PDA

View Full Version : Would you believe it?? a couple of kids too,

prospector
12th Mar 2009, 07:21
Teens take weapons arsenal on board planes

Teens smuggle weapons on Australian Qantas, Jetstar flights (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/teens-take-weapons-arsenal-on-board-planes-20090312-8vqp.html)

Eastwest Loco
12th Mar 2009, 08:30
Racist you may say, but let me guess???

Enough said, but slack security.

It aint hard, are it?

EWL

No1Dear
12th Mar 2009, 09:00
kids today, what scallywags

Capt Claret
12th Mar 2009, 09:19
In days of olde, pre September 11, an acquaintance's (possibly even known to Mr Tinpis) sons travelled from Adelaide to Darwin, carrying in their luggage an assortment of bongs (not illegal to buy in those days) and other paraphernalia purchased in SA.

Imagine their horror when not long after arriving home, chatting away innocently to dad who knew nothing of their southern purchases, and the family home is raided by the drug squad.

I think the equipment was caught via x-ray as carry on baggage.

Now, lets move forward to the modern day, where millions, if not billions of dollars are spent on heightened security and much inconvenience to all, and a couple of kids get to carry an arsenal from one side of the country to the other! :D :ugh:

werbil
12th Mar 2009, 09:41
This stuff was in 'CHECKED' baggage - not accessible to the passengers in flight.

The ammo is dangerous goods - but depending on the amount it could probably have been carried legally in that manner anyway.

Now if it had been in the cabin that would have been a flight security risk.

capt.cynical
12th Mar 2009, 09:44
It was all in their "checked baggage" WHO :ugh: packed the bags for these little vegimites :rolleyes::suspect:

And who sent them on their way,Who was meeting them at the final destination. :ooh::ugh:

Eastwest Loco
12th Mar 2009, 09:59
Met an early days East West F27 arrival for a DPO overnight many years ago - it was even in the old terminal with 2 unaccompanied minors aboard. Girl 12 boy 10. The flight had been particularly ugly with vicious turbulence all the way and even the crew were green.

Nobody was there to meet them, and they said they would just cab to their destination, but naturally we would not allow that.

After pushing for a phone number and getting no sense from 2 apparently disoriented and sick kids we called the police in to ensure their safety.

Police would have been better off guarding us as after arriving back at the Police station it turned out the 10 year old boy was packing a revolver and ammo and the plan was to hold up stores across Tasmania.

Thank God for turbulence!

Debbie and an lovely lady whose husband flew with EW but who used to cause her to use concealer makeup for the worst possible reason were the ladies on that flight if I recall correctly. I do remeber now, but will not mention.

Best all.

EWL

Capn Bloggs
12th Mar 2009, 11:15
who sent them on their way
Why Topend3, of course! :}

capt.cynical
12th Mar 2009, 11:31
Capt. Bloggs,

:yuk: Stupid answer for a serious question. They were U/M,s:O

Who were the adults who sent them on their way, and who was meeting them at the other end. :sad:

ASY68
12th Mar 2009, 11:43
Well the U/M rules are dependant on airline policy and all bar one (tiger...) have an U/M policy upto the age of 14yo... So I can see how the 14 year old got on...not too sure about the 11yo though.

Regards,

Worrals in the wilds
12th Mar 2009, 12:05
Dodgiest carry-on item I recall dealing with was a practice hand grenade (looks exactly like a real one to the uninitiated, but has no explosive) in the luggage of a fourteen year old U/M. A teenage friend had mailed it to him from the USA as a ‘souvenir’ :eek: so it had made it through the postal screening process. It had already travelled with him as carry on from a regional port (pre 9/11 screening) and was only picked up in transit at a major airport. Scared the :mad: out of the X-ray operator.

I also remember a similarly aged kid with a telescopic baton in his carry-on, he was travelling with his Dad who was most indignant about his son's bag being searched until the item was produced, at which stage he became MOST apologetic...claimed (plausibly) that he had no idea his son had such a thing.
Coming soon to an 18th birthday party near you :eek::eek:

Who the adults who sent them on their way. :ugh:

Scary people. I'm sure we all agree.

capt.cynical
12th Mar 2009, 12:23
You may have hit on the right thread / slant. :ok:

Flying Binghi
12th Mar 2009, 12:26
...i wonder which movie they got the idea from ?

Qanchor
12th Mar 2009, 12:40
Why on earth would airport security professionals (sic), be interested in checking what passengers may have on them when there’s a couple of high risk techies to shake-down? Those blasted pilots might have something on them and use it to take control of the aircraft!!

Before everyone starts, yes I know it was in checked luggage, but one should never miss the chance to ‘go’ security when the opportunity arises. :rolleyes:

Long Bay Mauler
14th Mar 2009, 02:51
I am not suprised this happened.I didnt think domestic checked in luggage was x-rayed anyway.If the security checks on people(e.g. staff) entering airside are anything to go by,then is it really a suprise that these kids were carrying weapons and ammo.

Kangaroo Court
14th Mar 2009, 03:57
I have a 13 year old that takes a size 12 shoe and is often confused for his mum's husband or boyfriend in shopping centres and restaurants. Kids don't look like kids anymore.

I have to go to work in the morning and he put an empty can of shaving cream back on the shelf!!

Now I've got to go out to the service station and pay double.

flysaucer1200
14th Mar 2009, 04:39
Bug-a-lugs, has a good point, Do bags going 'checked-in', get X-rayed?? On domestic or International?

Fs1200

fallen
14th Mar 2009, 19:56
Bug-a-lugs, has a good point, Do bags going 'checked-in', get X-rayed?? On domestic or International?All checked in luggage from major airports gets screened for explosives. I'm referring to RPT flights etc which these were. Screening normally involve x-ray analysis or chemical analysis. I don't know the details of the particular incident but I would assume the luggage was x-rayed.

But that doesn't mean someone actually got to look at the image. The screening software analyses the image for explosives, if it doesn't find any areas that have similar x-ray properties to explosives then the image isn't passed along to an operator.

Note that I said screened for explosives. The legislation only requires luggage to be screened for explosives. Guns - No. Knives - No. Dangerous Goods - No.

Some might think ammunition contains an explosive, others might think it contains a propellant. Either way, the small amount each shell contains isn't likely to be enough to be detected.

Freewheel
16th Mar 2009, 00:15
"Note that I said screened for explosives. The legislation only requires luggage to be screened for explosives. Guns - No. Knives - No. Dangerous Goods - No. "

I got jack of my luggage being searched every time I went through a major centre a few years ago. I took to wearing the same undies & socks for 2 days in my rather hot sweaty environment prior to transiting, then delicately placing them on top.

The luggage searching didn't stop, but I had the satisfaction of knowing that there was something suitably explosive waiting for them. Perhaps the x-rays were their own worst enemies....

tinpis
16th Mar 2009, 19:34
Imagine their horror when not long after arriving home, chatting away innocently to dad who knew nothing of their southern purchases, and the family home is raided by the drug squad.

Dont know who you mean Clarrie, but could it have been all the giggling and the loud Doors music that attracted the Norberts? :hmm: