PDA

View Full Version : Don't get sick at EK

Mister Warning
12th Mar 2009, 11:44
Well we all saw this coming....
Max 2 days self-certified sick per month (previously no limit).
No going sick before or after leave or you will be punished!
Ho hum, reading about our conditions being degraded is so boring.
Hopefully the ASR's for fatigue and the docs happy to certify for fatigue will send the message before the smokin' hole does.

Fart Master
12th Mar 2009, 12:49
The wank*rs in management were obviously becoming bored, since it's been at least 2 weeks since they f**ked us up the a**.:mad:

Cowards and bullies, that's all they are, oh well just press 2 on the 2nd last day of the month for 2 days SK, then again on the 1st of the next month for another 2 days.:bored:

Was Ed the moron in NWA, as I see there is a NWA reunion on the crew portal

halas
12th Mar 2009, 15:15
I'm glad you pointed that out. I thought it was a QANTAS reunion.

Honestly don't read anything from a talking horse, let alone one with mad-cows disease.

Thanks

halas

Marooned
12th Mar 2009, 17:34
NB: Sick is different from being fatigued.

If you're roster is pushing you East and West, ULR/turnarounds and whatever else these so called managers have us do but have never done themselves, with only 8 days off a month for the privilege of having a job: go 'fatigued' and file an ASR! They can be submitted at any time and make sure they know why.

Forget the BMI, we're on the 'F' plan; Fly, Fatigued and Fueked by the poachers turned game keepers who know better but are spineless the end result of which will be a smoking hole.

5star
12th Mar 2009, 17:53
I choked in my coffee while reading it. What the F***.:ugh:
Again a big bucket of cr@p from our management.
To all the shafters up there in the big BS castle : you guys are digging yourself a big big hole. You really really think you are dealing with dumb camels are you?

They really think they can get way with anything...
Well... at least my wife will be happy. The time we intend to spend just got shortened by another 5 years. Thanks. makes it o so easy now.

Fart Master
12th Mar 2009, 18:24
The whole thing is hardly surprising from the spineless shower of sh*ts.......

They screw around with our rosters, we have no representation, so what do people do..... they go sick to redress the balance, so what do the kn*bs do..... they screw around with our sickness policy, what's next:mad:

trimotor
12th Mar 2009, 18:31
Get over yourselves...it's not great, but it's not actually new either..the 48 hours and sick day recovery processes, for a start, are in my 2006 FOM, and the absent from duty thing has always been applied..

Mister Warning
12th Mar 2009, 19:24
Trimotor,
Better re-read that FOM before your upgrade!
The two days per month rule is new and not to be confused with the previous 48 hrs max self certified. :ugh:
MW.

halas
13th Mar 2009, 01:37
Morale a make or break issue for airlines

Steve Creedy | March 13, 2009

Article from: The Australian

GREG Bamber has a simple and often ignored message for airline executives: treat your people well and it will pay dividends.

The director of research at Monash University's Department of Management argues that airlines that engage with their workers provide a better return to investors, as well as higher quality and more reliable services.

He is today releasing a book examining airline employment practices in North America, Asia, Australia and Europe.

Professor Bamber and his co-authors -- Jody Hoffer Gitell, Thomas A.Kochan and Andrew von Nordenflycht -- looked at legacy and low-cost carriers in researching Up In the Air: How Airlines Can Improve Performance by Engaging their Employees.

Teams of people based at universities around the world made case studies about airlines during the research.

"We've ... had a lot of quantitative data. We've been able to draw material from the international civil aviation authority, for example, much of which has been unpublished or not analysed in the past," Professor Bamber said.

The researchers found that where airline staff and customers reported high and rising frustration about the way they were treated this often resulted in cuts to services and staff.

Falling morale led to increased problems, such as flight delays and baggage loss, that undermined a carrier's viability.

Professor Bamber believes too many airline executives and unionists assume that adversarial industrial relations are inevitable.

