tits up and ALL members need to be paid out? Is there ANY chance that this will happen @ 100c/dollar? In your dreams.

These are the ideas of a NON QUALIFIED pilot, a member of division 1, so get your own advice. I am out of QSL now.

Eastwest Loco
17th Mar 2009, 13:08
A nice little sea anchor on the QF Super Fund is the older members they have inherited from TN.

The old TAA super fund was a beauty. My Dad was medicalled out at 50 something and elected to take the 75% of finishing class 1 wage, indexed for life.

That gave him an excellent and more than comfy income and he had the temerity to live to 81 years of age.

There are many more old farts like him who are getting the fortnightly cheque with a 744 on it rather than a 727 and having a high old time. Best thing they ever did was to reject migration to the "new" allegedly better scheme. By then Dad was out of Engineering and a qualified accountant and could see the benefits of styaying where he was.

I am sure somewhere in the bowels of Head Orifice there are men in grass skirts in a dark smokey room poking pins into efigies of the surviving TN super recipients.

Oh for a scheme like that today!! I want in!!

May they live for a long long time.

Best all

EWL

prunezeuss
17th Mar 2009, 17:21
They would have migrated over at the time of the merger...yes?

surfside6
17th Mar 2009, 22:54
With the fall in the market the expected shortfall in the QF Super is reported to be around $98 million to be contributed from QFs bottom lone

Eastwest Loco
20th Mar 2009, 01:42
PRUNEZEUS

They were urged to move, but still had the option to remain were they were.

I can remember my father, who finished his TN years as a qualified acountant saying "They can blow this out their shell pink ears. I am staying where I am".

He also passed this on to the ex TN DPO guys when he was down here for some family do, and all elected the Commission's Wage.

The documentation presenting the new wizz-bang sceme had more spin than a Warnie flipper, and they were presented with bucketloads of "worst-case scenarios" that could befall them if they stayed where they were.

I am sure the documents floating around then would contravene just about every disclosure and clarity regulation in the book now.:=

Best all

EWL

Short_Circuit
20th Mar 2009, 01:52
The documentation presenting the new wizz-bang sceme had more spin than a Warnie flipper, and they were presented with bucketloads of "worst-case scenarios" that could befall them if they stayed where they were.
Same can be said when QF tried to make people leave Div 1 for Div 6.

ampclamp
3rd Apr 2009, 03:02
Qantas Airways Ltd. said Friday it has agreed to contribute an additional A$66 million over three years to top up its A$5 billion employee pension plan following the fall in global equity markets in recent months.
In a statement, the airline said the revised funding plan for the defined benefit divisions of the Qantas Superannuation Plan had been agreed with the plan's trustee after being prepared by an independent actuary.
The top-up payments are in addition to current contributions from the airline, which said despite a " challenging economic environment," the plan remains in a "strong financial position."

mrpaxing
3rd Apr 2009, 03:48
as i mentioned before the funds performance is very average. it needs a major shakeup in its approach. maybe they should outsource the fund to MTAA, at least as an industry fund their performance is exceptional.:bored:

dragon man
3rd Apr 2009, 05:58
I would be very careful of the MTAA fund. I think you will find a large part is invested in private equity which makes it a) hard to value in the current markets and b) if a large number of people want their money can they sell their assets to raise the cash

mrpaxing
3rd Apr 2009, 06:26
MTAA latest returns and general rating on morningstar any other ratings agency:ok: