PDA

View Full Version : Sat nav

dwlpl
11th Mar 2009, 15:11
I know its not PC related but here goes.

Does anyone know a tip to keep a sat nav in its mount stuck to the windscreen of a car without it falling off every 5 minutes?

MacBoero
11th Mar 2009, 15:19
How do you attach it? What GPS is it?

I have a Garmin, and when I stick it onto the screen, its stays put until I take it off. I've never had a problem with it falling off.

Is the screen clean?
Did you moisten the sucker first?
Did you ensure the sucker is pressed flat against the screen before lowering the lock.
Are there cracks or pits in the screen surface? (Unlikely on the inside, I hope!)

dwlpl
11th Mar 2009, 15:33
Tom Tom XL.

I just push the so called suction cap straight onto the screen and then fit the sat nav to it.

On the Tom Tom suction cup there is no lock, you just push it.

green granite
11th Mar 2009, 15:41
My Tom Tom XL has a knob that you twist to make it stick to the screen.

call100
11th Mar 2009, 15:49
You don't have a heated front windscreen do you?
It's a long known problem with older Tom Tom suckers. The newer ones I believe are lockable. You either press the standard lock down if there is one or twist it twice to lock it.
Apart from cleaning windscreen and wetting the sucker the general advice I've seen is to buy an after market holder.

ZH875
11th Mar 2009, 20:23
TomTom 910, as long as the screen is clean, no problem. Never had to wet the sucker, but have had a mount snap the sucker when twisting the lock.

pzu
11th Mar 2009, 22:17
I have a TT910 with window mount - original mount had no adjustable mount and was prone to coming adrift - now have an 'adjustable' mount and no problems

However this leaves a 'tell tale mark/ring' when demounted for security purposes

Just noticed ad in Sunday Mags for this device

Southmid Products LLP | Welcome to Southmid Products LLP | Overview (http://www.navmat.co.uk/)

claims to provide secure mounting and also eliminates the 'tell tale mark/ring'

PZU - Out OF africa (retired)

Temet_Nosce
13th Mar 2009, 08:31
If you have a heated window, turn on the window a few minutes before you attach the mount to the window.