PDA

View Full Version : Tucano Down at Linton (Pilot OK)

bluetail
12th Mar 2009, 15:10
Currently on another site is a report that a Tucano has gone down at Linton this afternoon, Pilot reported to have ejected at low level, but is reported as OK

muppetofthenorth
12th Mar 2009, 15:17
BBC report: BBC NEWS | England | North Yorkshire | Pilot injured as aircraft crashes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7939768.stm)

medihell
12th Mar 2009, 15:25
Just seen the Yorkshire Air Ambulance land on scene followed 25 mins later by SAR.

Ivor Fynn
12th Mar 2009, 16:09
God bless Martin-Baker:D:D:D

Been there, done it - it hurts!!

Ivor

mr fish
12th Mar 2009, 16:10
"pilot taken to QMC NOTTINGHAM".
probably laying on a trolly in a forgotten corner as we speak, wondering when he will be treated.
oh, and thinking "why can i smell pizza"?

QUEENS MEDICAL CENTRE, the only hospital with a pizza emporium in the foyer!!!!
a shocking, dump of a hospital!!!:(

p.s, i of course hope he is well soon:ok:

MostlyHarmless
12th Mar 2009, 16:53
Must have changed considerably since I was there having my back re-assembled :suspect:

5 Forward 6 Back
12th Mar 2009, 16:54
Pilot named by BBC. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7939768.stm)

Get well soon!

Bob Viking
12th Mar 2009, 17:05
Odd that his name's got out so quick.
Careless talk....
Walls have ears and all that!
BV:oh:

soddim
12th Mar 2009, 17:17
Assuming NOK all informed it is good that his name is released quickly - it means that all the other Tucano pilots relatives and friends need not be concerned.

comedyjock
12th Mar 2009, 17:30
Looks like he was meant to be the 2009 Tucano display pilot

RAF Tucano Display Team - News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/news/index.cfm?storyid=77A4D865-1143-D71E-465A2880CB84907D)

Flap62
12th Mar 2009, 17:39
Not many people have had that carreer path - Harrier - GR4 - Tucano!!!

waddingtonpete
12th Mar 2009, 17:52
One less for the line tomorrow
:=
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7157

Tucano Crash 12th March 09 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7157)

Monty77
12th Mar 2009, 17:56
Understand the Tucano bit.

Don't understand the Harrier to GR4 bit.

Lack of single seat slots at the time?

Could be the last?
12th Mar 2009, 17:59
So Flap,

What are you trying to say??????

TEEEJ
12th Mar 2009, 18:06
Wishing the pilot a speedy recovery.

Some images recorded after the ejection.

Tucano Crash 12th March 09 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7157)

exscribbler
12th Mar 2009, 18:22
Let's hope the pilot recovers very quickly. I'm sure that SAR Sea King is the one which flew over my house at 1300 today. It was good to see it as we don't get many military aircraft in this part of the People's Republic...

Hangar_9
12th Mar 2009, 18:41
Where does that leave the 2009 tucano dispaly then? :}

Spanish Waltzer
12th Mar 2009, 18:50
Interesting pictures on the link from TEEEJ. Airframe looks almost totally intact with a few obvious exceptions (prop and ejection seat to name two!). Obviously have no idea what went wrong but from the images one could suggest he almost got away with it...or did a fantastic job flying the aircraft before pulling the yellow and black!

Glad to hear pilot on the road to recovery. No doubt he'll have a good story to tell in the bar once the excitement has died down and to the grandchildren in a few years!

SW

Green Flash
12th Mar 2009, 18:58
Where does that leave the 2009 tucano dispaly then?

If he makes a full recovery, (and here's hoping he's back in the wide blue yonder in very short order) then he will probably be given the chance to carry on, if everyones happy with it. If not, then whoever came second in the selection will be brought up to speed.

PS Lets hear it again for those wizards at Martin Baker :D:ok:

PPS Very sadly, it reminds me of a JP3 crash in allmost the same part of the airfield in the early 1980's. I believe it was a JP display practise; unfortunately the pilot died. (Perhaps someone can confirm this?)

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2009, 20:09
A JP display pilot crashed at Linton in the spring of 1977.

I remember that one because it was the day before I arrived to begin my BFTS course on the aircraft.

