PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Airshow

4Greens
11th Mar 2009, 22:10
Attended the opening of the Airshow on Tuesday. Many pollies and bigwigs there. Have now returned to Sydney and there has been no mention in the media at all. Whose PR is failing and why?

4Greens
13th Mar 2009, 22:58
Had to post on my own post;so much interest. Just read the Australian Aviation supplement and no mention of Avalon at all. What is going on?

satos
14th Mar 2009, 02:11
What's Wrong!
Avalon has had the same display for the past 6 to 8 years.People need variety like at other airshows around the world.
Avalon is good for the person who has never been before.To a regular I wouldn't bother.They need big changes like new displays and different variety of aircraft attending the show.

JaseAVV
14th Mar 2009, 04:48
I went wednesday and it was OK but same as every other year.

I hate to think what it would be like if the Americans decided not to fly all the way down here one year.
They flew 2 Super Hornets and 2 B1s (with tankers) and a C-5 all the way from the USA. F-16s and F-15 from Japan.
Without them it'd be basically the RAAF Hornets, Hawks and F-111.

I wanted to go today but the thought of paying $50 to wallow around in the mud just didn't get appealing enough. They have been flying a few of the big noise makers this afternoon though.

Where are all these neighbours that bought Flankers etc?

Why don't the poms send down a Typhoon and try to show up the Super Hornet?

FFG 02
14th Mar 2009, 04:55
"I wanted to go today but the thought of paying $50 to wallow around in the mud just didn't get appealing enough."

Plus $10 carparking and the food from those take away caravan things...I'd hate to think.

There is also the big relief (bush fire/flood) concert at the MCG today. Probably grabs a few of the punters also.

Either that or some sort of conspiracy theory with Avalon becoming the second International Airport of Melbourne and the airshow becoming a dead weight to its progress?

Pole Vaulter
14th Mar 2009, 07:17
Agree with everyone . Too far to make the trip from QLD to see the same stuff over and over again. Plus would not support the mob of thieves that call themselves Airshows Downunder. Even has to pay on the trade only days. Even the big companies like Jeppesen did not bother with a stand this year. as already said if the Americans did not come there would be no show.

A37575
14th Mar 2009, 08:00
I went on first trade day. Arrived at 1000 and left at 1400. Saw one aerobatic aircraft and a Caribou fly during that time and the B1 Lancer got airborne and basically flew circles for thirty minutes at around 10,000 ft killing time for one slow run then 20 minutes later a so called fast run which looked around 250 knots at 1500 ft. While the noise of the Lancer with afterburners was impressive I think spectators were bored waiting for other than light aircraft to appear. Prices for food was exhorbitant and the organisers need to put a few chairs around the place for spectators to have a seat while having fast food. Exhibits were excellent as always and very attractive women too.

The Bunglerat
14th Mar 2009, 08:00
F-16... :zzz:

F-18... :zzz:

F-111... :zzz:

...Yeah, whatever.

I say: BRING BACK THOSE CRAZY MAD RUSSIANS!!!

AN-124 doing a low pass too close to the crowd line... :ok:

SU-27 giving the laws of physics the 'finger'... :ok:

(I'm sure you all get my drift).

Time Bomb Ted
14th Mar 2009, 10:18
The B1 Bomber was the noisiest thing I have ever heard. Way Cool.

Speedbird 9
14th Mar 2009, 10:34
All I can say is that it was bloody wet today!

Sunstar320
14th Mar 2009, 11:06
and bloody muddy!

rsy2
14th Mar 2009, 12:22
it was a wet and miserable day and for those who didn't go you didn't miss much apart from lines of storms and muddy Avalon walkways and grounds!!!

nuked
14th Mar 2009, 14:47
I couldn't agree more, bring in some russian hardware, some British, French or whatever, it seams to be getting tamer and smaller.

Thankfully the Americans were there, or the most exiting display would be from Jetstar

satos
15th Mar 2009, 02:21
The Bunglerat F-16... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sleep.gif

F-18... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sleep.gif

F-111... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sleep.gif

...Yeah, whatever.

I say: BRING BACK THOSE CRAZY MAD RUSSIANS!!!

AN-124 doing a low pass too close to the crowd line... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

SU-27 giving the laws of physics the 'finger'... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

(I'm sure you all get my drift).
Totally agree.
The inaugural avalon airshow and a couple after that were great.
From then on the airshow has just gone downhill.

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
15th Mar 2009, 08:52
Quite strong crosswinds today - and a little showery.

Still and all...looked forward to AVV's last look at the venerable 'Pig'.

