PDA

View Full Version : Florida IR Hour Building Using JAR Licence

Kevinirish
9th Mar 2009, 18:04
Hey Guys,

Im a PPL instructer and id like to make the step up to IR instruction so im looking for a school to do 100 hours of IR SE. i found a few schools in the states with great prices but ive to go through the hastle and time of converting to the FAA licence to build the hours on an FAA rated plane, Are there schools with JAR rated planes in the states?
if so what are the names? :confused:

thanks everyone!

Keygrip
9th Mar 2009, 19:05
There is no such animal as a JAA rated aircraft (for the purposes of which you speak).

The problem you have is the AIRSPACE, not the aircraft. The AIRSPACE belongs to the FAA, so you have to have a certificate acceptable to the FAA to fly through it.

If you wish to fly an FAA registered aircraft, IFR, through the Federal airspace you need either an FAA Instrument rating or have your JAA "IR-SPA-SE" validated for use in the USA.

Nop flight test involved - just a 40 question (?) written examination, multi choice answers, on a computer. Pass it, you get immediate use of your JAA certificate in N registered aircraft - fail it.....you can guess the answer.

If you want to fly a JAA registered aircraft through the airspace, using your current JAA ratings.....bring your own.

Halfbaked_Boy
9th Mar 2009, 19:20
Keygrip,

I am heading out to the States later this year (AZ) for a spot of hourbuilding - I have a JAA PPL, is there anything specific I need to send off beforehand for the conversion? Or would this test apply to me too?

Cheers

Keygrip
9th Mar 2009, 20:25
It's a standard validation to use your ICAO Instrument Rating for flights in accordance with IFR in Federal airspace.

Ask the aircraft operator (flight school?) about doing the "Instrument Foreign Pilot" (IFP) exam - they will likely have the facility to do it at, or near, the school.

You will, of course, still need the standard FAA licence "Issued on the basis of..." to pilot the aircraft - the IFP is just a validation of your I/R.

Halfbaked_Boy
9th Mar 2009, 21:59
Socal App,

Thanks very much for the information, it's very helpful. I'll be doing the ME CPL while I'm out there, but am aware of the visa requirements side of things, was just a little cloudy on the licence side!

Again, cheers, and all the best for the future. :ok: