PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts re MCC's???

sparx007
10th Mar 2009, 20:27
Hi all,

Close to booking MCC and wondered peoples thoughts re doing the course in various types of sim...i.e. will a 737 full motion sim be more beneficial than say and FNPT2!!!! is it worth the extra few hundred pounds in anybody's opinions???

comments appreciated

Sparx

ewsd02
11th Mar 2009, 11:22
Do the MCC on the type you want to work on, this will give you the best chance in the sim assessment. Do your homework before splashing out on an expensive MCC in the current job market.

poseidon
11th Mar 2009, 23:58
The question you are asking is a very valid one! I did my MCC with Jetlinx on a full motion class D 767 simulator in Cranebank (BA). My idea was that a good MCC would definitely score brownie points with recruiters. Frankly, it doesn't. I would wholeheartedly recommend Jetlinx, because it was a great experience and flying the 767 (or any other big bird) made me feel very special at the time! It was also a bit of a pat on the back after the hard work of the IR. However, if you are struggling for money do the bare minimum and save yourself some pennies!

Nashers
12th Mar 2009, 01:24
some full motion sims are also FNPT2 as well. i did mine and oxford on their 737 full motion and was told to log it as FNPT2 time. still great fun and thinking its the real thing!

Deano777
12th Mar 2009, 09:15
ewsd02 has it right.

Be smart, target your MCC for the employer you wish to work for. For instance, I did this, and my sim assessment was on the very simulator I did my MCC in. I already had 25hrs in her from the MCC making the assessment a breeze.

D777

SW_US
12th Mar 2009, 12:11
Could someone explain the MCC to a pilot who is already flying for a 121 airline in a jet greater than 50k kgs?

Do I need one? Am I missing out? Is this what they call a CRJ/Jet Transition Course outside of the U.S.?

G SXTY
12th Mar 2009, 16:11
Ask 10 of us about MCCs and you'll get at least 11 different answers . . .

In terms of the actual course, it shouldn't make much difference what you do it in - full-motion, FNPT2, cardboard bomber - even WWW's cardboard box, the point is to ease the transition from single crew to multi crew flying and develop the necessary skills, not to learn to fly a particular sim. Airlines aren't particularly interested in where or how you did the MCC, and it's generally regarded as a tick in the box.

However, if you asked: "Would 20hrs of full-motion time improve my general flying skills more than 20hrs FNPT2?" then I'd say yes - probably. It certainly did for me (in the 737 at European). The MCC was my first taste of full-motion, and I found that the experience was so new that it took a bit of getting used to. If my first experience of full motion was the airline's sim assessment, I'm sure I would have been slightly behind the curve. As it was, I found the MCC experience useful for settling nerves at the sim assessment, albeit on a completely different type (Saab 340). I'm certain that I performed better having had the benefit of previous full-motion experience.

So really it depends how you view the MCC. If it's a tick in the box that you simply need for your CV, do it as cheaply as possible wherever you want. If you want to combine it with some potentially beneficial experience on something big, heavy and fast, you'll probably feel it's worth spending a bit extra and going for full-motion.