Caribou flew, C17 flew, various little single engine aerobatic aircraft also flew, so did a 'showy' little Jelly-belly colored thing. B747-400s braved the crosswind, so did several A320s. Even the jet-pack man had a go!

The expectation was building, the excitement almost unbearable. But we all knew the wait would be worth it.

Then the announcer said, (and I paraphrase) "...due to the crosswind, together with the wet runway, the F111 can't fly - it's beyond it's limits. So it won't be performing for the crowd today..."!!!!!

Ohhhhh, shucks. The poor widdle puddy pig - he can't fly when it gets too windy and too wet:sad:. Thank god for the F18s! The stand-in performance by the wee guy was quite impressive.

Lucky the F111s are being retired - the enemy would now be privy to the exact met conditions during which to attack!:}

waren9
15th Mar 2009, 09:24
What a shame. Deeply disappointed with todays effort. For sure the the weather was against the organisers.

Too many big gaps, seeing the same thing twice, expensive deep fried non-variety from too few few outlets after missing something coz' you were in a queue blah blah blah. For me and the girl, tickets, parking, lunch easily $150. In hindsight, would rather have gone to the concert.

Big thanks to the Yanks for what would otherwise be a big non-event.

Australia you can do better.

The bi-annual show at Omaka, NZ is light years ahead. And that has no military fast jets at all.

mcgrath50
15th Mar 2009, 09:44
It was pretty **** to summarise.

Did anyone enjoy that Jelly Belly thing? WTF

Surely we can do better...

Joker 10
15th Mar 2009, 10:40
You have to wonder why they bother ??? must be a big $$$$$ return in it because the ebntertainment value is nil, all re hash

ME262
15th Mar 2009, 11:34
Sadly - have to agree - the Super Hornet was probably the best of a tame bunch! Although the weather didn't help, there was precious little new or interesting.

One thing that does grate is the commentary - can't remember which one of them it is, but boy, his put-on voice and style....:{

Unless something interesting happens next time, I wouldn't bother going again.

PyroTek
15th Mar 2009, 11:53
F-15 from Japan.
Sure It was there... but I don't think i even saw anything even close to getting a beacon on..
Just sat there.

The Jelly belly thing was more concerning than entertaining. And just totally un-funny on the 2nd and 3rd day.
I mean, Aileron falling off? That's just plain disconcerting. Though I was impressed with the streamer cutting.

I was really wanting to see some car windows smash or something from an F-16 flypast. Sure that'd be a lot of insurance money down the drain, but imagine the inital entertainment!

Some of the Light aircraft were good to walk around and see what was there.
Also: Anyone see that poor red and white biplane with the left gear collapse, thus, bending the lower wing strut and causing much damage?:ugh:

Was good for a first time. Not sure about a 2nd time though. Will have to find out in 2 years!

JaseAVV
15th Mar 2009, 15:29
I will most likely go every time they have it. For me it's worth $50 even if I only see the RAAF Hornet display. Since the Super Hornets started coming out the RAAF seems to have learnt how to pull massive angle of attack which looks grouse.

Also the Super Hornet flight sim at the Boeing stand is fantastic. I've had a go last two shows and this one I managed to trap on the carrier first attempt.

The second pass was a bit rough though...

But yeah, would be nice to see F-22/B-2/Typhoon/Rafael/JAS-39/V-22?
Bueller?

Did that new helo we just bought fly? NH90 is it?

Snail Dave
15th Mar 2009, 21:22
I went on Wednesday to avoid the crowds and talk to people on stands - didn't bother to hang around to see the same old stuff. I think I was finished inside two hours and went home.

Two years ago I brought an international guest (customer) along we had a great day - and he enjoyed himself. Bloody glad I had no-one to entertain this year - would have been boring as hell and downright embarrassing.

Having said that, I would have loved to see the B-1 flying as I've never seen that before.

Agree with most above - got to bring something new to the show or bring some other nations' aircraft into the mix. I would have gone to the concert at the MCG for $75 if I'd had a choice.

Snail

zkcub
15th Mar 2009, 22:20
I went to the Airshow on Fri and MCG concert on sat....not a bad weekend really.

Qantas 787
15th Mar 2009, 23:02
My big problem with yesterday was relatively simple - shelter! For what everyone pays to enter, the only place to get away from the rain was the expo or the chatlets (if you were lucky to be in one). Is it too much to put up some areas with shelter (even without seats?) Even the gold pass area doesn't have any shelter. Each time the show is on there is plenty of wind and rain. I just felt sorry for a lot of the guests with thier aircraft (like the Yanks) who had no shelter for the day.

Critical Reynolds No
16th Mar 2009, 02:54
Agree with the comments on the commentators. I actually found out where they broadcast from (by accident), a demountable classroom at ground level. No wonder they get things wrong, they can't see anything.

