PDA

View Full Version : the worst hotel in the world ?

throber69
18th Sep 2000, 23:15
I know we all have them, but it is now time to truly find the worst hotel in Nightstop land.

I hate to name an enlish hotel well two actually

1: the Ibis luton airport

2:The Golden Sands, Jersey (gods waiting room)

LOVE AND KISSES THROBER 69

Tricky Woo
18th Sep 2000, 23:33
Britannia Hotel, Manchester
Movenpick, Zurich
Ibis, Luxembourg

Random Electron
18th Sep 2000, 23:55
The Zurich Movenpik? You are nominating that hotel?

Are you serious? That is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in (the Airport one, that is)

Try the Newcastle Airport Moathouse. Apart from the five different species of aglae on just the shower curtain alone, it has to be the most DEPRESSING hotel in the world?

I have to add though, staying there is a price worth paying for a NCL overnight. Great place for a fun night stop!

Carpe Diem
19th Sep 2000, 00:15
Novotel,Marseille !
I found a dead mouse in my room http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Manual Reversion
19th Sep 2000, 01:02
Hotel Major. Kaohsiung
The smell of disinfectant doesn't seem to worry the rodents

HugMonster
19th Sep 2000, 01:04
I have to agree with the Ibis, Luton - a dungeon, and with the Britannia, Manchester (both the one in the centre of town and the one in Stockport - both DIRE).

To these I would like to add the Ibis, Toulouse and:-

The Worst Hotel Ever, the St. James in Grimsby.

Fights between winos outside (and sometimes inside), grafitti in the lifts, dirty bedlinen, strange growths on the shower curtains, saucers full of cigarette butts under the bed...

Flypuppy
19th Sep 2000, 01:18
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares with the Lagos Sheraton.
It isn't part of the Sheraton group, the owner just decided to use the name. It is one of the grottiest, smelliest unsafe hotels I have had the misfortune to spend an night in. I hope you don't have the same bad luck.

traveler
19th Sep 2000, 01:51
Please Tricky Woo take that Movenpick, Zurich back.
It even has a bar downstairs !

I have to agree with Flypuppy here. However the worst hotels often makes us feel closer as a group. Since we're all in the same boat we have to make something of it together. And a lot of times it becomes a fun trip after all. I'm very glad we all slip in the same hotel, as opposed to some airlines.

Whiskery
19th Sep 2000, 02:16
Flypuppy - agree with that,but have you ever stayed at the Shukura Hotel in Sokoto. Nigeria ? Like the Sheraton it is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, but the stars are so small you need a magnifying glass to see them!

The absolute pits !

captlcc
19th Sep 2000, 02:29
Try the Days Inn, Downtown, Miami - there's a hospital right across the street. Stay there and you'll probably need it!

E cam
19th Sep 2000, 02:37
Metrpole BHX - 'kin NOISEY!

Doctor Cruces
19th Sep 2000, 04:33
I have to agree with the folk who nominate the Britannia in Manchester (the Didsbury one) Looks nice on the outside and SOME of the staff actually do know what they're doing and try to help, but mostly it's a dismal place for service and the food is, frankly, losy and overpriced.

------------------
'An intellectual is someone who has been educated beyond common sense.'

pjdj777
19th Sep 2000, 11:45
I agree with the votes for both Britannias in Manchester, had the misfortune of staying at them whenever my usual "pad" (Crown Plaza) wasn't available.

Stayed in the one out Stockport way and couldn't believe it would be as bad as the one in town - it was!

In London the Columbia Lancaster Gate is exceptionally tatty, but very rock and roll.

Doors to Automatic
19th Sep 2000, 13:29
The inappropriately named Plaza Hotel in Lancaster Gate, London gets my vote. Small, cramped hot rooms, lousy service, rooms not ready until 4 p.m., expensive and to top it all off all Coke machines out of order. What a sh**hole!

Rupert
19th Sep 2000, 13:59
Best Western, Manaus

Off Blox
19th Sep 2000, 14:20
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif Well, this one will beat the lot of you. HOTEL KORSHA (run by Aeroflot) in ULYANOVSK - Siberia. Walls are grey, floors are grey, 2 single beds in each room. No hot water, plenty of cold water. Ice on the inside of the windows. :0 No toilets as we know them but simply holes in the ground where both sexes share, and I use the term lightly, "facilities" http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Average inside temperatures are -10c in the winter. Prostitutes wander the corridors freely alledging to be employed by Aeroflot and "in need of some company" !!!! ;)

My advice: http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif DON'T GO THERE :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TwoDeadDogs
19th Sep 2000, 14:54
Hi there
One of the two hotels in Deir Azzur,Syria.It's name escapes me,but it was not one of the "chain" hotels.The food was identical for every one of the 30 days I stayed there.After a burst of Assad's Revenge,no more meat dishes for me(day 2).Interesting algae in the shower.Sporadic water supply.The staff were eager to please but spoke virtually no English.I was the only non-Italian/non-French/non-German.The beer in the dungeon-like bar was watery.
Jesus wept!!
TDD

Jetdriver
19th Sep 2000, 21:59
Agree with Rupert

Best Western in Manaus Brazil.
Still shudder just thinking about it !

The Guvnor
19th Sep 2000, 22:07
Actually, Flypuppy, the Lagos Sheraton in Ikeja is a genuine one - though God alone knows why Sheraton would want to admit it! :) :) It features in the Sheraton Global Directory, and is on their website - along with the one in Abuja. I spent eleven months there, off and on; and would frequently find that my room had been 'reallocated' - a problem resolved by the payment of dash and the turfing out of the unfortunate occupant.

The hotel with the 'fake' name was the Lagos Hilton - which features as the number one on my list of hotels to avoid at all costs. Number two is the Source du Nile in Bujumbura.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Warlock2000
19th Sep 2000, 22:23
The worst Hotel I've had the misfortune of staying at in my entire airline career has got to be the Zurich Movenpick. Its time they move away from the grey walls and (very) second hand bedding. Oh, soundproofing the windows might be a good idea too, hate being woken up the the sound of the 7am departure of Rwy16! The bar however does get some action and can be festive.

Never stayed in any of the former USSR states nor at the Lagos Sheraton but from the picture you paint next time I'm in ZRH I won't be so critical.

Few Cloudy
19th Sep 2000, 22:24
Guv,

Is that the one with the bright green swimming pool - and I'm talking about the water colour.......

JJflyer
20th Sep 2000, 00:18
My last worst hotel was the Meridien in Nice.
Hotel itself was not all that bad. rooms small and all that usual stuff.
but what gives this place its unique flavour is the attitude it's staff exhibits.
I don't think that guest's inability to speak french should be a criteria for rude treatment. Oh and the person who checked me inn should have had the courtesy of taking a shower that week. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone in the industry. If you have a choise use something else.

Seems that Ibis hotels are also leading the polls. My friend's laptop was stolen from Schiphol Ibis, never to be found and the place is a dump.

JJ

Dan Winterland
20th Sep 2000, 00:47
My nomination is the Hotel Monte Brasil in Angra, Azores. Damp, smelly, noisy, and just very unpleasant. Had the misfortune to stay there in Jan this year. We recommended that it wasn't to be used again, and my employer agreed. Imagine our suprise to find the handling agent booked us in again in May (not!). We drank the bar out of beer in one round, the only food available was a bag of cashews and there was no change for a 5000 escudo note. (not very big really). The bizarre breakfast features cold frankfurters.

They overcharged us substantially on this last visit, so that should set the seal on it!

JJ Flyer. I actually thopugh the Meridian in Nice was good - but I am in the military, so I'm not used to good hotels!

[This message has been edited by Dan Winterland (edited 19 September 2000).]

The Guvnor
20th Sep 2000, 17:49
Few Cloudy - you mean the one in BJM or LOS? The answer is yes to both! :) :) :)

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Grandad Flyer
20th Sep 2000, 23:11
I agree about the Britannia Hotel at MAN. Not our usual hotel, they were full. The rooms myself and colleagues got were appalling. Real health hazard stuff. They were so bad we had to stay in the bar all night :)
Anyway, I complained and they offered me - another nights free stay there! I told them what I thought of that idea!
I complained to the company too, and refused to stay there again.

Honest Frank
20th Sep 2000, 23:54
FAWLTY TOWERS, TORQUAY
Run by a rather tall chap with a 'tache.
Waiter's useless.

overstress
21st Sep 2000, 00:16
Post House Forte, GLA (the one in the airport carpark)

Try sleeping there during the daytime!!

gas path
21st Sep 2000, 00:19
The Centaur Delhi.........'orrid!!!
Another one with a green swimming pool (water!!!!!)

BoeingBoy
21st Sep 2000, 01:33
The Britannia central Manchester? Stayed there when it first opened. Management allowed burglers to get room keys! Tried to pay off my Captain when he found someone in is room taking this watch. He was asleep at the time.

One of our stewards was kept awake by a bonking couple next door. Punched the wall in frustration to tell them to keep quiet and found his fist had joined them. He met them eye to eye!

I asked for a room change one night due noise and the night manager came to my room, threw back the bed covers and checked that I'd not soiled it before moving me!

I was threatened by the night club bouncers one night because I objected to being hustled out of the bar and into the disco due to their idea of closing time.

This hotel was the worst in the world.

Until I spent six months staying at the Movenpick in Zurich.

Now to be fair, I was staying courtesy of TEA Switzerland on a contract, and was placed across the car park in what was called a guest wing. But in reality was the staff quarters. The bed clothes were 'green' with mould, the noise from the staff on the two lower floors was intolerable.With no redress.

A couple of my coleagues went stir crazy staying in the place.

Good thread, I've enjoyed offloading all this.

fobotcso
21st Sep 2000, 13:25
Adelphi in Liverpool. You know, the one in the TV programme. Guess what, it's a Britannia Hotel too.