He advocates instead a "virtuous circle" where more can be achieved with co-operative industrial relations.

"It's an appropriate strategy for airlines to get into and, indeed, other businesses, particularly those involved in serving customers, as many enterprises do," he said.

The Melbourne academic argues that employee relations in legacy airlines often stem from their origins.

He notes that many were founded by pilots who had been demobilised after World War I and run on military principles. He points to Lufthansa and Continental Airlines as examples of legacy carriers that have benefited from good or improving employee relations.

"Continental was very lean and mean and nasty to its employees under a previous regime and we include some detail of its transformation," he says.

"It went into bankruptcy and was relaunched with a new approach that aims to be much more engaging with its staff. It's working with its staff rather than hitting them with a battering ram and it's been much more successful in its new incarnation.

"Similarly, in Europe, Lufthansa has been more successful than, say, British Airways. Lufthansa has sought to work with its people to a greater extent. (It has) ... councils and other forms of employee participation in decision-making to a much greater extent than British Airways, which has been following a more adversarial tradition, which has been typical of the English-speaking countries."

There are also differences in the new breed of low-cost carriers typically started by flamboyant entrepreneurs.

The Monash academic points to the differences between Dublin-based Ryanair, which does not treat its employees particularly well, and US carrier Southwest. He notes that Ryanair's reputation for not treating staff or customers well has not stopped it from eating into the legacy market in Europe.

But Southwest has also prospered.

"And it treats its people very differently," he says. "It's fostered employees engagement and employee commitment and participative decision-making. It has a very partnership-oriented approach in dealing with the unions that represent its people and it's been the most consistently financially successful airline in the US since its foundation in the early 1970s.

"So they are two polar opposites -- Ryanair and Southwest."

Professor Bamber questions the extent to which the Ryanair model will be sustainable in the long run. He says customers have been annoyed and alienated, while staff are largely disgruntled. "And that might come back to bite them."

halas

Marooned
13th Mar 2009, 05:32
Halas: If only... it doesn't have to be the way it is... I know, we all know that we would achieve much, much more with a different approach. But without any direct representation we're unlikely to see any change in the stick and more stick we get now.

To the thread: I don't think the sickness issue is one of previous abuses more than one of crewing being cut to levels where any sicknesses will cancel flights.

To look at it another way; if they work this way and schedule us the way they are then the impact of any sicknesses will have even greater effect... so the net result of increased duty time, less rest and more fatigue related + 'normal' sickness will ground flights. :D

fourgolds
13th Mar 2009, 06:42
What is being overlooked here again as usual is safety. You may well get those amongst us that are intimidated, and are really sick. The net result is to operate when actually unfit ( hey a senior F/O up for command wont want to compromise things now would he).

Reminds me of a flight I did when a memeber of the cabin crew told me just after airborne she was feeling a little ill. The net result is she was stood down for the remainder of the flight. She told me that she did not want to be marked absent , in addition she felt that its easier for the doctor to come visit her in the comfort of her hotel room than to go through the painfull process of trying to book an appointment at the clinic / be marked absent/ disciplinary etc.

You can say what you like if you intimidate then people will think around your rule.

Lets see " should I be marked absent / face a disciplinary / have my roster adjusted ad hoc / try to get an appointment at the clinic / go through all the traffic to the said appointment etc etc. " or ' should I get ill on board , now covered by industrial sickness programm , get to the hotel and have a doctor come visit me in my hotel room , heck I can even choose to do this at a really nice destination where I get the best medical care and extend my layover. "

All good and well , but what if the condition is slightly worse than a stomach bug. Lets say its a pending apppendix problem. They choose to fly as they are scared. Half way to Perth ( boom) . sorry for you !!!!

Now management have blood on their hands !!!!

Keith Discovering
13th Mar 2009, 07:24
I was asked to contact Fleet management a few weeks ago as they 'noticed a trend' of my calling sick, and they wondered if 'I was OK'. They 'suggested' that in my case I get the Dr to authorise myself sick', even for the 2 days we can self auth:suspect:. I asked if this was a new policy, but the answer was 'no, but in your case, you might like to consdier seeing a Dr, in case there's a trend'. Well my 'trend' was going sick for two night flights over a 6 week period.

I checked my time off sick on the portal and it averages three days per year over three years. :mad:

mensaboy
13th Mar 2009, 07:45
By the way, never ever call in sick before midnight for a duty the next day. They will mark you sick for 2 days even though you were scheduled to work only one of the days. In other words, they mark you sick in spite of the fact it was an OFF or REST day.

So now, if i'm sick for an early morning departure, I call them after midnight and let them scramble to fill the seat. When they say I am required to give 4 hours notice, I tell them I was not feeling sick when I went to bed, but I was sick when I woke up.

Schibulsky
13th Mar 2009, 08:19
Halas, nice article, but if you show this to AAR he would not see the point at all :confused:
That goes for the whole bunch of clowns who are running the show as well.
Any relationship between how you treat your workforce and the resulting quality of work is a concept that is completely ignored by them.
Its "we pay-you work" and "take it or leave it"!
And after worked 20 years for the Lufthansa Group, I must tell you that the mentioned days are sadly over. The once productive relationship between an "old style" management and a dedicated workforce, both proud to be part of an "Airline family", is history.
Its replaced by the new breed of cynical executives who are eager to screw everybody to please the share holders.

But back to the sick issue;)
My average sick rate used to be <1 day/year (either too healthy or too stupid) but somehow it increased rapidly:eek:
The good news is that our doctors are not the extended arm of the management and they are taking fatigue issues really seriously.
So make the additional effort and see a professional who is only responsible for your personal state of health. :ok:

Like eklawer said, if they want a war...play by the (changing) rules...and :mad: them hard:E

...see you soon at a "sleeping lab" in town :p

fatbus
13th Mar 2009, 08:33
Along the same thing as EK lawyer said, if you are not fit to fly then DONT FLY period. Go to the clinic for your own peace of mind. That will have more impact than than just talking about here on pprune.

This whole sickness thing is another attack on the small number of guys how book off every weekend and commuters

dubaiwilli
13th Mar 2009, 12:51
I feel sorry for you guys but it will getting even more woth .....

Don t forget they are ar....bs and the management is only in the ME bacause they have been not good enough for the rest of the world.

It s same with the great ex ans... australian pilots !

Have fun !

411A
13th Mar 2009, 14:38
Odd, it might seem to the casual observer....but in smaller companies, employee morale is far better.
We had one pilot report sick for one month, with a doctors certificate of course, yet he was paid his full salary, and...end of contract bonus.
Senior Captains are paid big bucks, and not just during the contract, either.
They are paid a retainer during non-flying periods as well, to ensure their availability when the next contract is issued...and that can be on very short notice.
First Officers, likewise.
Flight Engineers, ditto.
Ground Engineers? Yup.

Generally speaking, the larger the airline company becomes, the less FD crew are treated with the respect they deserve.
And, it ain't likely to change, anytime soon.:}

TurboDAWG
13th Mar 2009, 15:16
EK is starting to resemble a crap regional airline back in the US. With Crap work rules and even worse QOL. (Quality Of Life)

Oh and Don't call in sick :yuk: less than 4 hours Prior. Thats an auto ABSENT. What a crock of ..... (fill in the blanks)

Genuises...:D

-Turbo

PositiveRate876
13th Mar 2009, 15:29
Daytime, go to the Clinic, I have a headache, so what, if they don't have enough doctors tough.

Give them all the certificates they want, the clinic has not the budget for another one of Ed's Policies.

EK Lawyer, have you tried to see a doctor lately without making an appointment at least 2 weeks in advance?

I was (legimately) sick the other day and it's not a battle you want to go through when you're sick. Was told to come in for 'emergency appointment' at 9AM. After showing up was told, sorry, no doctors available, but you can come back in 12 days.

After making it clear to the receptioist that I will stand over her counter and cough in her face until a doctor sees me, I was admitted at 230PM!

The clinics can't handle the workload as is, and the new policy will only make it worse.

PositiveRate876
13th Mar 2009, 15:38
See the chain of events as you described it requires logical thinking.
Something that I have not seen from current Fleet policy makers.

Schibulsky
13th Mar 2009, 16:17
...another moral of the story:
If you have to go through all that crap to get a certificate,
make it worth the effort and try to get at least a week sick leave:ok:

White Knight
13th Mar 2009, 17:26
Actually Muttley I (or my wife) have often insisted that we take our often injured sons (boys will be boys) to the KV Walk-in Welcare, even when the clinic is open.. The nurses are the ones to speak to, they know there's no chance of getting a doc appt on the day... They are actually some of the most sensible employees in the whole of EK - go nurses go:ok::ok:

BYMONEK
13th Mar 2009, 21:38
Abso bloody lutely

Put the ball back into their court. If the clinic is full, ring your fleet manager or, in the very unlikely event she might not be available :rolleyes:, call the FDM. Politely ask them what they would like you to do. There is no way on this earth i'm parting with 700 sticky ones to get a friggin certificate.

Regarding the 4 hour rule..............how very pathetic! :=

Game on!

yankeefly
14th Mar 2009, 06:03
"I feel sorry for you guys but it will getting even more woth .....

Don t forget they are ar....bs and the management is only in the ME bacause they have been not good enough for the rest of the world.

It s same with the great ex ans... australian pilots !"

I don't think it is appropriate to generalize about pilots like that. Some guys from there (Ans Aus) are fine folks to work with. My humble opinion...

Btw, I have only been here a short time, but I must say I am very skeptical about these "managers" that come from the outside and are completely out of touch with their subordinates. :(

YF

Gulf News
14th Mar 2009, 06:27
Let us have a hypothetical shall we.

First Officer A is scheduled to operate a morning flight to Europe with a sign on of 06:00. He has a good nights sleep but wakes up with sticky eyes when his alarm goes off at 05:15 . A condition he recognizes as conjunctivitis Conjunctivitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctivitis) . He recognizes the symptoms because both he, his spouse and children have all suffered it at least once since arriving in the dust strewn paradise that is Dubai.

Pilot A has waited 3 long years for his upgrade and will have to wait a bit longer because there are no promotions at present but he is close to the top of the list and will be having his command review in a few weeks. The last thing he wants is an absent day on his record but according to the new policy it is too late to call sick without being marked absent. So lets guess what he does.

Quote " This infection must be correctly detected and treated. Bacterial pink eye is highly contagious and airborne"

The net result of this is that Pilot A goes to work with his condition which may not only impair his vision but also gets passed to his fellow flight deck occupants, perhaps other crew and passengers. After all it is airborne which is how he got it in the first place. His colleague on the flight deck Captain B has been around a while and doesn't give a sh*t anymore so when he wakes up down-route a few days later with sore eyes he reports sick which turns the whole operation on its head. Especially if it were to be somewhere like MRU where there are not many replacements to be found.

Well done EK head shed :D Another well thought out own goal. Watch this space for policy amendment.

typhoonpilot
14th Mar 2009, 08:33
Very well said GF. That is exactly what I was thinking. This is going to lead to pilots flying sick because they are afraid of being marked "absent". :ugh:

TP

Visual Procedures
14th Mar 2009, 08:49
Turn it up Gulf News. If said effoh is so ignorant to go to work with conjunctivitis, he deserves at least a year in the sin bin before his next upgrade.

The FCI says:

A crewmember who reports sick less than four hours before the commencement of any duty will be considered as absent on the roster and the crew member shall notify the Fleet Duty Manager for the reason for the late notification.

The effoh should press 2. After conversation with scheduling, call the FDM. The FDM will say "**** mate! Conjuctivitus! Thats no good! Get some rest and go and see the clinic when you get a chance. I'll make sure you're marked down as sick. Get well soon."

End of 'saga' :yuk:

This rule is a polite way of preventing last minute sickies. It's saying that if it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon and the last thing you feel like doing that night is heading east 5 time zones, then tell them! That way they have time to make arrangements, not waste 'standby' resources, and not have to deal with your sickie at midnight when they're in the middle of dealing with the 2am rush.

fourgolds
14th Mar 2009, 09:33
GF , you are correct. As I said policy hear fails to see the safety ramefications. So fatigued and sick they go to work , all links in the chain.
Safety is talk alone in this outfit .

I personally will not fly if ill. I will absouloutely go to the American hospital at 4 am , and charge EK the bill from now on. No self medicating until I am able to get a call in to the clinic at 8 am to go see the doctor in the EK clinic.

Ok , so a senior F/O up for command wakes up with just a little chest pain , thats never been there before. His arm is a little numb. Its just pins and needles from sleeping on it he says to himself. His wife says , " hon you look ****e " , he says ah I am just a little tired I'll be ok , besides if I book off sick they will mark me absent. That will probably delay my command.
So he goes to work.

At VR the Captain calls Rotate and there is no response ..................

In a court a law gentleman the company culture could certainly come under the microscope.

Gulf News
14th Mar 2009, 12:25
VP I admire your optimism. As with all official communications from above, especially amendments to the F.O.M there are a number of ways to interpret them. Nowhere in the FCI does it say that once the crew member has had a chat to the FDM and a doctor (should he be able to schedule an appointment) the Absent day will be reverted.

There is a reason for it not being more specific and that is because it is a thinly veiled threat of punitive action should a pilot have the temerity to report sick less than four hours prior to duty. The past self certification rules have been in place for more than 11 years so what has happened to bring about the need to change the policy?

What happens for example if the pilot in the scenario wakes up with a blinding headache which eases only after the sign on time. Doctor says "Can't find anything wrong with you mate take a panadol or two next time it happens" Do you think the guy is going to get the AB reversed. I think not.

Muttley I agree entirely with you that going to work when physically impaired is irresponsible yet both the company and the crew share responsibility in this regard. It is the companies responsibility to ensure that a crew member is not intimidated in any way and feels free to remove himself from a flight at any time should he feel unfit to fulfill his duties and responsibilities.

It appears to me that the current flight ops management are desperately trying to patch up the leaks in the reservoir whilst still pouring water into it. The result of this sort of thing normally ends with the dam bursting at some point. A well led, motivated, and rewarded workforce does not require threats to get the job done but therein lies the problem.

fourgolds
14th Mar 2009, 12:30
Mutley ,Whatever you say mate.
You can keep on defending these policies all you like. There will eventually be one that affects you too. All we have to do is wait , there is plenty more to come.

Flying Spag Monster
14th Mar 2009, 14:27
4 Golds you know how the deal works you've been here long enough. They legislate to the masses in response to breaches by the few, so I would expect there have been a few consistant "2" pushers so instead of bollocking them, we all get bollocked. Its worked this way for years, BS I know but that is how they do it. The other thing you would be all to familiar with is that any thing the horse writes is always confusing. How many times does he have to re-issue FCIs or clarify memos, he's a shocker with the pen. So if you have doubts about the intent of the 4 hour para, then ask for clarification. If it ends up that you were right then by all means come back and winge... I will join you.

Wizofoz
14th Mar 2009, 16:12
Nowhere in the FCI does it say that once the crew member has had a chat to the FDM and a doctor (should he be able to schedule an appointment) the Absent day will be reverted.

Err... You all do understand that the four hour rule has been in the FOM for years, and has not changed as a result of this FCI.

The change has been from self certifying for 2 days as many times as you like, to two days per month. After that, see a doctor.