What is the accent that guy has? Made the Jelly Belly worse to watch.

I was in front of them while the Yak-9 was displaying. First it had a Curtis engine and then an Allison. That annoyed me as I was taking notes for the test later on. I turned to them and mouthed "you're S%te". Wish I had a sign like the people have at the cricket.

At least "love song dedications" wasn't there this year with his aweful jokes.

How can one get a gig? At least I would shut up when a P-51 goes past. Like I say, as they can't see, probably explains why.

ramp_boy
16th Mar 2009, 04:11
I haven't gone to the last couple.. Avalon airshow has let me down since witnessing the 'mad russians' at the first one. Those guys really know how to 'shock and awe'! I remember watching with my mouth wide open when the AN124 did it's crazy ass display! The crew even landed the plane nose wheels first - that was totally incredible to watch! Anyone remember that?

Teal
16th Mar 2009, 04:26
According to the 'Airshow Exhibition Regulations' the 'Principal Ringmaster' (presumably the announcer) was a bloke named Paul Devine.

My big problem with yesterday was relatively simple - shelter! For what everyone pays to enter...I suspect that it all comes down to $$$$$. Just look at the number of volunteers they use in the carpark and elsewhere to minimise costs. Oddly, the ABN on the receipt for airshow parking does not belong to the company named (Aviation Development Australia Ltd), but rather, to a company called Aerospace Australia Ltd. Further, the individuals managing all aspects of the airshow work for yet another company - Aerospace Maritime & Defence Foundation of Australia Ltd. All rather confusing and makes me wonder where all the money goes.

On a lighter note, I notice that the name of the International Marketing Representative for South Korea was a "Ms. Sunny Moon". Wish I had know that beforehand as I would have made a point of getting a business card.

Mick.B
16th Mar 2009, 06:57
Shelter ? Mate your at an airshow. Why would you want your seat under shelter ? Do you only like the jet truck on the runway.:hmm:

Qantas 787
16th Mar 2009, 09:00
Shelter - not in the grandstands (that is the worst place to have it). I meant in the rest of the areas, near the food stands etc. There was plenty of space away from aircraft to put some shelter that wouldn't impeed any views.

Feather #3
16th Mar 2009, 10:12
Paul Devine is not the commentator!

G'day ;)

cogwheel
16th Mar 2009, 10:51
According to the 'Airshow Exhibition Regulations' the 'Principal Ringmaster' (presumably the announcer) was a bloke named Paul Devine.

The "Ringmaster" was not the announcer.

PD is a former RAAF MIR pilot and experienced Ringmaster. (This position is the the CASA delegate for the flying display/airshow approval)

There is much more to the Avalon Airshow than just the flying displays, which due to our location on the Earth rely on participation from other countries. The world economic situation at the moment effected this year somewhat and there were some cancellations in the weeks leading up to the show. Nevertheless it was good to see the B1 and the Super Hornet. I think the 4 RAAF F/A18s do a good routine and the 'Bou and the Pig are always stars!

The value of the trade days to those that want to make the investment is significant and the flow on to the aerospace industry is significant even if not obvious to the average punter.

Those that are critical of the flying display need to realise that it is very difficult to put on such an event and coordinate displays and attendance from other parts of the globe. If you are so interested, why dont you put up your hand for the next show as a volunteer and you will soon find out the amount of work that goes into trying to please fussy punters.

As an airshow junkie from way back, I think they did a good job considering the tough times at the moment. Sure there could have been more acts and other flying entertainment, but that is always the case. Fact is if you are so critical, don't come next time. I'm sure you wont be missed...! Save up and go to OSH or one of the UK shows if you want something different.

:D:D:D

kingRB
16th Mar 2009, 11:13
The crew even landed the plane nose wheels first - that was totally incredible to watch! Anyone remember that?

yep, I have the entire performance on the official video they did for that airshow. 1992 I think it was?

Just watching the video footage of how close he had the aircraft over the crowd is concerning... I imagine it would have been a fair bit more alarming if you were actually in the crowd...

ZK-NSJ
16th Mar 2009, 11:47
paid $1400 return*** for a last minute ticket from perth, only to get soaked,some tents decided to do there own flying display on saturday afternoon,* mustang and connie would only do grounds runs,* that jellybaby* piper cub/whatever it is* was good for a laugh though,* with bits falling off everywhere,* and the kiwi 757* been thrashed to within an inch of its life, might add it took me longer to get out of the carpark and onto the freeway than it did to get back to melbourne airport

B123456789
16th Mar 2009, 12:14
I remember the good old days of having a Photograph's Pass which allowed you access to all parts of the field. Mini vans would pick and drop you off at certain areas. Should be re-introduced though I cannot see it happening till the year 2525 if the air show lasts that long.

