PDA

View Full Version : IE 8?

Keygrip
11th Mar 2009, 03:26
I did look back, I did search (don't shout at me).

Anybody dabbled with Internet Explorer 8?

Jofm5
11th Mar 2009, 03:33
Yes what would you like to know ?

It addresses microsofts compatibility issues with the W3C Stanards (World Wide Web Consortium) but also has compatibility modes for older websites.

In its native mode things may behave differently if the web pages are I.E specific.

But again it depends what you want to know about it :)

Keygrip
11th Mar 2009, 04:32
As a point and click operator that just surfs around - should I rush to download it, or hit it with a pointy stick?

Bushfiva
11th Mar 2009, 04:49
It's got a couple of nice features, such as remembering which tabs you closed should you want to open them again, caret browsing, accelerators and web slicing.

Jofm5
11th Mar 2009, 05:17
You can already save tab groups in IE 7

If your happy with what you have dont upgrade unless you have to - no warning etc but why introduce a potential problem till you need something.

There is no need to download it unless you really want to be a guinea pig

green granite
11th Mar 2009, 07:53
It's getting closer to having the functionality of FireFox.

call100
11th Mar 2009, 15:53
......But, is not there yet. For me FF3 outshines IE. Better add-ons make it far more user friendly and customisable..However, they are beginning to play catchup....
Download it and just play with it..Only you can decide which browser you like best.

Keygrip
11th Mar 2009, 16:39
Having encountered some recent unknown, in which IE7 had become unstable and froze from time to time - with the only recourse being "Task Manager" to close the programme - I took the plunge.

No visual difference, seems much more stable than my old one (as just mentioned), but most certainly seems quicker.

I'll play with the toys later.

All I really needed from you all, I suppose, was to NOT see numerous responses saying "DON'T DO IT".

gas path
11th Mar 2009, 17:53
FWIW I tried it and although it never froze a lot of sites did not display properly, including pprune!
For instance the box at the foot of the page 'posting rules' and everything in that area was centered, switching to compatability mode instantly sorted it back to normal:confused:
Maybe it is all resolved now. Is it still a beta?

gas path
11th Mar 2009, 17:56
Cor that's cool ...type in pprune in lower case and it automatically puts in the capitals :ok:

BOAC
6th Jun 2009, 08:18
Any later comments on this? Can you still access those pesky company and banking sites that only like IE6+? Any bugs?

Guest 112233
6th Jun 2009, 08:37
If you are using FF look in tools/add-ons/extentions/ and you will possibly find an add on relating to Microsoft net, that you cannot remove, but you can disable - it was apparently put there by Microsoft very quitely during one of their updates - It allows the insertion of applications using clickonce - I will post again when I know more about what is going on.

CAT III

Lancelot37
6th Jun 2009, 09:25
I've had it freeze, with a blank screen on opening up, on a regular basis on both of my computers. The only way to progress is to use Task Manager to close it down and start again.

When I go to the Microsoft site and try to download the laterst version it tell me that my version is later than the download shown. How can that be?

parabellum
6th Jun 2009, 10:36
Have been using IE8 since it's Beta days and no problems. If you select a website and is says it can't, just select 'Refresh', (only happened on one site so far).

jimtherev
6th Jun 2009, 10:44
Had a bit of a 'Huh?' today... tried to install some HP drivers (Yeah, I know!) into W7 and the HP installer told me that I couldn't because I hadn't upgraded to IE 5. :eek: Got out of that with some difficulty... or was it just the delay of W7 reporting to mother? and then discovered that the printer had installed anyway. Oh well...

Tim00
6th Jun 2009, 13:30
Regarding Microsoft's .NET extension to Firefox, it's possible to remove it (resists temptation to give MS another slagging over this):

Annoyances.org - Remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Firefox Extension (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600)

Only attempt this if you're confident, though. There is no 'undo' command with regedit.exe.

Forkandles
6th Jun 2009, 16:01
I've had many problems with IE8 locking my system up. Couldn't be arsed finding out why, went back to IE7 and it was fine. Trying google chrome at the mo and that seems pretty good!
As you may be able to work out from the post, I am not an IT professional...

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jun 2009, 22:11
On another thread it shows that I had a problem with IE8 which caused untold problems. All sorted now but included a bad reaction against using System Restore> rejecting url' for online banking and, I believe, it was responsible for slowing things down.

I'd like to go back to it but will not do so until I can be sure I can continue as with IE6.

call100
7th Jun 2009, 00:45
Regarding Microsoft's .NET extension to Firefox, it's possible to remove it (resists temptation to give MS another slagging over this):

Annoyances.org - Remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Firefox Extension (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600)

Only attempt this if you're confident, though. There is no 'undo' command with regedit.exe.
Fully updated versions of windows and FF3. Nothing appeared on my copy....I have no problems with it whatsoever.
It is compatible with all my banking sites. I have the IE tab extension loaded just in case I should need it but have so far not had to use it.
IE8 is very clumsy compared to FF3.....Each to their own but I wouldn't change..:ok:

BOAC
7th Jun 2009, 08:13
Off topic, but ditto "Fully updated versions of windows and FF3." and I see to my disgust that I HAVE the extension in FF. Thanks to Tim for the post.