Maybe not the worst in the world but it was a terrible shock after fulfilling my boyhood dream of staying there. I went to a downtown grammar school (Collegiate) in the late 40s and regularly walked past this magnificent building thinking I would never have the means to stay there. When I did finally last year the building was just the same but the service was appalling. At Sunday breakfast there was more coffee in my saucer than in the cup.

Once a jewel of opulence, it has been dummed down to the depths - presumably to keep the cash flow going. So sad. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Algol
21st Sep 2000, 14:56
Ikeja Hotel, Lagos Nigeria.
Haven't the words to describe it, but for example, we once came home from a duty to find two locals had been 'necklaced' at the main gate. Necklacing involves putting tyres over the head/upper body of a suitable victim, pouring petrol on them and setting fire to them.
They were still alive as we drove by, even though they were burned to the bone. Everyone was going about their daily business and paying no mind.
What a kip.

ETOPS
21st Sep 2000, 15:04
I almost daren't add to this list for two reasons; Working for BA we tend to stay in quite reasonable hotels, both in Europe and further afield. Ok we get the usual disturbances, vacuum cleaners and bonking neigbors (the co-pilot usually) but the only one that stands out is the Holiday Inn Frankfurt. What a gloomy place that is, dark rooms, few facilities and out of the city centre to boot.
On a more serious note I have to admit that Mrs ETOPS was, until a few years ago, the head receptionist at the Britannia Hotel! Sorry - I'll go and spank her vigorously on all your behalfs!

Tricky Woo
21st Sep 2000, 18:19
(I lost this thread when it was thrown out of Rumours & News).

Warlock2000 and BoeingBoy,
Thank you with regards to backing me up about the s*dding Movenpick in Zürich. Dump, dump, dumpety, dump.

Random Electron,
One of the best you've ever stayed it? Words fail me...

I'm greatly amused by the Britannia Hotel war-stories. I'd add a few, but this isn't Jet Blast.

And I'm a bit shy.

pied piper
21st Sep 2000, 22:45
The Ibis Orly Sud, Prison appearance, and the only power socket was near the ceiling for the TV.

Britannia Didsbury some good rooms at expensive rates but the food is still poor.

Post House LHR because of the TV interference

Best Hotel so far is the Prince Savoy Milan, shear luxury

Doctor Cruces
22nd Sep 2000, 03:43
Forgot to mention the noise when I added my two pennyworth re the Britannia in Manchester (Didsbury division).

Noise outside until 2 am on Thu, Fri, Sat and some very noisy couples in the room next door on several occasions. Air conditioning rarely worked so closing the windows was not an option. Opening the windows was not an option in the rooms to the rear of the main block because of the air conditioning plant (HA!!) roaring away on the first floor roof below. When someone in the next room used the so called jaccuzi it sounded like the world was about to end.

One time there was no hot water for several hours and then it went to the opposite extreme, no cold water. I nearly scalded myself in the shower and the loo was steaming when I flushed it.

A disgusting place that I cannot recommend people to avoid loudly enough!!

Doc C

Overstretch
22nd Sep 2000, 18:50
The Value Inn - Darwin. Concrete beds, cockroaches and no phone. Okay so it did have a (small) fridge for the tinnies and it was Darwin and just down the road from one of the best bars in the world, but that's an entirely different topic.
;) ;) ;)

Tricky Woo
22nd Sep 2000, 19:37
I used to live in the same apartment block as the owner of the Britannia, Sachas, Britannia Ringway and Adelphi hotels, etc, etc, etc. (We all forgot about Sacha's, didn't we?).

Local Manchester boy done good. Done VERY good. A zillionare, but still drives a knackered old Bentley. Rumour has it he's a wee bit on the tight side.

Needless to say, he lives in a HUGE penthouse, while I used to live on the ground floor with the rest of the poor people.

It's very tempting to hand out his address to you lot, so you can send your heart-felt compliments directly to him.

Oh, what to do...

250 kts
22nd Sep 2000, 20:30
See there's a few problems in Manchester/Stockport.Try Bredbury Hall in Stokport.Good rooms,quiet during the week,but on Friday & Saturday nights--boy is that a good night club or what!! Closes at 3am then everyone moves to the bar where they start to serve hot beef sandwiches and the party just continues. Don't fly the next day though!

Hagbard the Amateur
22nd Sep 2000, 21:29
Sorry - but I was amazed at the amount of refs to the Britannia Country House (ha) Hotel, Didsbury so had to throw my tuppence worth in - spent three weeks there this July on a theatre job for FIFA - never again. I too could anecdote away until the country animals come home about noise, bad food and a few speciality stories that would make Fawlty Towers look respectable. It's because they make their main budget from large wedding parties and the like who are usually too p**sed to care about anything else but the bar closing time & flexible cleaners.
I understand they take a few airline stop overs too - I pity the pros who arrive on weekends and need a night's sleep.

flapsforty
22nd Sep 2000, 21:33
Midway House in Karachi!

Once surprised the Bearer while he was cleaning his rather brown looking teeth with MY toothbrush
All booze had to be carefully hidden, otherwise same Bearer would empty bottle, without even bothering to refill it with water
Anything else than a toasted cheese sandwich would result in immediate galloping trots!
Once woke up with a cockroach sitting on my left eyelid (stonecold sober btw)
Dead bodies (animal & human) regularly found under beds and in closets
Enter bathroom barefoot at one's own peril!

RRAAMJET
23rd Sep 2000, 00:50
Hilton, Addis Abbaba - stayed there a few years ago on the 17th? floor: my balcony door opened to no balcony......hmmmm, put furniture in the way so I wouldn't open it pi$$ed.

The Chiang Kai Shek, Taipei Airport. A perennial garden spot with Cathay regulars, where the staff turn the lights off on you in the bar/restaurant just after you've ordered a cold one. Ahhh, the lovely customary Taiwanese hospitality.....also with stiffs in the rooms and high-life 'roaches.

Several RAF Messes, where they turn the heat on in the summer, and off in the winter, 'cos it's cheaper.....and you can't wear your flying kit to the bar even if you diverted and have nowt else. Criticising these, though, is like tripping a dwarf....

The Holiday (!) Inn, Long Beach Airport. The barman threw a bottle at us when we ordered at 3 minutes to closing time. No lock on the door. Freeways on 2 sides. 7am departures a few hundred feet away on the other. Don't go there.....

MileHi
24th Sep 2000, 13:01
Movenpick, ZRH.....!

Carnage Matey!
24th Sep 2000, 18:33
Beaten to it with the Holiday Inn Frankfurt. Weird shaped rooms which the wind howls around at night, elevators that only stop at half the floors, tap water that smells (and tastes probably) like sewage, zero ventilation (unless you wamt a force 10 gale in your room), the nearest bar is a gay pick-up joint and a deranged, naked man wanders the local area day in, day out. All this and a 4:30am pick up too.

Reimers
24th Sep 2000, 19:08
Novotel in SVO.

I know that in these places it is hard to run a decent hotel, but they manage to do better even in Samara, Russia (1000 mi further east).

The Novotel is more like a brothel with the added convenience (to the airline) that it is close to the airport. The ATM in the lobby copies your PIN and someone will surely use it to buy wodka.

Additionaly, the weather is gloomy most of the time, but that cannot be blamed on the hotel.

DownIn3Green
25th Sep 2000, 05:50
Definately, 150% has to be the L'Hotel du Chari in Chad. Understand it's now a part of the Meridian chain. In that respect, JJ and the Meridian in Nice, he's just pi**ed he got "Triple Nickle" and we all got the sea view...still a crappy hotel though...Where is the soap on those staff?

Le Pen
25th Sep 2000, 20:54
Its got to be the Inter-con in Abidjan..... Had to keep my shoe-laces in the safe to stop them from walking out on their own!! It was built in the 70's and the rooms have not been vacuumed since then!! Also the Oberoi towers in BOM I was waiting on for a lift (elevator), when the doors opened there was a rat standing on its hind legs eyeing me up for lunch!

Love

Le Pen

------------------
Nil Fault Found.....Another great work of fiction in progress

Tallbloke
26th Sep 2000, 00:12
Adelphi, Liverpool, Brittania Manchester & Docklands. All of these pale against the experience of my girlfriend, who got a phone call from the pop star she had just settled into her room in Detroit with her kids. She peels the sheets back, the bed is full of blood, like masacre. Pop star loses her mind kids go mad 3+5 years old. Management turn up and say, "Thats all right, we will change the sheets"

Shanwick Shanwick
26th Sep 2000, 03:01
Kirkhill Lodge, Aberdeen followed closely by the Bredalbane House Hotel, Wick, The Cherry Orchard, Port Erin IOM and not to forget the Adelphi, Liverpool.

Waloo
26th Sep 2000, 07:22
Used to be the "Hanoi Hilton" for some

HugMonster
27th Sep 2000, 01:06
Tallbloke, didn't you have something to say about your girlfriend settling popstars into her room?? Or is it one of those relationships? :)

jtr
27th Sep 2000, 20:14
CKS Taipei.

Please take the Movenpick off the list, you have no idea how good you have it!

FL001
28th Sep 2000, 02:18
"the Leeming Bar Motel" on the A1.
I slept in the car park in the end.

------------------
It's all the same above 200 feet.

Arkroyal
29th Sep 2000, 04:22
with all these horror stories I might just have to write to our Hotac planners and thank them for finding us such great places!

Except the EDI Posthouse next to the zoo in the seal mating season, where you can't have an air conditioned room (even though they are available and cost no more) because a 'proper guest' might want it.

Speaking of Flowery tw@ts...... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Avro'ansome
29th Sep 2000, 18:59
Sorry, but I can't let this thread continue without adding the Holiday Inn, Roissy CDG, the IBIS, Roissy CDG, and all of the other godforsaken dumps located in Roissy, CDG.

The Holiday Inn has no air-conditioning, and rooms with sealed windows. You can actually smell the last guest long after the have left. :mad:
Ignorant staff that seem to ignore totally the 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign I hang on my door. :mad:
A bar that closes at midnight, and usually takes the best part of an hour q'ing to get served, even when there are no other customers there. :mad:
A substantial bar menu, as long as you like ham and cheese sandwiches toasted. :mad:
And reception have an amazing ability to continue to charge my credit card completly at random whenever the find a bill that needs settling :mad:

At least in Flatty Twots I could give the spanish waiter a few slaps about the head ;)

Octopus
30th Sep 2000, 02:00
All hotels with windows that do not open - in particular the ones in UK where airconditioning does not work - current hate - Forte Crest London.

Holiday Inn CDG - you forgot to mention no room service at night and the staff steal things from the rooms.

Hyatt CDG is pretty good actually.

Any hotel named Sofitel or Novotel is pretty sad.

The Sleeping Pax
30th Sep 2000, 05:16
Can A Pax post here without being told to #!*$ off?
I recently booked to say at the Hamdala Hotel in Kaduna, Nigeria. I walked into the room. The door was held on by one screw. This was bettr than the room across the corridor as it had no door. There was an inch and a half gap between the floor and the door. and a couple of cockroaches were happily running arond the room. When I, called the reception to complain, suddenly no-one spoke English. No manager was available. I went to find another place further down the road.
Another company I do business with in Oman habitually tries to book me into the Novotel at Seeb. The noisiest, most uncomfortable hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

battwistingtastic
30th Sep 2000, 14:58
All posthouses are apalling. Edinburgh was the least bad I thought; Norwich the worst-corridor smelt of piss, furniture upholstry ripped and worn, room very tired and dark; asked for a quiet room, got a manic family next door which might as well have been in the same room as me.

ANDERSON
1st Oct 2000, 22:29
Worst was Days Inn CLE-Cleveland Airport
I am sure that the bed was moving when I checked into room and it was not one where you put your quarter into the slot at the side to get the water bed to lull you to sleep.I have always been wary of hotels/motels that have rooms by the hour !
What a dump not going back there again.

ZK-NSJ
3rd Oct 2000, 11:20
the royal singi hotel in kathmandu.

Guinness
4th Oct 2000, 00:41
I'd like to nominate Hotel Enny, Sofia, Bulgaria, for the title of "Worst Hotel". Whilst the hotel is, by western standards, ridiciously cheap (a night excluding breakfast costs a mere £8), and the toilets are, in comparison to other parts of the country, the "normal" type (as opposed to the best avoided "squat" type), and beer and coke was literally £0.13p for a 0.5ltr bottle, the hotel rates low due to being mosquieto infested. Well, I use the term "infested" quite freely. I was bitten numerous times and frequently shouted very loud internationally recognisable words. I had no option but to resort to sleeping with all my clothes on.

Whilst that hotel rates in first place for the worst hotel title, another one is worthy of number two. Please do note that, whilst I do generally stay in budget hotels (I am a keen backpacker and like travelling on a shoe-string), I do have some standards. On a recent trip to New Atlantic Hotel, London, I was with my lady friend and was told, upon checking in, "no guests in room". I was quite shocked and annoyed. This hotel rates number two!

Now we have established a directory of bad hotels, what about good ones? When I'm not back packing, I stay in better hotels. As such, I would like to nominate Sheraton Amsterdam and Frankfurt for offering top accommodation and no doubt my return custom.

Guinness.

[This message has been edited by Guinness (edited 03 October 2000).]

GalleyWench
5th Oct 2000, 22:13
May I nominate our former layover hotel in ORD the Days Inn Hotel? I think saying that guests of the Jerry Springer show stay there is explanation enough!!

[This message has been edited by GalleyWench (edited 05 October 2000).]

airbourne
7th Oct 2000, 11:43
After all the sh it we went through back in May, I cant believe that no one has mentioned the Hilton at STN, I was particulary fond of the severe lack of all night food from the all night menu!!

That and the not so gracious response from the night manager, when someone (unnamed) decided to play the bagpipes in the lobby. :)

AB

StressFree
9th Oct 2000, 01:03
Gentlemen,
All these posts mean nothing unless youve spent a week at The Tammanrasset Hotel in the mid Sahara. This is the end of the world. The word 'hotel' is used very loosely, you need a shower to get clean from the shower. The 'food' is a VERY brief visitor in your gut. I was woken up at dawn once by a bloke making some horrible straining noises outside my door, he was having a dump whilst on his way to dawn prayers. The offending pile of sh*t remained there until we left - 3 days later.
I know the Holiday Inn at Roissy and the one at Cologne Airport are appalling but I would rather spend a month there than one night at the Tammanrasset. For the real masochists out there, try The Palace, Douglas, Isle of Man. Excrement, sheer excrement.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

jetjackel
9th Oct 2000, 21:46
SAGroup hotel in GVA. Swissair and Crossair crews are housed there during temporary assignments out of GVA. Rude staff. Terrible food downstairs and rooms the size of ZRH Movenpick bathrooms. TV's the size of Gameboys.

Jackel

411A
11th Oct 2000, 08:45
Suria Hotel in Delhi. The toilet blew up all over the asst chief pilot one night. He moved to the Hilton. Come to think of it, it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Hay Larry, where are you now?

zzz
11th Oct 2000, 17:34
Britannia, Didsbury. I remember going to disco one night until three in the morning and then getting up early that morning to have breakfast, only to find it was in the same room, complete with beer and fags on the floor. Just the worst.

cheers zzz

Eff Oh
12th Oct 2000, 01:57
For me it has to be HOTEL EULER in Basel Switzerland. Company put us up there on initial sim training, supposed to be a 5 star. Five star my a**e.
Food: Crap.
Staff: Crap. (Dont know what "Do not disturb" means!!!) :mad:
Atmosphere: Crap.
Frankly this hotel is lost in the 1920s!! I was woken 5 times in 2weeks, either by the cleaners just barging into my TINY closet like room. Or by reception asking why I still had my Do Not Disturb sign on the door!!! :rolleyes: http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
HIGHLY over pricecd, even though the company was paying for it. As my mother says "At least Dick Turpin wore a mask"!!!! :) :) :)

[This message has been edited by Eff Oh (edited 11 October 2000).]

Speechless Two
15th Oct 2000, 02:46
Shanwick Shanwick - you'll be pleased to know that the contents of the Kirkhill Lodge, Aberdeen go under the hammer on Wednesday - 'tis no more!!

aussihk
15th Oct 2000, 07:35
This is test.

gurrka yindi
15th Oct 2000, 09:49
The Narita Winds hotel.

CX has been staying there since it opened about 25 years ago, except for one year at the Holiday Inn during rate negotiations.

It is a backpackers hotel used for JAL short layovers and package tours. Nikko uses it for training their new-hire staff. JAL owned, but they wouldn't dare put their crews there.

Room service only after 6pm, many of the staff can't speak english, ie "What is irron?" Your wake-up call could be anyones. Carpet full of toenail tearings, wall paper peeling, porcelain toilets so old they are stained, no aircon temp control (fan speed control only), old apple cores under the beds along with 25 years of dust.

Don't kid yourself that the Japs are particularly fussy about cleanliness or nature - just go for a walk off the highway and have a look.

Gen. Bombdabastards
15th Oct 2000, 16:12
Stayed in the Hagdale lodge on Unst in the mid 80's. Portacabin construction and charged £60 per night. What a S*~t hole

Horsepower
17th Oct 2000, 14:09
Cowie’s, Bombay.
See the predatorial food chain in action on you bedroom floor at night.
Excrement daubed on bathroom walls was also a particularly nice touch.

Tricky Woo
18th Oct 2000, 18:27
I'd like to change my Movenpick Zürich nomination to the Novotel Zürich.

Stayed there last night. Absolute pants. The same sort of plastic 'modular' bathroom as in a cheap 'n' nasty Hong Kong hotel. It makes both the Movenpick and the Swissötel look good. Yuk.

Groundloop
19th Oct 2000, 13:14
Why on Earth would anyone go to GRIMSBY!!!

TicTac
19th Oct 2000, 20:05
While on a trip to Israel I stayed in this hotel in Tel Aviv, i think it was, which I will not name, I thought fair enough, it wasnt as expensive as others, but heres the funny thing - In the hotel on the information pack thing there was a piece of paper with " sea view rooms with all" written on, well I must say the tip, or whatever it was I had a view of looked like a bomb site!. I cant honestly say the food or accomodation made up for this!, but hay who's complaining ?....
TicTac

------------------
"Its official - Pigs can fly"

Nil nos tremefacit
19th Oct 2000, 22:00
Went to Grimsby for sea survival drills with RAF when going through nav training. Half-shaft on bus broke so while we waited, in No2 uniforms, for fix, we ended up in a hotel full of ladies of the night. Can't remember it's name, but after the amount we drunk it's lucky that I remember I was in Grimsby.

[This message has been edited by Nil nos tremefacit (edited 19 October 2000).]

Comanche
20th Oct 2000, 03:02
Surprised I have not seen any Newark hotels on the list yet. Holiday Inn near Newark airport. There are a few out there, but none even come close to meeting the chain standards (which aren't that high to start off with). Absolutely horrible.

Lurk R
20th Oct 2000, 03:53
This thread starting to sound like the 4 Yorkshireman....

Well there lad, I would have dreeeeeeeamed of staying in the Zurich Movenpick!!!!

Tropical Storm 7B
22nd Oct 2000, 16:37
Well I've red most of the Posts here and one thing sticks out very sharply
Most not all but Most of the Hotels are in Europe, yes Nigeria is mentioned a the odd one in various places but generally Europe and the States

It comes to one thing

its called "Service"

it doesn't really exist in these continents
unless you pay through the Nose

The worst places I've stayed in over 20 years
all over the place has been London
all of the 5 I've been in at LHR
and CDG

try the Far East Mid East and many countries (not all) in Africa and just compare

You can't !!

gravity victim
26th Oct 2000, 20:02
Mention of the delights of Grimsby reminds me of a sh*thole I stayed in there, awful pink brushed nylon sheets, caught a toenail in one and achieved an instant 3-ft ladder...mate also staying there said that the static was so bad, he had to earth himself to the radiator to have a w*ank.... :) :)

buck-rogers
30th Oct 2000, 22:55
Not exactly a stop over but hey...