If the four hour thing is a "Thinly veiled threat" than it's one that has been around for years. Has anyone ever been adversley affected by it in the past?

vbrules
14th Mar 2009, 16:40
Just to clarify (as I have never heard of it before):
we can go to any old hospital in Dubai and say "charge it to Emirates?"
sounds a bit strange to me

emratty
14th Mar 2009, 17:30
Guys i think we are all getting a bit too worked up over this. As Wiz says the 4 hour rule has been in the FOM for years. We can still take 2 uncertified sick days per month which is 24 days per year, that seems pretty reasonable to me. Emirates are fantastic with pilots who are long term sick so for those slagging them off just remember that.
There are a minority of people who take the Pi:mad: big time and those are the ones this policy is aimed at.
I do agree that Ed needs to clarify the rule on going sick within the four hours will always result in you being marked absent as i feel that is totally wrong and negative to flight safety but i suspect that provided you can produce a doctors note it will not be a problem.

fourgolds
14th Mar 2009, 19:10
Guys you are right. Sorry old Mutt . I guess I am just a little fed up with the continuous flogging. Apeasement seems the to be what we are all settling for. I still think its going to get harder , as they take more and more.

helen-damnation
14th Mar 2009, 19:29
If you are genuinly sick, press 2.

Then phone the FDM and tell them the situation.

Then phone the clinic and see someone (nurse/doctor or local hospital with referral).

The company will not punish you if you really are sick, it's the gutless B's who use the system for their social life who they want.
They can't afford to have you turn up at HQ and then go sick, just to avoid an absent day!
The FOM hasn't changed, you are still LEGALLY required to go sick if you are not fit to fly whether that's 10 days or 10 mins before duty.
Safe flying :cool:

BigGeordie
14th Mar 2009, 20:27
The FCI refers to being able to self certify for two calendar days per month (which may be revoked at any time).

Does that mean if I call sick at 2200 for a departure at 0300 that will be counted as my two calendar days used up, even though I'm only going sick for one flight? Because that is the way I read it and I'll put money on it that is why the word "calendar" is there.

Fart Master
15th Mar 2009, 02:59
Ok Muttley, what do you propose............. it was done a little tongue in cheek, trying to talk to the wan*ers won't do us any good

vbrules
15th Mar 2009, 03:20
BigGeordie,
100% correct and that has always been the way it is.

helen-damnation
15th Mar 2009, 04:25
EK Lawyer

Can't disagree with much of what you said. However, the legal responsibility is there for us and you know that's the first thing the company would try to hang you with.
Yes, they have a responsibility as well and there are enough annecdotes going around to potentially hang several heads in management for corporate manslaughter. God help us if we end up there!
If I need to go sick then I'll try to do it their way and play the game. If they screw me on the pay, then next time I'll put on my uniform and go sick after report.

Visual Procedures
15th Mar 2009, 04:40
Does that mean if I call sick at 2200 for a departure at 0300 that will be counted as my two calendar days used up, even though I'm only going sick for one flight?

Yep. The FCI 'slashing our rights' down to just 1 self certified sickie every month. :hmm:

My gosh.. Thats only 12 per year!! How will some people ever get by :eek:

mensaboy
15th Mar 2009, 05:03
First off I don't know one pilot who calls sick for 'social event' reasons, or just because he doesn't feel like going to work. Pilots generally enjoy going to work and we have, throughout the history of Emirates Airline, had a 'book-off' rate about 5% of cabin crew. I'm not slagging cabin crew, it's just a fact. (I base that 5% guess on my observations, but I think it is fairly accurate)

Secondly, calling in sick at 2200 for an 0250 departure does not mean 2 calendar days. In one instance (of my 7 times sick since my arrival here) they tried that crap with me and I followed it up. They reversed it and only counted it as one day. Still, I will only call after midnight now because I can't be bothered to go thru the weeks to get it changed ! Screw the 4 hour nonsense...... I woke up SICK. End of story.

Follow things up! Make a stink! Document everything! It sucks to have to do this, but if we don't, these insane practices will continue and even get worse. One word of advice... always sound reasonable and do not use inappropriate words with the clowns in scheduling.

Oddly enough, when I follow up on something crazy, they knuckle under... provided of course I am correct. Following up, includes sending an email which recounts the phone conversation. This is documented and verifiable proof that they have lost their minds in rostering. You will be surprised how the FDM's and Fleet Managers change their tune when something is put in writing!

Quality of life, fatigue, and health (therefore safety) are the ultimate goals here. This is not a battle to try to work easy schedules, it is a justifiably war against stupid rostering practices. A big smoking hole will be the net result if we keep caving in.

PS. yes i'm happy to have a secure job and I do appreciate it, but there is a limit!

BigGeordie
15th Mar 2009, 08:57
VP, I don't know any pilots who would call sick every month, although if things continue as they are a few might be tempted. The point is that I may need to go sick for 48 hours. If an office worker does that it would be two sick days. If I do it it could count as up to four, and would require a trip to the clinic with all the aggravation that involves- not to mention the cost to the company. That doesn't sound like "sharing the pain" to me.

Wiley
15th Mar 2009, 10:16
Slighly off topic, but has anyone had the pleasure of "the van" rather than the much-touted (by Capt America) Saab wagon to go home after an all nighter? You share this very social experience with three other pilots, all of whom live at different destinations. Fun (not!) if you're unlucky enough to be the last to be dropped off.

What's next? Pickup in a larger crew bus, like (with?) the cabin crew, with departures every 20 minutes from a few central locations? Or, as I note the new Metro has a station right at the New EGHQ, (and sticking with the EK policy of "maximum automation at all times"), in the future will we get ourselves to and from work in the driverless Metro?

Schibulsky
15th Mar 2009, 10:40
Just to give you an idea how :mad: up our management already is:
A"they stealing from the company"AR threatened to fire everybody who call sick after some VP pointed out that his stupid new NCC roster might lead to more fatigue related sickness.
O-tone: "I fire them, i can run the NCC with grade 7 employees"
I think thats the grade of the rostering guys!
One guy already got phoned at home after calling one day sick and was told to see a doc!!
Just a matter of time till they tighten the screws even more.
Btw have you noticed? the very good and detailed post of somebody from NCC about the situation there was deleted :sad:
Keep discovering:yuk:
Finally after the outrage about the new NCC roster, some VP clown from Performance Development came up with the mother of all rosters:
6 night 3 off 6 late 2 off 6 early 1 off....:D
Scotty, beam me up....

Fart Master
15th Mar 2009, 16:47
Muttley...... I agree with you 100%, couldn't have said it better.

I think Mensa had a very valid point about this 4 hr rule, I couldn't give a sh*t about it, if I'm sick less than 4 hrs from ETD then I'm sick.... end of story, you don't / can't book food poisoning etc.

Guys please don't fear the people in their Ivory towers, it's just mouth music:ok:

Visual Procedures
16th Mar 2009, 05:29
Hey Big G..

VP, I don't know any pilots who would call sick every month

That was my exact point, thrown out through what I thought was a thin veil of sarcasm..

The point is that I may need to go sick for 48 hours. If an office worker does that it would be two sick days. If I do it it could count as up to four, and would require a trip to the clinic with all the aggravation that involves

You were meant to be at work, probably for more than 8 hours. And so you now have 4 days to choose when to drag your arse down to the clinic, which should definitely take less than 8 hours despite no doubt having to spend 15 minutes travelling up to the 9th floor of the car park behind some local woman in her Nissan Armarda, chuckling to yourself every time she hits the curb.

And once you've done that, you still have your 'monthly sickie' up your sleeve :ok:

EK Snorkel
16th Mar 2009, 16:47
Crew control is not allowed to ask about your medical condition, neither is Fleet Management, HR etc.

Doctors are bound to professional discretion.

Patient/physician confidentiality! This even applies in a 3rd world country like the UAE:oh:

For EK it's only "sick" or "fit" nothing else.....