PDA

View Full Version : Female Pilots

hdaae
4th Aug 2001, 08:10
Im new to this forum and noticed that the Female Pilot thread is closed, so I decided to give my opinion/input.

As Ive said in a earlier post today, Ive worked as a CFI in Florida and have taught both male and female studentpilots.
Ive kept in touch with several of them, and when talking to my former female students Ive gotten a impression of some intolerance to gender, even at this time and age.

When they proceeded thru their training, and particulary when getting to the CFI training, they would have a hard time getting study partners for their CFI briefings. The impression my former female students were left with were that their fellow CFI candidates considered them less competent and fit for the job as CFI's based on gender. Some males do still feel threatened by the prospect that a female can outperform them in a line of work that still is male dominant. Its a sad attitude. New pilot should be considered an asset, not a threat.

My expirience as a CFI is that gender has nothing to do with your abilities. Its not what you are that matters. Its WHAT you DO and WHO you ARE that matters.

If I get in the captain chair and becomes part of the pilot selection prosess for my Co Pilots, I wouldnt hesitate to choose a female (or a male for that matter :)

Doctor Cruces
4th Aug 2001, 08:51
Unfortunately there are still many dinosaurs out there who believe that women should be kept in the kitchen and their over inflated, delicate masculine egos feel very threatened at the thought that a woman could actually be as equal to the task as they are.

Doc C.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Aug 2001, 10:34
The other thread on this subject has just been closed and there is little point in starting another. The subject had run it's course. I am, therefore, closing this one too.

PPRuNe Pop
Administrator
[email protected]