PDA

View Full Version : Finger Four

henry crun
4th Aug 2001, 12:22
In todays Telegraph, Michael Smith says that Douglas Bader devised the finger four formation. I thought the Germans used that a fair while before the RAF. Does anyone know who is correct ?.

criticalmass
4th Aug 2001, 15:00
If I recall correctly, the Germans used a four-aircraft formation for fighters called the "Schwarme", which pre-dated the finger-four by some years. The finger-four was the British equivalent, replacing the old-fashioned " Parade Ground Vics" and line-asterns which they used between the wars.
The Germans developed the Schwarme based on their experiences during the Spanish Civil War. Bader may well have copied it.

chiglet
4th Aug 2001, 19:52
The Luftwaffe actually used the "Rotte" [a pair] as their 'basic' formation. Two Rrotten made a Schwarme, three Schwarme, a Staffel, and [I think] three Staffelen to a Geschwader.
I hope that helps
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Mycroft
5th Aug 2001, 01:00
I believe we used whereas the germans used

and there were also differences in vertical formations (best seen with Duxford big wing/USAAF bomber formations)

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

gravity victim
7th Aug 2001, 14:21
While we're on the subject,What's the difference between Joan Collins and a Kitkat?
:D

Kermit 180
7th Aug 2001, 15:21
The basic idea of the finger four or schwarm is that there are two basic formations of two aeroplanes. If needed, the formation could split into two pairs, each leader having a wingman who would follow and watch his leader's tail, and cover any escape route the victim may attempt to take.

GV, go on... What is the difference?

Kermie

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: Kermit 180 ]

gravity victim
7th Aug 2001, 17:47
You can only get four fingers in a KitKat!

:D :D