View Full Version : video recordings to dvd

arthur harbrow
14th Mar 2009, 11:40
I have lots of pre recorded aviation tapes which i now wish to copy to dvd.
Any recommendations as to the best way to do this please?MTIA

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2009, 11:53
Windows Explorer should allow you to copy the files quite easily on to DVD, assuming you have a DVD drive on your PC?

Diesel Fitter
14th Mar 2009, 12:38
Windows Explorer should allow you to copy the files quite easily on to DVD, assuming you have a DVD drive on your PC?

I think he's looking for advice on how to transcribe tapes (probably VHS or cam tapes) onto the PC.

So am I.

Everything from there on is a no brainer.

N707ZS
14th Mar 2009, 12:40
With the right leads can you plug a video recorder into a PC and burn off discs.

diddy1234
14th Mar 2009, 12:46
you can buy an analogue PCI tv card (hauppauge tv card £29.99) from say pc world.
this will possibly mean opening your pc case to insert the card inside.

this may not be the best option for most people.
There is another alternative a USB tv card.
These will plug into a spare USB slot on the pc.
The only downside is that an analogue USB tv card are harder to come by and also there a bit more flaky in operation.

to sum up there are two options :-
PCI card type - this means opening the case but better performance and to a point quality.
USB - external to the pc and easy to connect but more flaky in operation and also software can be more of a problem.

regardless of which route to take then the next stage is to make a lead that will allow a 'composite' video signal into the tv card (not an aeriel connection).
Most analogue tv cards have a composite input phono socket. This would be used to get the video picture into the pc from the scart output of the video recorder.

you would also need to connect the audio out from the video into the 'audio in' on the tv card as well.

I brought a scart lead from a pound shop and then hacked one end off and fitted the relevant sockets to the correct wires (after searching the web for the scart pin out connections).
No manufacturer seems to make these leads.

Its not an easy job but good luck.

I have done this in the past and the quality is about you-tube video quality.

so good luck.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2009, 14:09
<<I think he's looking for advice on how to transcribe tapes (probably VHS or cam tapes) onto the PC.>>

Understood - sorry Arthur..

opnot
14th Mar 2009, 15:47
I am doing it a the moment . If you have a dvd recorder ,just connect your video recorder to it using scart leads, play your video and record onto a dvd

diddy1234
14th Mar 2009, 16:47
just an update.

BBC's click program has details on transfering video to the pc.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click | Click Essentials: TV to PC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7754446.stm)

also an article to transfer from video to DVD

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click | Click Essentials: VHS to DVD (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7686033.stm)

Hope it helps

arthur harbrow
14th Mar 2009, 17:37
Thanksfor all your answers.Sorry if i did not make myself clear.
I must have over 100 video tapes taking up a lot of space.
I am hopeless with electronics and thought you had to buy a dvd/vcr recorder, over 200 pounds i think, so your answers have been very helpful.

magpienja
14th Mar 2009, 19:01
I needed to do the same, I went to asda and bought there cheapest DVD recorder at about £60.00 and copied all my VHS from my video to the DVD, looked even clearer for some reason on playback after converting to DVD.

Nick.