PDA

View Full Version : AAIB(H) March 2009

Hilico
12th Mar 2009, 07:33
First solo in R22, student fails to sufficiently anticipate difference caused by lack of instructor - here (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/march_2009/robinson_r22_beta__g_sbut.cfm)

I must say, reports aren't actually coming thick and fast recently.

Regards

Steve

12th Mar 2009, 08:26
One might surmise that the student wasn't actually ready for first solo:{

4ftHover
12th Mar 2009, 08:56
I can remember my first solo well and this is one of the occasions during training that the instructor can't demonstrate what it will be like. He can tell you what it will feel like and how the R22 will behave but he cant actually show you.

In my case when the 15 stone instructor jumped out it felt very different lifting in the hover. Once in the hover you get used to it straight away.

I guess there will never be an accurate way to demonstrate this ........?

61 Lafite
12th Mar 2009, 12:57
I remember spending some time immediately before the solo reinforcing the idea of getting light on the skids before lifting, very slow movement of the collective, and being told it would start to lift far earlier with only one up.

It's a testament to the quality of instructors that it is so rare for people to have a real incident on first solo. Far braver men and women that me making that go/no-go decision

Lafite

jhiles
12th Mar 2009, 18:49
Sorry for thread drift, but how common is it for ballast to be used on a first solo? I remember about 15kgs placed under the seat to replace my instructor on mine (not much, I know, but it helped)

I'd have thought it would make sense to use a large amount (50kgs?) for the first solo, and gradually reduce it on subsequent solo flights........it just gives one less thing for the student to worry about.

fluffy5
13th Mar 2009, 04:30
Yes you are quite right, even if the student is above the minimum pilot weight, weight can still be placed in the aircraft to aid with first solo. This cause's less tail down attitude and an different take off and landing visual cue's that can be off putting. I do it where I work with 206's.
Unfortunately even after a thorough pre solo briefing, the poor little student may still do something quite silly at the critical moment. Standard judgement from an experienced instructor can get caught once in his career, as a student may display perfect ability and attitude, and then suddenly stack it.....