PDA

View Full Version : Op on the nose!

9238RJ98
12th Mar 2009, 20:08
Ladies & Gents,

I'm scheduled to have a nasal scrape out (sorry for the distinctly un-medical approach) that will involve a general (overnight stay in hospital) and a gentleman digging around in the nasal passages. I'm just a PPL is this something that the CAA need to know? I'm not worried about telling them but is it necessary?

Can you please let me know & sorry if this has already been asked I did a search but to no avail.

Chilli Corneto
12th Mar 2009, 23:52
I think it is prudent to notify the CAA about it. As a rule I would notify them if I had to have any operation which would require either a local or general aneasthetic. They'll know best whether it will be of any importance or not. They might suspend your medical status untill your AME can clear you back to flying status and I would avoid flying untill that happens. Even as SLF. You don't want sore sinuses / nasal cavaties in the air.

I doubt it will have any serious implications so I wouldn't worry about telling them. They're friendly and will be more than accommodating and helpful to you. If anything they will probably put your mind at ease.

Chilli.

9238RJ98
14th Mar 2009, 18:53
Chilli,

Thanks - you've echoed my feelings. Things are much clearer and so I have no concerns about SLF (I have to go on a trip n a few days time so if my head explodes then you were right!).

I'll check with Aviation House.

Cheers

harrowing
18th Mar 2009, 14:35
I had my nasal rebore done a year ago. My AME said the Aussie minimum was two weeks away from flying, and on my two week inspection said within thirty seconds another week off was required.
I had very full sinus cavities and blocked tubes, and had been having a couple of days off for URTI/blocked nose every week for a few weeks. This was due partly to a very bent septum from a childhood accident. Depending on the reason for the operation may determine whether you really need it done. Some say yea and some say nay. The AME also said the downside was that often the benefits only last for five to six years before a repeat is needed.
The first week after my overnighter in hospital was moderately painful with me feeling not very energetic, with two nurofen every six hours and wishing it could have been every four.
Other advice from friends who have had it done is only do it if you really need it. My sense of smell and taste also changed a little. Sniffing a red after it was done almost knocked me over as the pollyps (spelling?) removed exposed a few more of the sensors up my nose.
I hope that helps.
Cheers from downunder

Bob the Doc
22nd Mar 2009, 20:23
Different things in discussion here.

First, flying after a general anaesthetic...Check with the CAA for official guidance but we generally advise (and I am an anaesthetist) 48 hours off driving following a general. You should be fine in a few hours but that is the advice we give.

Second, flying after Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) or siimilar. This is likely to be dependent on ongoing symptoms and those effects. Obviously anything that is distracting should make you unfit to fly (like pain). If the post-op swelling (and there is likely to be some) blocks your Eustacian tubes (connecting nose to ear), you won't be able to clear your ears which would also make you unfit. You may also find your balance is affected for a few days or more which has obvious implications for flying (although I'm sure you check your instruments and visual horizon to make sure you are straight and level!).

People are different and so it is difficult to have definite advice in these cases. The CAA will probably have a blanket time for which you should not fly but may well require a visit to an AME before allowing you to fly again. Your post-op check up with your surgeon may be sufficient.

Hope that helps

Bob