PDA

View Full Version : AWACS Safety

9v-SKA
14th Mar 2009, 15:13
Hi guys, just wondering. How safe is an AWACS for its crew? I mean with all those electronics? Does it emit any radiation harmful to its crew?

Pure Pursuit
14th Mar 2009, 15:36
The crew are completely safe from any emissions from the radar and other emmitors onboard.

There is an issue with the ovens, in that they cannot cater for the entire crew at any given time. Moreover, the fridge is totally inadequate and, quite frankly, an appalling effort to support a hard working, slightly obese mission and flight crew.

Normal procedure for an oven failure, fridge going into defrost mode or, god forbid, a total attrition of rations are straight forward enough:

Switch the emmitors off, declare 'off station' and commence an emergency descent from UK4 for a straight in approach to Waddo. Flight crew will declare a 'mayday' and place a Subway 'Q jumper' order via company ops for anyone on a diet. All other orders are processed direct to KFC/BurgerKing & the local indian take away.

Plenty of close calls but, nothing too serious.

Dr Schlong
14th Mar 2009, 15:38
In answer to your questions...

1 - As safe as any other 707.
2 - Not a question.
3 - Not much more than your microwave, although there are a lot of daughters born to the squadron's people...

Next troll please.

Al R
14th Mar 2009, 16:14
Hi 9V,

Good question. There was that big spike in hair loss in the fleet a few years back, but wasn't that eventually put down to the shampoo that the RAF bought in bulk for use in the onboard gym? The older hands might be able to confirm or otherwise.

davejb
14th Mar 2009, 19:30
Ignore ALR's post, it's a complete wind up - what on earth would any RAF multi crew aircraft do with an onboard gym? I remember going down the gym once, but it turned out none of the crew had been there before and we couldn't find the way in. Luckily the pigs' bar was open.

Al R
14th Mar 2009, 20:11
I remember the PS bar Dave, but not the Pigs'. http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/scratchchin.gif

Was it next to the Naafi?

Vim_Fuego
14th Mar 2009, 21:53
Ignore the above answers to your question...The suggestion that 'Sentry' crews are more bothered about the condition and performance of the oven is totally preposterous...It's a commonly known fact that most of the mission crew, including myself, are blessed by the fitness god 'Gunter' with bodies honed from granite topped with a full head of flowing blond hair and eyes the colour of topaz...Capped actuals are actually improving our physical condition by forcing us to consume more calories to burn off in the gym as we load 'the pistols'...

As for radiation...I've finished with procreation so if there is any leaking out for free where do I pop the twig and giggleberries to save me going under the knife?

davejb
14th Mar 2009, 22:04
Good grief Al,
in a properly run mess the Pigs' bar is by far the most densely populated room....

Speaking tangentially to AWACS, I knew a senior officer once who reckoned Tromp would show up really well on radar, due to having that big dome on top.... reckon he'd figure the same regarding E3's...

Wensleydale
14th Mar 2009, 22:05
Although I hear that the IPT is looking at ways to harvest any leaking radiation from the electric roof rack and channel it down into a Microwave Oven which will assist in lowering convection oven demand to acceptable levels. (Demand on the oven can be very high once the weapons team has completed its 20 minutes worth of work per sortie!)

A further enhancement is to trigger a change in trim levels once the words "off channel" are heard on intercomm net 2. These words are normally followed by a shifting of weight to the rear as the FA plus 2 sprint to the rest area for a pie and a hot debrief. (or is it a hot pie and a debrief....)

w

ControllerTacko
15th Mar 2009, 12:09
I'm not so sure.....

They all seem normal when they leave UKADGE/ASACS/whatever it's called this week, then something strange happens........;)

Pontius Navigator
15th Mar 2009, 12:34
I'm not so sure.....

They all seem normal when they leave UKADGE/ASACS/whatever it's called this week, then something strange happens........;)

Whatever it is, it strikes before they get to Waddo.:}

Midland 331
15th Mar 2009, 15:26
That thing on the roof is actually a huge tandoor oven. Toss us a NATO-approved naan, please.

Pontius Navigator
15th Mar 2009, 15:45
and of course that big white stripe is an indication of how many people are working. When it moves slowly only the flt eng and nav are pedalling.

Brakes to Park
15th Mar 2009, 15:55
I knew a senior officer once who reckoned Tromp would show up really well on radar, due to having that big dome on top.... reckon he'd figure the same regarding E3's...

Ah yes the illustrious CXX Red Top Leader. He went on detachment to France once forgetting to take local currency with him and was heard to say "je n'ai pas de cents" which was the nearest anyone got to a true assessment of his ability.