PDA

View Full Version : Visit to ATC

rodmiller
12th Mar 2009, 03:28
Anybody know how you can get a chance to visit ATC?

Im interested in seeing it from the other side of the radio

cheers

Rod

NZScion
12th Mar 2009, 04:58
I'd suggest making your first step a phone call to the unit in question, introduce yourself, and come to some arrangement for a suitable time/date. Some form of ID (e.g. ASIC) will probably be required.

Well worth the effort to see what the guys/girls get up to.

mcgrath50
12th Mar 2009, 05:44
I know the BK guys used to be pretty open to it. That was before the staff shortages but worth a shot.

shortdrygrass
12th Mar 2009, 05:59
I was encouraged to pay a visit to the tower at YSCN and it wasn't a problem at all. All it took was a quick introductory phone call from one of the instructors, who checked that it wasn't an inconvenient time. The fact that Camden is not a Security Controlled Airport probably helped. I'm not sure what the rules are at Bankstown. I did ask if it was at all possible to check out the tower at Sydney but, as you might expect, this would be all but impossible in this post-September 11 environment without a very good operational reason.

I got the impression that the folks in the tower actually appreciated having the opportunity to show a student how it all operates as much as I appreciated the chance to see things from the other side. I'd strongly recommend making the effort if this is at all possible for you.

I've also been told that it doesn't hurt to go armed with a packet of chocolate bikkies! :)

Ovation
12th Mar 2009, 06:29
I managed to organise a group of about 10 or 12 Mooney pilots to visit the Adelaide Approach Operations Room some time back - might have been in 2003. The only thing was they wanted us there at off-peak (about 8 pm IIRC), but were very accommodating otherwise.

The view from the "other side" gave a much better understanding of how things work and why they do things the way they do.

Highly recommended if you get the opportunity.

kingRB
12th Mar 2009, 07:15
Ovation, i'd visited them years ago too with a TAFE class. I'm not sure it even exists in Adelaide now.. I'd heard its been moved and Adelaide Approach was all done in Melbourne :confused:

romeocharlie
12th Mar 2009, 09:31
YBCS tower and approach always happy to have visitors, some coffee or pizza doesn't go astray either.

man on the ground
12th Mar 2009, 10:50
and Adelaide Approach was all done in Melbourne

nahh, we found out which footy team they supported and left them there!

Rod, PM me, and I'll tell you who to contact

baronite
13th Mar 2009, 06:50
I had the chance a few years back to visit BN centre. I was invited by some airservices rep, but dont know how easy it is to get a look in there. Very interesting seeing the rows of computers and the Flightwatch station in the storeroom..:)