PDA

View Full Version : Eye Sight - Glasses

HeathrowAirport
14th Mar 2009, 14:04
Hello,

Just looked on the website of RAF.

Eyesight

For some jobs – including Pilot – your eyesight needs to meet certain standards.
If you wear glasses, you can work for the RAF but this may affect which roles you can apply for.
If you are colour blind, you will not be able to join the RAF as a Firefighter, Weapon Technician, Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) or Aircraft Technician (Avionics). To join as a Pilot or an Engineer Officer, you'll do a colour perception test. It's only by doing this test that we can decide whether you'll qualify for the job.
You cannot join the RAF if you:

have a chronic eye condition, including glaucoma, keratoconus and retinitis pigmentosa;
have had squint surgery in the last six months;
have corneal problems such as a corneal graft and recurrent corneal ulcers;
have lost or dislocated your eye lens or detached your retina; or
have a cataract or have had cataract surgery.I havent got any of the above, I do however wear glasses for Lazy Left eye and Long sighted, Astigmatism also. I think I meet CAA JAR Class 1, I need to get that tested but whats the requirements for the RAF?

Regards,

Robbie

airborne_artist
14th Mar 2009, 14:32
I suspect no one on here, including me, will know the exact details of the medical requirements (Unless they are a current OASC doctor)Never assume ....

The most recent reqs., which probably answer HA's Q:

Here (http://www.aop.org.uk/uploaded_files/raf_july_07.pdf), at the Assoc of Optometrists, dated July 2007.

HA - take the document to your optician and ask them if you would pass.

HeathrowAirport
15th Mar 2009, 20:02
I dont think even I would meet that, I think I would meet Pro Pilot License though. Class 1 Medical.

I don't know what Correction Diopters I am, But If i can see a plane 4000ft in the air and tell you what airline it is with or without glasses (I am long sighted) and I can read perfectly small print with glasses on and off up close. Like a normal eye sighted person, Is everything ok?

I have an astigmatism and a left lazy eye, with my right ok. Just both are long sighted. I see the limit is 5.00 with astigmatism 2.00 DP.

How bad is 5.00? Really bad or good? I don't think I am 5.00. I think i am 2 or something. Not sure.

Regards,

Robbie

HeathrowAirport
15th Mar 2009, 22:07
Yeah, I am going to take the CAA form to my opticians and get an examination done as I am only 16 and no point me getting a Class 1 at the moment, and see how good my eyesight is. I was once on a patch and that, but apparently my eyesight is improving quite a lot. The glasses could correct it fully. But I do not know what Dioptre I am.

Apparently under +5.00 you can have laser treatment, and they said I could, so I think mine are under. But as you say better to find out first and check with that form and the specifications.

Regards,

Robbie

Tourist
15th Mar 2009, 22:07
Heathrow

Honestly, almost certainly not a chance.
But you will never know until you try, so get your ass to an eye doc.:rolleyes: