PDA

View Full Version : Southern Air Inc.

Fr8Dude
13th Mar 2009, 20:34
Is southern air still in business?

Charlie_Fox
13th Mar 2009, 21:04
Yes. Plenty of activity from Brussels (for Africa West) and Liege (for Ethiopian) among others. Also doing a lot of flying to Korea.

Fr8Dude
14th Mar 2009, 01:36
Do they still have all the legal problems resovled?

Fr8Dude
14th Mar 2009, 19:32
cool, they hiring?

klipper11
14th Mar 2009, 23:21
This one?

OSHA hits Southern Air with $400K order

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has issued an order against Southern Air Inc., a cargo airline based in Norwalk, to pay more than $400,000 in lost wages, back pay, damages and legal fees to a flight crew member fired for raising safety concerns.

The unidentified employee was terminated in April 2008 for raising safety concerns protected under the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, according to OSHA, a unit of the federal Department of Labor.

The firing came after the employee twice complained to management about inadequate rest breaks and being required to work hours in excess of those allowed under Federal Aviation Administration rules, OSHA reported in its findings. The employee then filed a whistle-blower complaint with OSHA's Boston regional office.

The financial penalty breaks down into $300,000 for loss of career wages, $135,240 in compensatory damages, $7,395 in attorney fees and back pay of $1,485 per week, plus interest, from April 7, 2008, through the date of payment.

Southern Air, which was bought in 2007 by Oak Hill Capital Partners and merged with Oak Hill's Cargo 360 Inc. operation, was ordered to post the FAA whistle-blower poster and an OSHA notice to employees about their whistle-blower rights. Oak Hill has its primary investment operation in Stamford.

OSHA rules prohibit the release of whistle-blowers' names, OSHA spokesman Ted Fitzgerald said.

"We cannot release the identity of complainants," he said, adding that making the name public would discourage other workers from notifying OSHA when they encounter workplace violations at their companies.

In this matter, Fitzgerald said, OSHA has not required Southern Air to re-hire the former employee.

"In some cases, employees don't want to go back. The goal is to make the employee whole," he said.

Southern Air did not return telephone calls, and Oak Hill declined to comment on the matter, but Fitzgerald said the company has appealed the OSHA decision to Department of Labor's administrative law judge panel.

Founded in 1999 by James Neff, Southern Air operates Boeing 747-200 freighter aircraft, as well as some Boeing 777 freighters, and has flight and maintenance bases around the world. One of its major customers is Korean Air Cargo.

Oak Hill's aerospace investments include Primus International Inc., a global supplier of structural components, kits and assemblies; OH Aircraft Acquisition LLC, a new aircraft leasing company; and a portfolio of aircraft on lease to airlines around the world. It was founded as the family investment office for Texas billionaire Robert Bass.

Employees are becoming more cognizant of OSHA workplace regulations and their protection, and as the agency has increased its daily penalty fees for violations, employers are more aware of workplace issues, said attorney Robert Brody, founder and a principal of Brody & Associates, a Stamford law firm that represents management in labor matters.

"Over the last five to 10 years, OSHA has become a serious concern," he said, adding that retaliation against a company by an employee and whistle blowing are comparable, but there are some differences. "In a retaliation, an employee says my rights are being violated. A whistle blower says there's a law out there and someone is violating it."

OSHA hits Southern Air with $400K order - The Advocate (http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/norwalkadvocate/business/ci_11786157)

Fr8Dude
15th Mar 2009, 17:14
Yeah I heard they just fired a guy that they appoved for a personal LOA, after a couple of weeks in to it they sent him a termination letter because they called him back and he was not available.

Have tried talking to a few guys over there. They wont tell me anything other than "Apply at your own risk".

Yep!! Not a place I want to work anyway. :ugh:

411A
15th Mar 2009, 22:05
Seems the bad news works two ways.
I 'friend' of mine (actually, dumb as a rock, but from Texas so I can understand:}) applied for a Captains position, received type training and completed line training.
Then, the crew scheduler wanted this guy to position to Anchorage for a flight.
He says...'No, I don't do Alaska' so he was terminated on the spot.

He is now personna non grata at several airlines...bad news travels fast, make no mistake.

Fr8Dude
15th Mar 2009, 22:23
I hear you there. Well I guess its truck driving for me then. Southern Air is not in the trucking business or affiliated with one I hope. I dont want to make a mistake and end up applying to them accidentally. I mean I need work, but not that kind of work.

Fr8Dude
15th Mar 2009, 22:25
Enough pilots do what the OSHA guy did maybe they will get the message, or go out of business from too many fines. OSHA can be a bear when it come to fines.

klipper11
17th Mar 2009, 02:03
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 3:11:33 PM
To: CaptainsAndFirstOfficers; FlightEngineers
Cc: Tom Gillies; David Thiel; Gary Walsh; Jim Walsh; Judy Ackley;
Dan McCauley; Jim Neff
Subject: Crew Announcement
Auto forwarded by a Rule
To all crewmembers:

Over the past three months, it has become apparent that the recovery we all hope for is not going to begin prior to the second half of this year. As all of you are aware, our industry in particular has gotten hammere d by the current recession. Every one of us has done a great job surviving this period, even as we have watched all of our competitors either go out of business or drastically reduce their workforces. We really are the “last man standing.” We had hoped that this strategy would allow us to take advantage of an early recovery in the beginning of 2009, but this is not the case, and we have seen month after month in 2009 of hugely negative cash flows. The flying is just not there right now, and we don’t see it coming back in the next few months at least.

The result is not good news. We are going to have to furlough approximately 25 crews, strictly based on seniority per our contract. We have never, ever been the type of airline that viewed crews as a variable cost, to be hired and fired for peak seasons only. This is a very different case, and the company’s entire livelihood is at stake. We cannot continue to lose money waiting for business to return in this, the worst ever economic environment for our industry. Doing so would jeopardize the ongoing operations of the entire entity.

To those of you who will be furloughed, I tell you that Southern will be the first airline to build up its fleet again out of all of our competitors, just as we were the last ones to have to make this choice. It is my plan and hope now that this decision will be short-lived, and by the fall we will be back on our feet again and will be in a position to hire you back. To those of you who remain, please work with us to continue to give our customers great service so that when the recovery comes we will be front and center for any growth needs that they may have.

This is a tough day and a tough email to write, but please trust that we are doing everything we can to fight for the continued success of the company..

Best regards,

GlueBall
17th Mar 2009, 06:16
Founded in 1999 by James Neff, Southern Air operates Boeing 747-200 freighter aircraft, as well as some Boeing 777 freighters

Is this journo babytalk? "Founded in 1999?" . . . The Southern Air Transport AOC had its roots at a much earlier time as a CIA proprietorship.

"Boeing 777 freighters?" . . . maybe next year? :confused:

Lowrider2
17th Mar 2009, 11:08
SAI, SAT, completely different airlines; I worked for the original.:cool:

matkat
17th Mar 2009, 11:40
Lowrider me to. DC-8 fleet maintenance Stockholm,Copenhagen and Brussels.great outfit to work for back then and still remains one of the best jobs I have had, and there have been a few.

CargoMatatu
17th Mar 2009, 14:48
Me too. Loadmaster and Project Manager all over the world. :cool:

Probably the best ten years or so of my life! :ok:

Such a shame that the new version seems not to be living up to the Original's standards. :{

vipero
17th Mar 2009, 15:50
I've ramp supervised a SouthernAir C130 in 1997.

Fr8Dog
17th Mar 2009, 21:11
I dumped the lav once on an old Southern 707 in the early 80's.

fr8doggie
17th Mar 2009, 21:59
Me too. 1987-1990 Herk pilot. Best guys in the world.

vipero
18th Mar 2009, 09:08
Agree
The herk pilots were the most cooperative, friendly and peaceful ones ever seen.
The loadmaster too was a great guy. He was from Anchorage, and had a big buckle saying: "just herk don't jerk" ;)

Herkybird
23rd Mar 2009, 12:43
I too spent some time there - 11 years. It was a unique company whose niche has never been and maybe never will be again filled. Certainly not by the "New" Southern Air

slowto280
23rd Mar 2009, 13:29
Was there too, but only 4 years, mid 80's. Originally hired for the 'Millennium Vulcan' an 'older' -21 series 8, the only paint was a blue stripe and Southern Air Transport stenciled on the side. Had to open the cockpit window to let the noise out. Herc and 707 too. Good bunch of 'fellas', but then again, most non-skedders are great folks :ok: ...... management just never understands how dedicated their crews really are...... :confused:

747Flyer
23rd Mar 2009, 14:40
Can't wait to see the 777Fs in SA colours.

Any bets on when it will happen?

I'll open with "The 12th of Never"...

Po Boy
24th Mar 2009, 01:16
I'll open with "The 12th of Never"...

Good one :}

captjns
25th Mar 2009, 00:43
How about February 30th of 2010?

klipper11
25th Mar 2009, 02:03
I friend of mine at Boeing told me the deliveries will be pushed back. Maybe to the May time frame.

klipper11
8th Apr 2009, 04:48
OSHA News Release
2009 - 04/07/2009 - U.S. Labor Department's OSHA orders Southern Air Inc. to withdraw retaliatory lawsuit and pay more than $7.9 million to 9 whistleblowers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSHA News Release - Table of Contents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National News Release: 09-346-BOS
April 7, 2009
Phone: 202-693-1898 617-565-2074

U.S. Labor Department's OSHA orders Southern Air Inc. to withdraw retaliatory lawsuit and pay more than $7.9 million to 9 whistleblowers

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has ordered Southern Air Inc., a Norwalk, Conn.-based air cargo carrier, to withdraw a lawsuit it filed against nine former employees and pay them more than $7.9 million in wages, damages and legal fees.

Southern Air filed a defamation lawsuit against the former employees in Connecticut Superior Court in May 2008 after some of the workers raised air carrier safety concerns with Southern Air, OSHA and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The workers, all former flight crew members, subsequently filed a whistleblower complaint with OSHA.

OSHA's investigation found that the company's lawsuit was filed in retaliation for the workers' protected activities under the whistleblower provisions of the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century (AIR21).

"This order sends a strong and clear message that these and other workers have the right to raise safety issues with their employers and regulatory agencies without fear of retaliation and intimidation," said U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis. "The Labor Department will vigorously investigate such allegations and, where merited, order appropriate remedies for workers."

As a result of its investigation, OSHA issued a notice of findings and order to Southern Air directing the airline to do the following:

Withdraw its lawsuit.

Pay the complainants $6,004,000 in lost future earnings, $1,800,000 in compensatory damages and $129,789 in legal fees and costs.

Purge each complainant's personnel file and other records of all warnings, reprimands or derogatory references resulting from protected whistleblower activity.

Refrain from mentioning the complainants' protected whistleblower activity or conveying any damaging information in response to third party inquiries.

Provide all Southern Air crew members with copies of the FAA Whistleblower Protection Program poster and OSHA's notice to employees, and post these in each Southern Air facility.

The complainants and the airline have 30 days from receipt of the findings to file an appeal with the Labor Department's Office of Administrative Law Judges.

In addition to AIR21, OSHA administers the whistleblower provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act and other statutes protecting employees who report violations of various securities, trucking, airline, nuclear power, pipeline, environmental, rail, public transportation and consumer product safety laws. Detailed information on employee whistleblower rights is available online at Office of the Whistleblower Protection Program (OWPP) (http://www.osha.gov/dep/oia/whistleblower/index.html).

Under the OSH Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing a safe and healthful workplace for their employees. OSHA's role is to promote the safety and health of America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards; providing training, outreach and education; establishing partnerships; and encouraging continual process improvement in workplace safety and health. For more information, visit www.osha.gov (http://www.osha.gov/).

Note: The Labor Department does not release names of employees involved in whistleblower complaints.