A37575
16th Mar 2009, 13:47
Is it true the Mustang abandoned its take off run due loss of control in crosswind? Wasn't there but heard there was a problem.

bentleg
16th Mar 2009, 20:27
Is it true the Mustang abandoned its take off run due loss of control in crosswind?

Yes. He had a go and finished on the grass. Others including Connie, F111 and B1B did not try. CW 20-35 knots. This has already been discussed in other threads.

flypilotboy
16th Mar 2009, 21:54
Did anyone enjoy that Jelly Belly thing? WTF

Yeah, I did! It and the B-1B were the only things that were different from previous years. Airshows Downunder are about one thing, MAKING MONEY! I am sorry after 8 years the Super Hornet is no longer a new thing. What is the RAAF going to do for recruitment once the F-111 retires along with the dump and burn. I can see the contract variation on the JSF now "must have the capablity to inject fuel into jet exhaust to impress the general public."

Critical Reynolds No
16th Mar 2009, 22:29
Just look at how the Defence, Temora, Nowra and other shows are organised. They do not have the organisation sizeof Airduds Downunder and put on better displays. No gaps, everything one after the other. Maybe with the money they received they should go and visit some of the shows overseas and see how it should be done.

fixa24
17th Mar 2009, 00:46
B1 was awesome.
F16 :ok:
kiwi757 was very impressive.
Jelly belly was good fun.
No roulettes! instead a 4 ship F18 display. Much better!

The rest.....:(:(

tred
17th Mar 2009, 05:04
First time from NZ for Avalon (6 days)

Airfares NZ$1100 for wife and I
Accom NZ$1300
Rental car and fuel AU$250
Food/drink NOT at the airshow AU$600
Airshow AU$330 for 3 days NOT including food

Total over $3500 kiwi

What a total dissapointment - thankgod it was fine on Friday arvo so that we got to see 4 hours of airshow before the stratus rolled in killing the night flying.

pissed down on saturday and we decided to leave about 1130am soaked - thought they may have reimbursed some of the ticket - nope.

blew a bloody cold and wind on sunday and when my fingers still hadn't thawed out by 1pm called it quits when i could see rain approaching again.

All in all the show seemed very disjointed, long gaps, and more announcements about 'assessing the weather' than you could shake a stick at. Really nothing that spectacular to be fair and the mud and crap everywhere on Sunday was a shocker not to mention trying to get out from the public watching area back onto the taxiway to the static displays.

I know that weather played a big part and that is nobody's fault but even if the weather had been just dandy the whole weekend, I don't think the display line up would have grabbed you the whole time. The only reason we went for the 3 days was to try and see the show in it's entirity, which of course didn't happen.

Still, I can cross Avalon off now as another airshow "been there done that".

Jabawocky
17th Mar 2009, 05:21
WOT!

Turned on propper KIWI WX and you are not happy about it! :}

Geez can't please some visitors!!! Sure you are not a Pom? :E

into the bunker I go! http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/wall.gif

Jabaless!:ok:

Gundog01
17th Mar 2009, 07:13
Would be interested to hear feed back from the final Bou and F111 display.

mostlytossas
17th Mar 2009, 07:17
Sorry for all those who came from afar for the show like Tred but look on the bright side...At least your losses were NZ$ so not much lost there hey?:O:O

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 08:01
There was no "final" F111 display as such as it was too windy for it (cross wind) and there was water on the runway.

fixa24
17th Mar 2009, 10:36
bou was great, put on a good show despite the xw. No F111 flights on sunday due xw again..

Rawhard
17th Mar 2009, 14:26
As I've been reading Avalon was same old same old. As an industry worker from out of state and thinking I might be interested in going next airshow, now I'm not sure. Is there anything worthwhile seeing at the Airshow? :bored:

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2009, 23:13
Don't believe everything you hear, or take what you do hear with a grain of salt. It's a great airshow, seriously, but it's very similar from year to year (biennial) so don't expect anything new the next time. You can hardly blame the organisers, it would be hard to make it "that" much better or different every show.

BULLDOG 248
18th Mar 2009, 00:43
I remember going to a Geelong Airshow at Grovedale around 15 years ago in the year between the Avalon Airshow, with a huge crowd rolling up and ENJOYING just an average line-up of GA and Warbirds aircraft with no jets.