Hotel in Torquay beggining with H. Your time is up...

Get this...

1996 - Booked in at midnight, last room available - four poster room £150/per night. Too tired to care. Big mistake.

Stained unwashed and torn sheets had seen too many sex romps.

En suite door fell off its hinges, curtains rotting and damp, chair collapsed, coffee cups unwashed (but hey, stacked nicely!)

And... And... Hairs in my cold breakfast!

Yuuuucccchhhhhhttttp!

Refused to pay and left. Receptionist burst out crying saying "this always happens"(!) and resigned there and then.

(Later - owner tried to put my credit card details through anyway!)

Next day booked in the Grand.

The English Riviera.

[This message has been edited by buck-rogers (edited 30 October 2000).]

SomewhereOverHere
31st Oct 2000, 01:11
Hardly anyone has mentioned Easter Europe.
Try the Apsheron in Baku. We were on the newly refurbished Executive Floor. Usual ex-Soviet system: at check-in you get a Room Card. Floor ladies guard each floor and trade your room card for a key. In the newly refurbished room, the curtains only covered two thirds of the window. The single wooden bed creaked wne you looked at it. One of the rooms stank of raw sewage. But having said that, the floor lady would do sewing and mending if you asked nicely and the towels, although tiny, worked great. They really took the water off you. A hanky-sized towel dried the whole of me !

Similar to this was the Armenia Two in Yerevan (as opposed to the Armenia One). Similar thing - arrive, they deny that you have a booking and the only room available is the Presidential Suite. Suddenly matey from the Embassy appears and, oops, they've found another room free. Dark and dingy bar, but at least they have a pool table, Russian Pool of course in which the balls are the same size as the pockets. And no decent towels.

The Planeta in Minsk, similar, paper thin walls, you can hear every grunt and broken wind in the next room. At least the hookers in the hotel bar were gorgeous, but what scared me was the biiiiiiiiiiiig mama that kept trying to get me to dance. I ran to the room, without even stopping for a towel.

Movenpick in Zurich sounds good.

Brenoch
31st Oct 2000, 20:19
Aeroflot Airport Hotel Murmansk.. And of course the Ibis at Luton.. Brrrr..

porkypig
29th Apr 2006, 12:23
Orchard Parade Hotel, Singapore

Hotel front desk staff all have a worm up their ass. Alice in wonderland when it comes to the bill, think of a number, then just add in on to the bill. If the hotel is full they add on $200 per night as compensation to them?

Getoutofmygalley
29th Apr 2006, 16:07
I so agree with those people who mentioned the Ibis Luton. The bathroom was a health hazard, you would flush the toilet and the contents of the toilet would appear on the bathroom floor from a leak somewhere in the toilets base.

The shower curtain was mouldy, the heating controls didn't work. This was back in the days that FR had 732's based at LTN, so I would get woken up at about 04:00 by the first FR departure of the day :{

The Ibis style 'continental' breakfast is the worst breakfast I have ever had. Every morning someone would start a fire with the toaster getting jammed. They should have had a nice handy BCF on standby by it :E

On one night when staying there, my group was eating in the restaurant. The meals were so bad that we asked to see the manager, he came over, we forced him to try the food - he dissappeared into the kitchen and it became an episode of 'Fawlty Towers' with the sounds of shouting and pots being chucked around :}

One night I remember hearing someone having a shag. Next morning, my group was all talking about the noise from this particular room - it turned out the shagging was going on 2 floors above mine, so the walls and floors must be paper thing :}

Thank God I don't have to stay there anymore!

Evening Star
29th Apr 2006, 17:46
One night I remember hearing someone having a shag.

Well at least somebody was enjoying the stay (although quite what they would be doing with a cormorant in the bedroom defies imagination :ok:)!

Now if we are still talking about the worse, there is an inn just outside Salisbury ... the mould on the walls was the last straw so just walked out. And it looked so good in the guidebook as well. Paradoxically, with the arrangements all to cock, rang a b&b in the guidebook and ended up in an absolutely superb place.:hmm:

IanH
29th Apr 2006, 19:08
Motel 6 at Phoenix Airport .... Damn trains blaring horns during the night every hour as they went across a level crossing near by ..... Never again !

Flight Detent
30th Apr 2006, 11:50
I wasn't impressed by either the Meridien in Kuwait City or the Meridien in Damascus, must be something about this chain!!
I agree wholeheartidly with that Didsbury Britannia Hotel in Manchester.

Didn't like the Holiday Inn in Gatwick much either, located on that busy roundabout.

Cheers, FD :ugh:

30th Apr 2006, 12:26
Chewing gum stuck on room service menu. Concierge frantically picking his nose in front of us when checking in. Which was nice.

