PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain day

Vmike
15th Sep 2000, 04:28
Today is BATTLE OF BRITAIN DAY, in case you hadn't noticed.

It's also my son's first birthday. Cool, huh?

This is the anniversary of the day for which we owe our freedom to 600-odd very young, very scared and very inexperienced pilots.

Who among us, if anyone, would NOT have volunteered to fly a Hurricane or a Spitfire in England's direst need? There was no shortage of aeroplanes, just pilots.

If you can come up with a reason for NOT having been there, age apart, then throw your hat in the ring. Say so now, why dont'ya - and give good a reason why you woudn't have helped.

Kiteflyer
15th Sep 2000, 09:17
Well some people can never be pilots due to physical disability.. So your question is a little bit vague.

However in answer to your question, I would have been the first to volunteer. However they would have had to quit using Green flares as OK to land and Red flares as in... well no wheels, go around, the tea is not brewed yet.

Also I would not have known if I was bleeding or I had defacated myself!!!

Not everybody can be a pilot.. true in 1940. True now.

Vx
15th Sep 2000, 16:25
Well, ah, I wouldn't have helped.

Thats because I'm a German !

Arkroyal
16th Sep 2000, 18:35
Well said Vx, who said the german sense of humour is no laughing matter?!

You could have helped by not flying for the other side though.

The greatest achievement of everybody involved is that we are all able to indulge in this forum freely (and in English)

Me I'd a bin there! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Flypuppy
16th Sep 2000, 20:23
I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

When I was 19 I thought I was indestructable, as numerous crashed cars and motorbikes would testify. Only problem is I believe I would have been too tall to squeeze into a Spitfire or Hurricane.

Knowing my luck I would have ended up in Transport Command.