What made it so successful was:

-There were no gaps between acts

-Entry prices were reasonable

-You could walk around static aircraft

-People flying in could camp under there wing

-Think they had a Band playing Fri+Sat night and the aero club was still full on Sunday night

-Cheap joy-flight in Heli/Fixed wing before and after show

-Large hangar had plenty of seats to get out of the weather and rest.

I lived in Geelong at the time and remember reading "letters to the editor" in the local rag the next week. All who went THOUGHLY ENJOYED and some made remarks to Airshows Downunder then to "TAKE A LEAF OUT OF GROVEDALES BOOK" to improve their own show.
15 years later.....Whats changed???????????????????????

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Mar 2009, 03:44
Just read the Australian Aviation supplement and no mention of Avalon at all. What is going on?

Couldn't have been looking too hard 4Greens... Australian Aviation did a Show Daily at the show on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this year and also ran it online...

Australian Aviation Airshow Daily (http://www.australianaviation.com.au/avalondaily)

Click on 'Archive' at bottom right for all three issues...

Was about time someone did this at Avalon, and a pretty good first up effort by the guys from AA too. :ok:

Edit:- sorry for link there Mods, but it is to a news site.

Critical Reynolds No
18th Mar 2009, 08:46
How to you post youtube videos? I found one here:
YouTube - Avalon Airshow 2009 Compilation Friday display (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rspGylVvTIQ)

4Greens
18th Mar 2009, 21:42
Foxtrot Alpha,
The Australian Newspaper.

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Mar 2009, 23:09
Ohhh...

So instead of... ...the Australian Aviation supplement...
...you meant to write "The Australian's aviation supplement"??? :rolleyes:

Amazing the difference some 6th Grade level punctuation can make! :hmm:

archangel7
19th Mar 2009, 02:19
I loved watching the 757 from the RNZAF, they did a stunning job to entertain the spectators it was awesome... the rest was a letdown, I was surprised not to see an a380 and I think I saw that Pitts go up a few too many times. Was a disappointment, waste of $50

bentleg
19th Mar 2009, 03:44
I was surprised not to see an a380

There was an A380 there from 0800 until 1200 (only) on Saturday. I suspect it flew in from US overnight, came down to YMAV for a while, then had to get back to YSSY for a departure.

QF brought in a 747-400 on Sunday.

Teal
19th Mar 2009, 04:54
I loved watching the 757 from the RNZAF, they did a stunning job to entertain the spectators it was awesomeEven though I saw this jet previously in 2005, I agree entirely...there's really something special about the sheer performance and maneuverability of a big jet like that.:D (frustrated ex-Skyhawk pilots?)

Mr & Mrs Rocketboots
20th Mar 2009, 01:57
We too crossed the ditch as first-timers to the Avalon airshow. Fortunately for us, we were lucky enough to be hosted in one of the corporate chalets so didn't end up in the mud pool on the Saturday. It was a shame the weather didn't cooperate, but that's part of the joy of outdoor events! It did make the pyro display at the night show very effective tho!

There were some displays that we enjoyed very much, but there were also some irritations that left us feeling a little bit disappointed.

Highlights:

Kent P and the Interstate Cadet. Really enjoyed it, thought the commentary was amusing and apt. Shame we didn't get to see the landing on the RV, darn those crosswinds.
C17 and B757 - gotta love big aircraft being thrown around close to the ground.
Super Connie - indeed! Beautiful to watch and listen to.
B1B - a bit disappointing in that each pass was just straight down the runway about 15 mins apart. Lots of noise and novelty factor for Kiwis to enjoy.
FA18 Super Hornet - very slick.
Jet powered glider - smooth performance, wingtip contrails just added to the atmosphere.
Both specialist aerobatic planes (sorry, can't remember the types and don't have programme handy)
FA18 formation.Lowlights:

The commentators. If they weren't in a position to see what was happening, why not?! Even then, I suspect that we may still have wanted to shoot one of them. Very poor performance.
Speaker volume - far too loud when music playing. Some of us want to hear the aircraft (and each other).
I can appreciate that the weather changed the programme around, but there were still far too many long gaps. My brother has been to many of the Avalon shows and tells me that this is normal. I also have experience as a display coordinator at a relatively big airshow over here, and dead air for more than a minute is something we work hard to avoid. One year we had a tongue-in-cheek complaint that we didn't leave any gaps for people to visit the loo! Even with scheduled airline movements, it is possible to keep it a lot tighter than that.Attended the Thursday trade day, Friday night show and all day Saturday. Parking and traffic movement was relatively well organised on those days, and we had no problems with officious volunteers that were alluded to earlier in this topic. Found most of them friendly and eager to help.

So final comments to the organisers - tighten up the programme and avoid those too long gaps, improve (or replace) the commentary team, more variety on the programme. Please.