The pilot didn't die but he was very severely injured and I don't think he ever recovered. The SMO got a bravery award for digging in the earth down to the pilot and performing a tracheaotomy on him in situ, which saved his life (aircraft was inverted, with him still strapped into the live ejection seat).

Something in the depths of my memory also tells me there may have been yet another aeros accident later, perhaps the one previously referred to.

Wrathmonk
12th Mar 2009, 21:31
Has there been a change in the rules of late regarding naming those involved in non-fatal accidents. I saw in the RAF News they named both occupants from the Harrier crash in Cyprus and were very quick to name the chap today. Whilst I know people will say that families of all the other Tucano pilots can rest easy by naming the individual today but it certainly didn't used to be the case (regardless of whether informing net of kin had taken place or not). Is this just a result of everyman and his dog having mobile comms so its easier to quash rumour control early?

Airborne Aircrew
12th Mar 2009, 22:24
What is going on with this site? People don't half write some complete cr*p and make some stupid comments..

I say Sir, that's a bit strong... On the three occasions I found it necessary to eject, my name was never posted on the internet within hours of the event.

Are we to assume that you made the Harrier to GR4 transition with bells on?

SAR Bloke
12th Mar 2009, 22:25
If you are worried about the quality of what is written here, why do you choose to add to it with more crap and another stupid comment? (not aimed at you AA)

H Peacock
12th Mar 2009, 22:35
Strange photos of the ac after the accident minus the prop. Wonder if it was a prop or gearbox failure? Some very high gyroscopic loads on the front of a Tucano during aerobatics. Clearly a successful use of the aircraft jettison handle!!

RileyDove
12th Mar 2009, 22:44
H Peacock - I should imagine there is a good chance of the gearbox shattering on impact with the ground allowing the prop to go flying away.

alwayslookingup
13th Mar 2009, 00:03
Ref Post 19 by Green Flash

MAAS, RAF Jet Provost T5A XW288, 17 May 1982 PDF [519.4 KB] (http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/34CF4C33-8FCF-454E-901E-27014D433E99/0/maas82_08_jetprovost_t5a_xw288_17may82.pdf)

This was the ninth Jet provost incident Between 05.08.80 and this date, nine incidents in 21 months, one every three months. This one (XW288) very sad.

Bob Viking
13th Mar 2009, 03:38
Insider knowledge!
BV;)

TheShadow
13th Mar 2009, 11:47
Is Bludaxe still flying the Tincano at Linton?

Green Flash
13th Mar 2009, 12:52
alwayslookingup - many thanks, that was the one. I remember it as I was on duty at Linton that day but didn't actually see it - view was blocked by the Fire Section (although we all heard/felt the thud). The motorbike in question was a friends enduro bike that was parked against one of the hanger offices where it was struck by debris. That was a bad time for accidents as alwayslookingup mentions. Too many good men were lost.

sunshine band
14th Mar 2009, 08:31
I heard the Grade 1 diversion call come out on Guard for 3 Tucanos, including LOP01 - he must have been quite interested in what was going on and will have been racing straight down to Toppers to get on the telephone back to Linton...

Glad to hear that the pilot is OK.

SB

5 Forward 6 Back
14th Mar 2009, 11:18
TheShadow- no, he retired some time ago.

ericferret
14th Mar 2009, 13:17
I remember the JP in '77 because I was changing a main gearbox on one of 666 sqdns Siouxs at Topcliffe and we sent another over to Linton to take aerial photos for the accident investigators. Hadn't thought about that in a coons age!!!!!!!

BluntM8
14th Mar 2009, 13:23
What a spectactularly offensive turn of phrase.

Molemot
14th Mar 2009, 14:05
No it isn't....
What's the origin of "coon's age"?

May 25, 2004
Dear Straight Dope:
Where does the expression "coon's age" originate? Is it a racial reference or does it actually pertain to raccoons?
— LDziurda
It actually refers to raccoons. The expression "in a coon's age" dates to the early 1800s, and to the folk belief that raccoons are long-lived. My pal Colibri of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board says, "References differ, but a wild individual raccoon might live up to 5 to 7 years (average survival being much lower, though, probably 2-3 years), and in captivity they can live up to 14-17 years. So their lifespan is comparable to that of a dog."
In the early 1800s, it's doubtful if anyone knew how long raccoons actually lived, and two to three years in the wild is not really very long. But raccoon fur is hardy and reasonably durable, which might have given rise to the belief of longevity.
Many slang terms use the term "coon" to mean raccoon. Their black eye-mask and nocturnal habits suggest anthropomorphic parallels, so we get the term "coon" meaning to steal or pilfer, for instance. The word also was used in the 1830s to mean a rustic, a country-bumpkin. In 1840, the coon was the figurehead of the Whig Party. (Where are the Whigs now when we need them?)

