PDA

View Full Version : Air Show, BBC2 tonight - GREAT or what!

akerosid
14th Sep 2000, 23:37
This evening's air show must have been the best I've seen in a long time, and that's in what has been a thoroughly good series. You see the difference in quality and the enthusiasm that goes into it, all the way. Tonight's show was based around Hong Kong's new CLK - some wonderful footage.

The contributors to the recent Kai Tak thread would not have been disappointed either - they started with jump seat footage on the old 13 IGS.

Just wonderful!

AeroBoero
14th Sep 2000, 23:40
Missed the first half of the show......

But liked that NZ guy and the Hurricane....he is really in love with that plane!

------------------
Reporte través de XAREO

Ray Ban
15th Sep 2000, 00:09
Yes I saw it too - was definitely one of the better ones. Fantastic footage of Chek Lap Kok.

knows
15th Sep 2000, 00:23
The program is always a nice balance - not too "industry " orientated - so the public enjoy it as much as we do.
I can't understand why anyone would ever knock it!

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2000, 00:24
As much as I like the content & concept of the show I don't think the show is as good as it could be.

Admittedly it seems to be trying to be a light magazine type show which rather limits the depth of information they give. However, considering that it is pitched solely at aviation enthusiasts, I'd like to see more technical coverage.

For example, in tonight's show they talked about the fundamental differences between the Spitfire & the Hurricane's design & construction. Specifically, they made a point that the Hurricane was built along biplane methods & gave the impression that this was important (yes, I know it is...). Well? What are those differences compared to the comparison aeroplane?

However, the single most annoying thing in the program is the short time everything is in frame. What do they do? Hire cameramen on amphetamines? Or does the director suffer from mania?

This isn't unique to this show eg Some cooking programs, car programs etc etc.

It seems the producers can't tell the difference between a lively show & one that is almost unwatchable (in Jamie Oliver's cooking show it is unwatchable!). Instead they confuse skewed cameras, half second film sequences &/or cameras waving around drunkenly with being 'modern'.

Fine, if 'modern' equals 'moving wallpaper' and not 'convey information'.

Just my b**tch. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have particular gripes about media presentation? Or things that you particularly like?

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 14 September 2000).]

Doors to Automatic
15th Sep 2000, 00:31
I was in a bar and saw it on a TV in the background. Looked excellent - particularly the 13 IGS approach. Are they repeating it at all?

mach78
15th Sep 2000, 00:32
The major difference was the innovation of stressed metal in the construction of the Spitfire,the 2-section spar, one part fitting in the other, the completely separate tail section, and the engine compartment design.

Mooney
15th Sep 2000, 01:09
The IGS at Hong Kong just looked ace!

Also I was very impressed with the HK Fire departments equipment!

Great show!

------------------
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to
make all of them yourself.

Bash
15th Sep 2000, 03:00
I thought the Spitfire / Hurricane comparison was excellent. The commentator didn't go into great detail about construction but the size difference and the wing form were clear to see in the footage. There were plenty of Pilot's who preferred the stable gun platform and durability to speed and agility. This show is not just aimed at enthusiasts. It's on at prime time so too much technical detail would turn the layman off. If you're really interested in the nuts and bolts there are plenty of books available.

VFE
15th Sep 2000, 04:56
I was at work tonight and missed it.
Does anyone know if it's going to be repeated, perhaps on digital - BBC Choice or Horizons?

I asked my Mum if she could record "The Airshow".....guess what was taped instead!

Cheers, VFE.

------------------
And up we go!

swashplate
15th Sep 2000, 14:22
Good to see some positive comment about this show - I always enjoy it. Just be grateful that we actually get some reasonably informed comment on TV, rather than crap like 'Airport' & clones, Concorde docusoap etc.

Isn't Mary Goldring UGLY!!!!!!!!!!

kbf1
15th Sep 2000, 16:02
I would like it to move to a 1 hr format to give a bit more depth to the stories they run which always leave me wanting to see more. I would also like to see more in cockpit, out of window sequences like the approach to Kai Tak as in last nights programme. All in all it is well worth watching.

------------------
Remember: all landings are controlled crashes!

TPuk
15th Sep 2000, 16:28
VFE,

I do have it on tape. If you want to borrow it then feel free to mail me.

VFE
16th Sep 2000, 00:13
Cheers TPuk, thanks again.

------------------
And up we go!

Tinstaafl
16th Sep 2000, 03:12
I agree, a 1 hour format would do wonders for the show. Even 45 mins to allow slightly more depth.

PA38
16th Sep 2000, 13:09
Don't worry if you didn't see it, it's the BBC so it will be on again, and again, amd again, and again..........

BN2A
17th Sep 2000, 22:51
Chep Lap Kok?? They should never have closed Kai Tak... :mad:
'That' approach was loved by pilots, pax, and spectators alike, wasn't it?? I'd have given my right arm to do that low turn in a heavy jet.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

G.A. Button
18th Sep 2000, 06:52
I thought the guy who flew David Gower around in the Tiger Moth in the first series was dashing, intelligent and a damn fine pilot.

Arkroyal
18th Sep 2000, 10:25
VFE

BBC WORLD shows repeats ad nauseum about a week after Beeb 2.