PDA

View Full Version : HMS Theseus incident

QuePee
9th Mar 2009, 23:54
My father-in-law served practically his entire career in the FAA on various aircraft carriers in the Royal Navy including HMS Glory, Ocean, Centaur, Eagle Victorious and finishing up with the Ark in the early 70's. When I get him down the pub and suitably oiled up he starts with a fund of stories including this one.
He was aboard an aircraft, believed to have been a Firfely and was despatched from HMS Theseus to Malta with repair crew and tools to rectify problems with three of the ships Sea Fury that had been grounded with fuel leaks. Shortly after take off from Theseus the aircraft ditched, all crew members managing to exit the aircraft safely. HMS Theseus sent the ships Sea Otter to effect a rescue, unfortunately however the sea cocks had been left open after maintenance and consequently on landing it started to sink. The Firefly and Sea Otter crew were eventually rescued by the ships boat after several hours in the water.
He bellieves that the ship was Thesueus, that the aircraft was a Firefly and that the date was round about 1950. Given that he is now in his mid 80's and these events were nearly 60 years ago any of the above story could be suspect.
I know that PPRUNE members have a wealth of knowledge and research tools at their fingertips, I wondered if anyone could confirm or deny the above story. I would really appreciate it if it was possible to put some facts to the story or debunk as just another artificers tall tale.

QP

Lee Howard
11th Mar 2009, 20:42
Only two potentials are:

Sea Otter RD913 of ASR Flight St.Merryn.

The starboard float was damaged during the unsuccessful attempt to rescue Lt RB Francis from 802 NAS Sea Fury VW578 whose undercarriage had failed to lower and who subsequently ditched 21 miles off Pendennis Castle on 10 May 1949. The Sea Otter sank and its crew were picked up by a motor launch from Falmouth.

Sea Otter JN179 Triumph Ship's Flt.

Whilst attempting to rescue crew of Firefly PP643 which had ditched on take off following engine failure, buckled the hull, 18 July 1948. The Otter is not recorded as having sunk, though. Sadly only one of the Firefly crew survived.

Hope that helps.

Lee

QuePee
19th Mar 2009, 20:18
Lee,
Apologies for the delay in thanking you for the information. I have been away on business and unable to catch up on things. Neither of the two incidents you mentioned seems to fit the bill exactly, however the second seems very close. I will be seeing the FiL soon and I will ask him to repeat the story and see if I can get any additional information.

Thanks again

QP