Tex37
14th Mar 2009, 22:36
Wow! I have viewed these forums for a while

And thankfully only post once every 2 years.........

Monty77
17th Mar 2009, 16:11
spectactularly :

A pompous attempt at using a really big word to impress others whilst achieving the opposite effect. Being 'Right on', when you're not right and there's nothing going on is not big or clever.

I am angrificated by your twatificallity. You're not GW are you?

Anyone else prepared to responcify:ugh:?

Gnd
17th Mar 2009, 17:10
Indubitably old chap – what he said!!!!:D

Monty77
17th Mar 2009, 17:32
You can get compensatorified for that.

Isn't it.

Mwahh ha ha ha etc.

Arse. ****. Nuns.

Note the punctuation. Very post-Orwellian, dontcha think?

Monty77
17th Mar 2009, 17:59
Oh, look what just happened.

Crap post removed by chastened poster rendering all thereafter illogical.

Well done bluntmate. You are blunt. And a blackboard is still a blackboard, because it is black and it is a board, just like my arse is an arse, a white arse, and therefore by definition, a white arse.

Am I sorry? For what? Keep your venom for what really matters. In my experience of the military, they are actually more tolerant of race and religion than civilian equivalents. You are judged on how good you are at your job, not on the fact that you pray/wear a turban etc. And long may it remain so.

AIRCRAFTSNAPPER
18th Mar 2009, 00:44
Any Chance Of Deleting Monty 77 Last Three Entry's They Are All Demeaning To Our Site

TEEEJ
19th Mar 2009, 20:16
The Tucano display for 2009 has been cancelled.

RAF Tucano 2009 - Cancelled (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7446)

TJ

Hummingfrog
19th Mar 2009, 22:17
The pilot of the JP5A XW288 was my best man and there was always a thought that the weather that day was not really suitable for a display practice.:(

Pleased to see that the Tucano pilot is safe and well.

RIP RR

HF

wingcmdr
19th Mar 2009, 22:34
Well I never !!!:\

Pilot is a friend of a youngster I know and for what it is worth I am over the moon that the chap is OK (albeit a little shorter)

Well done young man for surviving and being able to fly another day.:ok:

Probably something that most of the "experts" quoted so far have not and will not experience (air crew / flying types excepted)

Blame is a game played by those who are not holding a dead stick.

Good luck on the recovery and get back in the saddle as soon as possible

Cheers

JAR FCL
20th Mar 2009, 14:17
It appears that no decision has yet been made on the Tucano display season.

RAF Tucano Display Team - News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/news/index.cfm?storyid=0EFC12E2-1143-EC82-2EFAA5B1CE203E3C)

Will people please stick to the facts.

:rolleyes:

jimgriff
20th Mar 2009, 14:37
The Tucano is fitted with either the Martin Baker 8LC or the BR8LC seat.
Can anyone tell me what the differnce between them is?
Thanks in advance!

frodo_monkey
20th Mar 2009, 15:20
The Tucano is fitted with either the Martin Baker 8LC or the BR8LC seat.
Can anyone tell me what the differnce between them is?
Thanks in advance!

Is it 'horns' vs 'knives' on top? Can't remember...

Benjybh
20th Mar 2009, 15:48
It appears that no decision has yet been made on the Tucano display season.

RAF Tucano Display Team - News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/news/index.cfm?storyid=0EFC12E2-1143-EC82-2EFAA5B1CE203E3C)

Will people please stick to the facts.

:rolleyes:

It is, and I am sticking to the facts. Once again, check Here (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7446)

'Light Blue Spy' is the RAF Events Manager, Sqn Ldr Andy Pawsey. :ok:

Al R
21st Mar 2009, 07:23
Who on earth was behind the decision to start responding to 'rumours circulating on other websites'?

H Peacock
21st Mar 2009, 08:53
Is it 'horns' vs 'knives' on top? Can't remember...

I seem to recall it was knives fitted to the front seat and horns on the rear.

