PDA

View Full Version : Romain Gary, French author and pilot

l.garey
11th Mar 2009, 07:31
Roman Kacew (1914-1980), better known by his adopted name Romain Gary (no relation to me!), was a Lithuanian who escaped to France and served in England with the Lorraine squadron between 1940 and 1944. He is best known as a very successful author.
Can anyone tell me what aircraft he flew? I have seen that the Lorraine group flew Blenheims and Spitfires, but maybe someone can give me more information. I should be grateful for any documentation, including photos.
Thanks
Laurence

T-21
13th Mar 2009, 09:18
Hello Laurence

Found this Romain Gary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romain_Gary) Sad ending to a rich life.

l.garey
13th Mar 2009, 11:50
Hello T-21. How are you?

Yes, I know that Wiki site, and I know about Gary's being in the Lorraine Sqd, but I cannot find anywhere what he actually flew!

Spitfires, Blenheims.....?

I have just given up reading one of his novels; not my style, even in French!

Maybe someone on the forum knows what the Lorraine boys were flying between 1940 and 1945......

Laurence

pzu
13th Mar 2009, 12:24
Try posting your query on

RafCommands Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/index.php)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

PPRuNe Pop
13th Mar 2009, 13:22
Lorraine Squadron (41) was equipped with Spitfires in January 1939. It flew them all through the BoB and in to 1947 when it was re-equipped with Meteors.

Type 41 Squadron in Google and you will find much more.

l.garey
13th Mar 2009, 13:33
Thanks all. I shall do that.
Laurence

PPRuNeUser0139
13th Mar 2009, 17:08
If I could just borrow a bit of this thread's momentum for a few seconds.. I'm looking for anything on the operations of the Free French AF in N Africa during WW2.. particularly when the GB I-19 Groupe Gascogne operated the B-26 Marauder.. my late f-in-law was a pilot with that outfit. I have Google'd but haven't been able to turn up much.
TIA
sv

l.garey
13th Mar 2009, 18:02
In the end I looked it up myself (which I could have done at the start, but I thought there might be someone who had personal information). Lorraine Squadron was in fact 342 Sqd formed in 1943 with Bostons, and then onto Mitchells in 1944, disbanding in 1945 when the crews reverted back to the French Air Force.
I still did not find any stories about Romain Gary, but from various sources was informed he was "Polish", or "Russian" (which he was not) and also a Navigator (which he was not). Just shows you.

Laurence

PPRuNe Pop
13th Mar 2009, 18:34
The cross of Lorraine was the crest on 41 Squadron's badge. The details are as above.
RAF - 41 Squadron (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/41squadron.cfm)
342 was not formed until 1943 so he cannot have been it before that year so it is possible that he could have flown with 41 Sqdn.

The record shows that he was Jewish and changed his Russian name.

Only deeper investigation will give you the real story I fancy.

l.garey
14th Mar 2009, 05:49
Thanks Pop. Yes, the details of Gary's career are hard to find. I agree about the Lorraine cross of 41 Sqd: maybe he was on Spitfires there before the French Lorraine group was reformed in the UK in 1943. I shall pursue the hunt.
He was Lithuanian, and changed his name to Romain Gary for most of his literary work, although he also published under two other names! He finally committed suicide, poor fellow.

Laurence