PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Jobsworth?

Sporadic E
16th Sep 2000, 20:06
The other day I got to one of the airside security gates in Terminal 2 at MAN and passed my ID card through the window to be "swiped in". The person on duty there stood nonchalantly by the X-ray machine and said :

"Sorry mate, I can't swipe you in. I'm not trained up on that yet"

I swear this was not a wind up of any kind. Can any of you out there better this ? Or are all airport security like this now ?

foxmoth
17th Sep 2000, 00:40
IMHO Aviation security will continue to get worse until there are no flights departing because the crew cannot get through security.
:) :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

BN2A
17th Sep 2000, 22:40
SE - Sounds like he learnt his trade at Heathrow...
:)

mach78
18th Sep 2000, 00:58
I think MAN has more than its fair share of security jobworths, especially the from their martinet supervisors.

flite idol
18th Sep 2000, 01:27
Hope you dont mind me putting a positive tale in here?. Last autunm I was trying to get on a British Airways (CFE) flight from LGW to DUB. My wife was with me along with my mother. The three of us had flown all night transatlantic and were travelling on ONEWORLD company space available passes. Needless to say the flights were chaotic with inept ground handling by British Midland (flights departed with empty seats and no clue how many passengers were really on board). To cut a long story short, the security guard who had seen us walk repeatedly between the gate and the check-in desk (yes after every flight the gate agent insisted we went back to the concourse, queued up, checked in, answerd all the security questions, passed through the scanners and had our bags X-rayed and walked all the way back to the same gate). Well after he had seen us do that several times he approached me and appologised for the way we had been treated (although it was one of our own ONEWORLD airlines that was causing the problem and not security). He then, and I am convinced he was sincere and genuine said that he and his wife lived just a few miles fron the airport and that they would be happy to put us up for the night and drive us back to the airport in time for the first flight in the morning. Luckily we got on the last flight to Dublin. I`ve been through LGW a few times since and I always pop over and say hello to him, he gave us a positive outcome from a negative and frustrating day.

Flintstone
18th Sep 2000, 13:01
Well that makes a nice change. The world needs a few more like that :)

(Couldn't give me his phone number could you only I'm likely to be passing through on occasion.)