Arty Fufkin
21st Mar 2009, 10:05
Knives on the front to separate the two halves of the perspex once the Linear Cutting Cord had done it's biz. The rear seat has much smaller "horns" as the rear cockpit uses MDC to shatter the transparency.

Talk Reaction
21st Mar 2009, 11:03
'Knives' on the front to break the transparency IF the LCC fails. Rear transparency much thinner and can be easily broken so no 'knives' needed.

Arty Fufkin
21st Mar 2009, 12:08
Really? I thought the seat would always have to force its way up betwwen the two halves of the canopy as the LCC only cut the perspex, it didn't move it out of the way or shatter it as with the MDC'd rear.(E shaped LCC cut in the air Vs D shape on the ground using the emergency canopy shattering handle thingy No matter how long the "knives" though, I wouldn't have fancied barging my way through that thickness of plastic if the LCC failed. Maybe thats why everyone used to stuff so much stuff in their kneeboards!!

H Peacock
21st Mar 2009, 14:02
Knives on the front to separate the two halves of the perspex once the Linear Cutting Cord had done it's biz

No, Talk Reaction is correct, the knives are primarily for use in the event that the LCC fails to operate correctly.

5 Forward 6 Back
21st Mar 2009, 14:59
At normal planned ejection speeds, the idea was that the LCC burned the perspex down to something like 1/32" thickness, and the airflow "should" open it up like a pair of doors to let you through. The knives were there to smash your way through if it failed.

The aircrew manual did say something like "there is a significant likelihood of serious injury to the front seat occupant from canopy shards following any ejection." Glad I never tried it!!

OutOfThisWorld
21st Mar 2009, 16:25
'Light Blue Spy' is the RAF Events Manager, Sqn Ldr Andy Pawsey.

I would have thought that the RAF Events Manager could/should have published this information via more official channels, rather than on a rumour network.

The hard work starts long before the display season starts and I just hope that the team were involved in the decision.

Talk Reaction
21st Mar 2009, 18:34
I agree that the air show website should be the last place he posts after the RAF website and within that the teams website - doesn't look the most professional.

re whether or not the team were involved in the decision - get real, I'm pretty sure they didn't find out the way the rest of us have. How much influence they had on said decision is a different matter but its not their train set at the end of the day.....

TEEEJ
22nd Mar 2009, 14:35
Image of the display Tucano scheme at the following link. Image number 19.

Linton Reds and new Tucano Special Mar 09 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7566)

TJ

Arthur Rowe
22nd Mar 2009, 15:17
IIRC there were two JP accidents during low level aero display practices, both at Linton. One involved the barrel roll, shown at Post 27, where it was thought a poor horizon led to the pilot not raising the nose enough before he started rolling, with the result that the aircraft descended during the second half of the manoeuvre, leaving insufficient height to recover.

The other accident was again when an aerobatic display practice was flown with a poor horizon, this one involving a stall turn. The pilot pulled up with one wing low and attempted to stall turn towards the high wing. The stall turn was not completed with enough height for the pilot to pull out of the ensuing descent.

After the first accident barrel rolls were banned for a while. After the second stall turns were banned for a while. The real lesson is not to practise low level aeros unless the weather conditions are suitable, for authorising officers to take weather conditions into account and for nobody to put pressure on them to get the job done in marginal conditions.

bloodaxe
25th Mar 2009, 19:23
No, I retired almost 2 years ago and am happily blocking the motorways and byways up in my motorhome as often as possible. I still keep in touch with 72 Sqn as I am still the Sqn Historian as the old boys of the Association are such terrific characters. Don't miss the flying a bit, but I suppose just surviving from age 16 when I started flying gliders in the ATC to age 60 when I gave up is a reasonable record. Like the rest of this thread - good on Martin Baker and no, I don't know what is happening with the Tucano display for 2009.

TEEEJ
26th Mar 2009, 00:49
Now updated on the website

'2009 Display Cancelled

Following a pre-display season training accident, during which the display pilot successfully ejected, the Air Officer Commanding 22 Group has formally cancelled the Tucano Display for the 2009 season which we understand will be disappointing for a great many people. However, the Tucano will not be entirely absent from the display circuit as it will perform a number of static displays that will be announced in due course. The display pilot, Flt Lt Rutland has been released from hospital and continues his recovery at home.'

RAF Tucano Display Team - News (http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/news/index.cfm?storyid=32787BB4-1143-EC82-2ECCA90CA14B76EB)