Nadine52
1st May 2006, 04:16
One night I remember hearing someone having a shag. Next morning, my group was all talking about the noise from this particular room - it turned out the shagging was going on 2 floors above mine, so the walls and floors must be paper thing :}
Thank God I don't have to stay there anymore!

That seems to happen to me everytime. You've fallen asleep, wake up around 3;00 am and you hear *thump thump thump thump*. Thank god for earplugs!!!:}

5711N0205W
1st May 2006, 15:08
Wow a 5 1/2 year gap and this thread is resurrected.....

My vote is the HÔTEL LA COLOMBE Point Noire, one of the best hotels in the République du Congo, how do I know it was good? Well apparently only good hotels supply their own prostitutes in the bar :\

Consol
1st May 2006, 16:55
The Britannia, Manchester. First room smelled of must, second had large red stain of wine/vomit/both on carpet. Dire but comically so. Make sure to sit somewhere obvious in the restaurant as the staff will forget you are there if you are out of earshot. Pizza place there would run out of things like olives, garlic bread and most things you might put on a pizza. Staff very badly trained but many decent enough, its the management to blame in these places. Generally a very poor standard in the UK in particular and often for quite high rates.

Double Zero
19th May 2006, 01:54
Chelsea hotel, clacton.

:eek: ! Soiled sheets, a manager who looked like he'd been thrown out of chernobyl for giving a bad image, a very dubious 'massage & health centre' which seemed the focal point, don't even think about the food, no paper in the filthy shared loo, and the best bit - I heard 2 guys in the room ABOVE discussing post office raids they'd done ! I spent the night with the radio ( mine of course, none supplied ) turned off & trying to be silent in case they discovered I'd heard them !

Also an interesting view, where one could see al fresco drug dealing.

And no, it wasn't my idea to be in Clacton, let alone that 'hotel', someone who suited the place perfectly had conned me there was a good job nearby.

you can guess how that went, and on what terms we parted.

Fuel Crossfeed
19th May 2006, 10:32
The International - down a dirty smelly back street in Amritzar. Dirty, smelly rooms with a mattress 1cm thick on a wooden bed with stinking sheets - 'kin nightmare!!!

xetroV
19th May 2006, 12:41
I was about to seriously question the sanity of those who mentioned the ZHR Mövenpick, but then I saw those posts were all from the year 2000! Last time I visited that hotel, a couple of weeks ago, its rooms had very much been modernized and the 'Bob Ross' paintings in the elevators had been replaced by stainless steel modernism (I do miss those paintings, though). Luckily the bar is still there and the Mövenpick breakfast is still great. Not to mention their icecreams!

barit1
19th May 2006, 13:09
My worst night was at the Algosaibi Hotel, Al-Khobar (Dhahran). I was dead tired when I crashed on the bed - not too bad.

But when I woke it was pitch black, I couldn't find a light that worked, and after groping around for a switch I finally found one, switched it on, and a light bulb blew up in my face! At least I satified myself I hadn't gone blind.

Pitch black again. I remembered which way the window was and tried (seeking to avoid broken glass in my bare feet) to see if I could get any light. None!

Finally found the phone and managed to contact the desk. They send up someone who attempted to restore things, finally decided that I needed a new room. PS- the reason there was no light thru the window was - it faced a block wall a foot outside the room!

I'd like to find the chap who wired that room, though. :E

ARINC
22nd May 2006, 16:15
My worst night was at the Algosaibi Hotel, Al-Khobar (Dhahran).

Wonderful place quite close to the corniche and perfect for a non alcoholic nightcap after watching a stoning on the beach. :uhoh:

Who threw that...?

taffman
23rd May 2006, 12:28
Airport hotel, lagos. Took them five days to take the dead body out of the swimming pool. Never had a problem getting a sun lounger by the pool side for some reason during the five days though. :ok:

Fred Gassit
23rd May 2006, 13:02
Gateway on Horn Island, great place to get crabs, just by sleeping in the bed! Also an excellent place to lose weight, captive market unless you grab a water taxi (highly recommended!) to Thursday Island.

flight1203
1st Jun 2006, 17:29
SOME ONE SHOULD TRY NIGERIAN HOTELS MAYBE OUTSIDE LAGOS AND PORT+HARCOURT

PLEASE?:{

Tokunbo
2nd Jun 2006, 11:13
What are you trying to say? Nigeria has some bad hotels, but I've stayed in much worse in other countries including Europe. Can you give us some details, because I've stayed in some excellent hotels in Warri, Calabar, Obudu, Bauchi, Jos, Kaduna, Ibadan, Enugu, Benin.
For me the worst ones I've stayed in have been in France (which also has some of the best I've stayed in) and one in Tabriz, Iran whose name I forget, but the rooms were all very luxurious as was the restaurant, but there was no water, electricity for just a few hours (with no standby generator) and the hotel was attacked by rioters during the night and suffered extensive fire damage!

flight1203
2nd Jun 2006, 15:41
thanx for the info