PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth prop strike at Rand

rudder hard over
10th Mar 2009, 09:54
I was at the Harvard Cafe at Rand having breakfast on saturday morning (07/03)when the Tiger Moth that was having it's prop limbered by the pilot, suddenly started . I felt for the poor chap reacing around after the Tiger Moth doing circles. He did well to get to the mixture, but sadly to late as it nosed over and the rotating prop struck the ground. I felt there should have been two crew at the Tiger Moth while limbering the oil. "Treat the prop like a loaded revolver and you should be safe"! Quite amusing for the other resturanteers who wasted no time in snapping pics of the stricken Aircraft.

TXaviator
10th Mar 2009, 16:14
never hand prop an aircraft without someone at the controls!! dont they still teach this in private pilot school?

Der absolute Hammer
10th Mar 2009, 16:41
Oh..it is fine if you have a chock under the nosewheel!
If there is no nosewheel then you do not need the chocko anyhow.

Vialengai
14th Mar 2009, 15:26
I was always under the impression that it was important to chock the wheels before starting a Tiger Moth. I also believe that many of the run-ups are done with the chocks in as the plane has no brakes. A friend of mine owns a DH82A and will ofetn fly on his own and indeed start it with on other assistance....I assume this is by knowing his aircraft and by how much to crack open the throttle before swining the prop. I feel very sorry for the poor chap at Rand...it is always sad to see the wonderful machines being "hurt"

Desperate Wannabe
15th Mar 2009, 07:11
Yes, indeed sad, and the poor pilot is feeling too terrible for words, I feel for him.
He was in fact starting the aircraft, not limbering the oil, but had the throttle set slightly too high, the aerie was in fact chocked, but ony on one wheel, instead of both, as it should have been, of course as the engine sprang into life the aircraft did a graceful pirouette around the one chocked wheel and of course the final bow for the audience.
The damage is not too bad, could have been much worse, or even injury to persons, thankfully it was just prop tips and an ego.
Forget about it boy, oops happen to all of us.

Der absolute Hammer
15th Mar 2009, 07:23
To beg your pardon but no, it does not happen to all of us. To swing a prop requires a serious train of thought. It is not one quick action of forgetfulness. So-while I have sorrow for the pilot-do not excuse it. Also- there ain't no such thing as an aerie- it is a figure of the speech usually thought to be clever and often found in aviation bars after a few wets have gone down.

rudder hard over
15th Mar 2009, 23:15
Jast wandering, surely there should be someone qualified in the cockpit when starting any aeroplane. Is it common procedure to start an engine on your own?? Any way, there's those who have and those who still have to as they say.