Sleeping Freight Dog
20th Jan 2010, 20:46
First two will wear the colours of Thai Cargo and will operate exclusively for them on a 2year lease.

plantraveler
23rd Jan 2010, 06:51
its out of paint white tube light gray tail no southern air markings 774 on noise gear door and N5023Q Aircraft Registration :confused:

helldog
23rd Jan 2010, 09:37
Is it possible for non Americans to work for this company? I see their kites everywhere and after looking at their website, the company seems great and interests me very much.

klipper11
23rd Jan 2010, 12:33
N5023Q is a Boeing temp reg not the final. As of Feb 14 2009 it was used on the AF 777F

captseth
23rd Jan 2010, 12:51
There are thousands of highly qualified unemployed pilots in the US at this time. There is little chance unless you currently have the right to live and work in the US and have an FAA license.

B-HKD
25th Jan 2010, 22:26
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1680/42992279911dcd6f6037o1.jpg

Will be N774SA

helldog
26th Jan 2010, 12:40
Yeah thats fair enough.

plantraveler
13th Feb 2010, 09:47
Plane in victorville Ca going in mods

PH-SCP
13th Feb 2010, 21:15
Was there too, but only 4 years, mid 80's. Originally hired for the 'Millennium Vulcan' an 'older' -21 series 8, the only paint was a blue stripe and Southern Air Transport stenciled on the side. Had to open the cockpit window to let the noise out. Herc and 707 too. Good bunch of 'fellas', but then again, most non-skedders are great folks http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif ...... management just never understands how dedicated their crews really are...... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

In 1985 and 1986 Maastricht Airport in the Netherlands was frequently visited by Southern's 707's and L382's. Not coincidentally, N421AJ, a DC8-21 freighter was "based" at Maastricht and flew several "missions" to Israel and Iran. As time evolved, this aircraft was identified as the DC8 that operated the "Irangate" weapons from Israel to Iran...

I wonder if there is anyone on this forum willing to share more about these flights, they must have been "interesting"...

Here's a reminder of what happened back then...

1984 March 16: William Buckley, C.I.A. station chief in Beirut, is kidnapped and held by Islamic Holy War, pro-Iranian extremists, in Lebanon. May: Duane Clarridge, a C.I.A. officer who has contacts with the Nicaraguan rebels, introduces Lieut. Col. Oliver L. North, a National Security Council aide, to contra leaders in Honduras. Mr. Clarridge tells them, in effect, that if Congress cuts off aid to the contras in light of revelations that the C.I.A. mined Nicaraguan harbors, Colonel North will continue to work with the contras. May 8: The Rev. Benjamin Weir is kidnapped. Aug. 31: President Reagan's national security adviser, Robert C. McFarlane, asks Government agencies to reassess policy toward Iran. Oct. 12: Congress bans direct or indirect military aid to the contras. Dec. 3: Peter Kilburn of the American University of Beirut is kidnapped. 1985 Jan. 8: The Rev. Lawrence M. Jenco is seized. March 16: Another American, Terry A. Anderson of The Associated Press, is kidnapped in Beirut. May 3: Michael A. Ledeen, a consultant to the National Security Council, meets with Prime Minister Shimon Peres of Israel to discuss Iran. He tells Israel that Washington would approve Israeli shipments of artillery or ammunition to Iran. May 28: David P. Jacobsen of the American University Hospital in Beirut is kidnapped. June 3: Mr. Buckley dies, according to Mr. Jacobsen, who is freed in November 1986. June 9: Thomas M. Sutherland of the American University of Beirut is kidnapped. Early July: David Kimche, Director General of the Israeli Foreign Ministry, tells Mr. McFarlane that Iranian officials want to open a ''political discourse'' with the United States. Mid-July: President Reagan authorizes Mr. McFarlane to make contact with Iran. Aug. 6: Mr. McFarlane briefs Mr. Reagan on the Israeli proposal to sale American anti-tank missiles to Iran through Israel. There is dispute on whether the President approved this sale. August: The President approves the shipment of arms by Israel to Iran, according to his initial statement to the Tower Commission. Later he says ''I don't remember'' when asked about approving the shipment. Aug. 20: Israel sends 96 TOW anti-tank missiles to Iran.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8785/n421aj.jpg

Nom De Guerre
13th Feb 2010, 22:20
Ok... What am I missing in this story? That, is an Emery aircraft, says so on the side.. :confused:

The AvgasDinosaur
14th Feb 2010, 15:23
I think it is right aircraft, wrong paint scheme. Those that tread off the beaten track rarely get their picture taken:cool::cool::cool:

Be lucky
David

PH-SCP
14th Feb 2010, 19:36
Ok... What am I missing in this story? That, is an Emery aircraft, says so on the side.. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

This DC8 left the Emery fleet way before its picture was taken at MST.
It was operated by a company called Supreme Air, which, most likely, was just a postbox-company. It flew several missions to the Middle East and it's whereabouts were documented on a number of other websites. It was surely the plane used to fly the arms from Tel Aviv to Iran, there is no question there.....
Emery operated out of MST too in that period but with 63's and 73's so this 21 blended in nicely. A well chosen camouflage, even the titles were only partly washed out.. Great job, nobody suspected anything :ok:

I agree it may be a little off-topic and I apologize for that but the Southern Air topic made me think of those cowboy operations.

The AvgasDinosaur
15th Feb 2010, 09:50
Quote by PH-SCP This DC8 left the Emery fleet way before its picture was taken at MST.
It was operated by a company called Supreme Air, which, most likely, was just a postbox-company. It flew several missions to the Middle East and it's whereabouts were documented on a number of other websites. It was surely the plane used to fly the arms from Tel Aviv to Iran, there is no question there.....
Emery operated out of MST too in that period but with 63's and 73's so this 21 blended in nicely. A well chosen camouflage, even the titles were only partly washed out.. Great job, nobody suspected anything

I agree it may be a little off-topic and I apologize for that but the Southern Air topic made me think of those cowboy operations.
It should be c/n 45421 and was apparently broken up in Johannesburg September 1989 as S9-NAB
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

PH-SCP
15th Feb 2010, 13:31
45421 is correct, same airplane as in the picture.

plantraveler
16th Feb 2010, 07:22
Moved to paint hanger on sunday

boink105
16th Feb 2010, 09:44
N421AJ was a -30 EX JAL then turned up at Rosenbalm Aviation and converted to a frieghter. I flew it for years. had extended range tanks and a loran. you could go anywhere:}. When Rosenbalm started flying for Emery they wanted it painted. So that's when it got it's first coat of paint in years. After the stageIII noise limits went into place poor 'ol AJ had to find a new home. after it left Rosie i don't know where she went but was always a good old girl:D

plantraveler
19th Feb 2010, 05:38
painted in thai airways

PH-SCP
19th Feb 2010, 07:46
Here's a picture of N774SA, courtesy of www.skyliner-aviation.de (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de)

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1134/n774sa.jpg

Looks great !

plantraveler
3rd Mar 2010, 07:13
Second 777F delivered to southern air on Tuesday

cactusbusdrvr
6th Mar 2010, 05:50
I worked for Jetway/Mark Air Transport out of YIP from 1978 to 1980. I was in KCK (Kansas City Fairfax) one day when 421AJ came in over the dyke between the Missouri River and the runway. That was one scary piece of flying. I was told that 421AJ couldn't be painted because the mechanics needed to be able to check on the amount of corrosion a DC 8 could have and still be airworthy! Tongue in cheek, I'm sure but that was one ratty looking freighter.

zerozero
6th Mar 2010, 17:23
Any word on why 744SA has been parked in Anchorage for the last couple of days?

nivsy
18th Feb 2012, 14:20
Has Southern Air recently acquired a B747 (ex Air New Zealand) for possible contract work in Europe - maybe UK?

Nivsy

ErwinS
18th Feb 2012, 15:13
Yes N469AC is a former ANZ 744.

Charlie_Fox
19th Feb 2012, 08:01
Heard they'll be operating out of Brize Norton from March.